Comscore

In The Heights

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
Leading Actor
In The Heights
Posted: 5/13/14 at 07:34pm
Has anyone else been to see this yet?

I like the show, but it didnt really work for me at the Southwark Playhouse. It seems the wrong space for it. There is no sense of location to any of it, and the playing area gets too crowded when all the cast are on stage. The final 10 minutes of Act 1, seemed a mess.
Another problem i had was with the casting. Yes the 2 girls playing Nina and Vanessa had great voices, but nothing about them said Latino or Hispanic backgrounds. Do we not have genuine Latino performers in this country? Unfortunately there were no programmes to identify who they were. The first half seemed to drag on and the second half was short, but not as interesting as the first. And I was probably meant to care about Abuela, but i think she was the weakest of the cast.
The choreography was good, but there seemed an awful lot of it. It may have been like that in the original production, but didnt work for me in this space.

I would love to see this on a regular pros arch stage.
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
In The Heights
Posted: 5/14/14 at 06:40am
I am mainly with you on your observations, but I would never criticise any actor performing in fringe, I would choose just to say nothing, as they aren't being paid or if they are very little.

The production didn't work as well as I thought it would and came across as muddled in places, I found the sound was ear splitting over amped and the scenic design, there was nothing there to give the show attachment to its roots Washington Height, New York, here I am not asking for backdrop of Washington Bridge, like they did on Broadway, but the thrill with the fringe is how they manage to improvise, with something different, which at times can be exhilarating. They didn't achieve that here, so this could be set as easily in downtown Los Angeles.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
In The Heights
Posted: 5/14/14 at 07:32am
Surprised by the comments on here so far - the buzz on twitter and facebook from people who've seen it - fans, actors and other industry people alike - has been nothing short of ecstatic. I'll be seeing it myself on Saturday, so will reserve judgement. Really looking forward to it as I loved it on Broadway and the creative team for the Southwark Playhouse production have done amazing work in the past.
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** LiCallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz**** Into The Woods***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** In Time O' Strife (NTS tour, Cardiff)**** Damm Yankees**** Natalie Weiss**** The Little Dancer***** If/Then***** The Band Wagon***** The Fortress Of Solitude***** On The Town*** The Last Ship***** Allegro***** Saturday Night***** Side Show***** Made In Dagenham*** Girlfriends**** Jacques Brel Is Alive And Well****
Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
In The Heights
Posted: 5/14/14 at 08:52am
"the buzz on twitter and facebook from people who've seen it - fans, actors and other industry people alike - has been nothing short of ecstatic"

Twitter is never a great indication as people are either overly gushy and fangirly or desperate to slag something off. And industry people will obviously support a show.

That said mostly positive comments on WOS

"I would never criticise any actor performing in fringe, I would choose just to say nothing, as they aren't being paid or if they are very little"

What a strange thing to do. You have still paid your money for your tickets, a show is still being presented, whilst I admire people who do the fringe for little/no money, that doesnt make them above criticism if they arnt up to the job.
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
In The Heights
Posted: 5/14/14 at 09:52am
"Twitter is never a great indication as people are either overly gushy and fangirly or desperate to slag something off"

True - but that could equally be said of many posters on the BWW Board LOL. No forum is truly objective - though, to be honest, I generally find comments that I read about theatre on twitter to be far more objective than most comments on the BWW Board and certainly less "bitchy". I guess it depends on who you follow - some people will be more objective than others.

But I just mentioned what I'd read on twitter because I was genuinely surprised by the negative comments in this thread as they are the only negative comments I've read so far about In The Heights. That does not mean that the comments posted here are not valid or are inaccurate - and, of course, I could end up agreeing with them after seeing the show on Saturday lol
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** LiCallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz**** Into The Woods***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** In Time O' Strife (NTS tour, Cardiff)**** Damm Yankees**** Natalie Weiss**** The Little Dancer***** If/Then***** The Band Wagon***** The Fortress Of Solitude***** On The Town*** The Last Ship***** Allegro***** Saturday Night***** Side Show***** Made In Dagenham*** Girlfriends**** Jacques Brel Is Alive And Well****
sparepart973
Featured Actor
In The Heights
Posted: 5/14/14 at 10:07am
Just booked for Friday the 6th and they did not allow me to select a seat. Is it free seating? I don't get it.
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
In The Heights
Posted: 5/14/14 at 10:20am
Yeah, Sparepart - the Southwark Playhouse has unreserved seating, as do most Fringe venues. (The Chocolate Factory and the St James Theatre are two of the few exceptions.)
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
In The Heights
Posted: 5/14/14 at 01:07pm
Generally won't say something negative about a person and would choose to say nothing on a bad performance, even as you say I paid money, they generally aren't getting paid money, it's grossly unfair and achieves nothing. I normally wouldn't speak ill of someone unless they are in a principal/starring role, in a big show, then they are fair game. I have bit my tongue on many occasion.

