Baz and Pieces

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/8/14 at 08:58pm
A lot of theatre news from Baz in today's Daily Mail, not worth making several threads on this, so thought I summarise.

- New Harry Potter play, takes place before the films, when Harry Potter was very young. Project helmed by John Tiffany and being driven by Sonia Friedman. Expected to be in the West End by late 2015.

- The revival of East is East playing Trafalgar Studios Jamie Lloyds transformed season, with Jane Horrocks, from October 04th, I guess this will be the Christmas offering, so no Christmas musical.

- The sublime Rosalie Craig and Hadley Fraser to star in City of Angels at the Donmar Warehouse, directed by Josie Rourke, also from October 04th, I guess this will play until after Christmas?

- New play in development at the National. Richard Bean's play based on the Press, Police and the Establishment also encompasses the Leversson enquiry. To star Billie Piper and Oliver Chris, is expected to play the Lytterton this summer, (strange as I thought Oliver Chris was attached to Charles III, which is going to the Wyndham, this summer). Nicholas Hytner to direct.

- Dance Until Dawn with Strictly Come Dancing Flavvia Cacaca and Vincent Simone to play the Aldwych from Octobet 23rd, which means RSC's Root Hall and Bring Up The Bodies won't extend, unless they go to another theatre, which I imagine Roots Hall could go it alone. This is certainly not for me (Dance Til Dawn).

- Miss Saigon taken a cool £15 million. Must be New York bound sooner than later.

- Aladdin now looking at the London Palladium.

- Beautiful the Carole King musical which is breaking box office records in New York, is going into the Aldwych after Dance Until Dawn.

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
Updated On: 5/8/14 at 08:58 PM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/8/14 at 09:44pm
Wolf Hall/Bring up the Bodies could extend by another month since Dance Until Dawn isn't coming until late October.

Beautiful I'm not surprised its coming over since its doing well on Broadway. I wonder what's happening with Kinky Boots, I'm guessing they're waiting for the right theatre,
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 12:00am
SO happy about City of Angels.
P&P..hit or miss. Of every 5 tunes they write two are decent.
Pharoah
Swing
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 02:31am
City of Angels will runs to very early December. Then another production (probably Shakespeare) will go into the Donmar for the Christmas run.

Likewise with Traf Transformed. I'd be very surprised if East is East plays over Christmas. It will run 2 months I'm guessing.

Wonder what they mean by early 2015 for Beautiful- Jan, Feb?

And what on earth is going into the Haymarket and Garrick (prior to Scottsboro Boys)? Both their current shows end on 21 June.
Pharoah
Swing
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 02:35am
Just checked East is East- runs 'til Jan 3rd. Longer run than I expected...won't be qujte the box office draw that RIII is. Hoping we'll still get our production of Assassins though!
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 03:09am
Beautiful hasnt't been signed yet but it is expected to go to the Aldwych for Feb or March 2015. Dance til Dawn will run til early Jan. Fantastic Beautiful is trying a run in London

Haymarket may house a run of a few Chichester transfers. Guys and Dolls is expected to go there after Chichester

Love how Baz backtracked about Aladdin at Prince Edward, it was a desire but never realistic the show was never going to go in unless they wanted to wait 4 years.... Aladdin is expected to head to Palladium or Drury Lane. Disney would perfer The Lane but Charlie is determined to run and run despite loosing some box office momentum, the show, in my opinion, needs now a total rebrand to start appealing to families and tourists (and lower prices).

White Christmas followed by Motown is a cert for The Dominion.

Very Broadway transfer heavy next year... Kinky Boots will arrve in 2015 at The Palace more than likely, unless Dagenham flops massively and don't rule out Newsies still making a suprise opening, the show if it ever gets offered the right theatre will jump at the chance for a London run... but it has to be with in the next year or 18 months.

Also hearing news that Once could end its run at the Phoenix in September... ATG are developing musicals and Kenwright has a number of shows for October that end touring (Fame, Evita...) he really wants to bring in...

London Palladium is still without show to go in. Rumours of comedian/variety run is proving tricky to schedule. I hope they go with a show to fill... Starlight is still beng mentioned and West Side Story going in off tour for a run.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 09:14am
Lots of great news to digest here, but a shame the iconic London Palladium is going to be used for end of the pier shows.

Aladdin to come over will take at least 18 months, guess it will want a large theatre, so will not be in competition with Newsies, which I don't see happening, as West End theatre owners seem not interested in putting this on, or if they eventually do, it because they got nothing else to go in. I think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will close after Christmas.

Surprised Roots Hall will close, as the show has just opened and the whole run is virtually sold out, especially to put on some crappy dance reality programme, which probably won't sell.

Think Kinky Boots is 99% certain to get the Palace, they are just waiting for it to become vacant.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III***
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 09:28am
Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies was always intended to be a limited run at the Aldwych, it could transfer if a theatre is available, I imagine it could easily do a longer run at somewhere like the Duke of York's or Pinter.

Aladdin at the Palladium would be perfect but I can't it coming over untiil late 2015/early 2016 so the Palladium would need something that could fill in.

Is Back to the Future still looking for a theatre, I guess if Aladdin doesn't get the Palladium, it could go there.

Given the rave reviews and its sold out, I hope Sunny Afternoon transfers but not sure what theatres would be available

Updated On: 5/9/14 at 09:28 AM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 10:07am
forgot about Sunny Afternoon, imagine that would be for one of the smaller playhouse theatre, such as Harold Pinter, Noel Coward or Payhouse etc.

No doubt Let It Be has eyes to come back to the West End and the sequel Dreamboats and Miniskirts?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 11:49am
I'm surprised Guys and Dolls would go into the Haymarket as It seems a bit small for a musical but I guess there aren't many mid sized theatre available, Amadeus I imagine should it do well in Chichester will likely transfer, same with Gypsy.

prosarch
Swing
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 03:02pm
What's going into the Haymarket and Garrick after June? Other than The Scottsboro Boys.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 05:57pm
Nothing has been confirmed for the Haymarket as yet.

The Garrick has The Scottsboro Boys, which is an open ended engagement, so will not confirm another production, unless Scottsboro Boys announces it intends to close, I don't anticipate that this will be a long runner, but expect this to see out it's booking period.

With theatre at a premium and shows such as Back To The Future and Harry Potter needing a West End is it inconceivable that Billy Elliot or Wicked could close?
Updated On: 5/9/14 at 05:57 PM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 07:03pm
The Potter play I expect will go to a playhouse, maybe The Lyric if Thriller has run out of steam or maybe the NoŽl Coward or the Phoenix, We don't know how well Curious Incident will do when it returns to the West End so cannot rule out the Gielgud.

Billy Elliot I'm unsure about but I think once it closes, the Victoria Palace will go dark since they're planning a major refurbishment which will involve enlarging the stage and a new flytower plus other improvements.

Updated On: 5/9/14 at 07:03 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 07:13pm
That would mean the Victoria Palace will be out of action for at least 12-24 months, with those renovations. Obviously the theatre would be inoperable for this period of time, as that is pretty major renovation, but I wonder if they can renovate whilst the theatre is open, has really been 30 years since the Her Majesty theatre has been renovated?

Billy Elliot might get a resurgence in booking, as next year its 10th anniversary, it certainly has a loyal following, I know of a couple of people who have seen Billy 350+ times and 900+ times.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/9/14 at 07:35pm
Maximum it would be dark is 12 months, the Prince of Wales had a much more extensive renovation was dark was that long. They've has planning permission for ages but I think they're waiting for TFL's rebuilding of Victoria Station to be almost complete before they've start which will be 2016.

dgjbear
Featured Actor
Baz and Pieces
Posted: 5/10/14 at 04:37am
So encouraging to see so much new work potentially coming in

Message Board

Miss Saigon Previews 130 Posts

BWW BLOGS