The problem with Southwark people get there and just queue, to get a decent seat. They don't then spend money at the bar, they should do what they do at the Southwark Union, where they had a excellent idea and give people a number as they arrive and call up a batch of people at a time, thus ensures people get there early to get one of the numbers to get called first and no point queuing as you can't get in until your number allocation is called, so might as well buy a drink.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
Leading Actor
In The Heights
Posted: 5/14/14 at 01:24pm
My views are definitely in the minority. It got a huge roar and instant standing ovation the night i saw it.

Its not a Show you'll see often in London, its a shame it couldnt have been more authentic.
Owen22
Broadway Legend
In The Heights
Posted: 5/15/14 at 02:12pm
All my London friends really love this production. It's a great score, I'm so happy London got to see it.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
In The Heights
Posted: 5/15/14 at 11:26pm
Phantom I own and direct and write for a very successful fringe company and I know my cast would want opinions on their performances good or bad as they are still learning and it helps hugely.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
sparepart973
Featured Actor
In The Heights
Posted: 5/16/14 at 01:08am
aghh...free seating! of all the shows that I am seeing by myself that week this happens to be the show I'm seeing with a friend! How early do we need to be there on a Friday?
luke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
In The Heights
Posted: 5/16/14 at 10:30am
If the auditorium is as tiny as the previous building that Southwark was home to was, you'll see wherever you sit.
THEATRE 2014: Strangers on a Train ***1/2; From Here to Eternity **; Stephen Ward *****; The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; American Psycho ****; Putting it Together *****; West Side Story (UK Tour, Bristol) ***1/2; Bold Girls (Progress Theatre, Reading) ***; Blithe Spirit ****; The Magic Flute (RWCMD) ***; Stephen Ward *****; Secret Cinema: The Grand Budapest Hotel *****; Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour Wimbledon) ****; The Lion King ****; Arcadia (Bristol Tobacco Factory) ****; The Weir *****; Good People ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ***; Urinetown *****; The Testament of Mary ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Miss Saigon ****; King Charles III *; Not About Heroes (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; In the Heights *****; London Road (Bristol Old Vic) ****; God of Carnage (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; The Hills of Tomorrow (Cardiff RepCo) ****; Mr. Burns ****; Love Labour's Lost...and Won (Reading Open Air Theatre) *****; Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***1/2; Pippin *****; Hedwig and the Angry Inch *****; A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder ****; Cabaret *****; If/Then ***; Secret Cinema Presents: Dead Poets Society, A Tribute to Robin Williams *****; The Book of Mormon ***; The Crucible (Old Vic) ****1/2; The Pajama Game ****; Kate Bush: Before the Dawn *****; Anna Nicole ****; NT Live: A Streetcar Named Desire: ***; NT Live: Medea ****; Gypsy (Chichester) **** COMING UP: Great Britain, Speed the Plow, Assassins, Here Lies Love, Made in Dagenham, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, City of Angels.
jaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
In The Heights
Posted: 5/16/14 at 10:40am
It is still small. I sat on the side and it was fine.
Loved the show, the choreography was fabulous.
sparepart973
Featured Actor
In The Heights
Posted: 5/16/14 at 11:12am
I'm sure the view will be fine, I just hope that my friend and I will be able to sit next to each other.
ajh Profile Photo
ajh
Featured Actor
In The Heights
Posted: 5/18/14 at 04:43pm
Gotta say I wasn't expecting this to be a patch on the Broadway production which I adored but it is absolutely sensational. The audience went bonkers at the end of every number and the standing ovation at the end is one of the most spontaneous and heartfelt I'd ever seen . Haven't seen many reviews yet but on word of mouth alone this should sell out given that it's in such a small theatre. Absolutely wonderful.
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
In The Heights
Posted: 5/26/14 at 05:31am
Saw this Saturday May 17 - and it is one of the most amazing productions of a musical I have ever seen. I loved the show on Broadway - and loved this production even more. It was quite simply breath-taking. Massive plaudits to director Luke Sheppard and choreographer Drew McConie. And every performance was from the top drawer.

I did not think that either Christina Modestou as Nina or Emma Kingston as Vanessa looked out of place as Latino and both were superb in their roles. In fact I thought Emma Kingston - along with Vix Hamilton Barritt - gave the absolute stand-out performances in the show.

I also don't think I've ever been in a theatre when the audience gave as much rapturous applause to every single number throughout the show.

Updated On: 5/26/14 at 05:31 AM

Message Board

Imelda Staunton Gypsy 23 Posts

BWW BLOGS

Advertisement