A Small Family Business

dave1606
Broadway Star
A Small Family Business
Posted: 4/10/14 at 11:17am
Hi all,

New Yorker coming over to London for a bit this summer. Wondering what people think of A Small Family Business. Last year I saw Relatively Speaking which was one of my favorite shows of the whole trip and The Norman Conquests are one of my favorite theatrical experiences ever. Does anyone have opinions on this play in particular though? I know it just started performances but wondering if anyone has seen past productions?

devonian.t
Broadway Legend
A Small Family Business
Posted: 4/10/14 at 02:54pm
One of Ayckbourn's greatest works- very funny and deeply tragic. It was a savage indictment of Thatcher's Britain, and it seems highly relevant all over again!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
A Small Family Business
Posted: 4/10/14 at 06:27pm
It got mixed reviews, but if Alan Ayckbourn is your bag you MUST see this, in the same way if I was in New York, I would see Tennessee Williams, Eugene O'Neill or Arthur Miller,as you said in your introduction you are over here quite a bit this Summer, so it is doable and it is being shown in the great National Theatre. If you want to catch more of Ayckbourn's work, then another one of his plays is touring and is playing a couple of venues close to London.

Things We Do For Love:

Richmond Theatre - 19th - 24th May
New Theatre, Woking Theatre - 26th - 31st May
Churchill Theatre, Bromley - 9th - 14th June

It is a Theatre Royal, Bath production, so had excellent provenience.

Incidentally mentioning Maggie Thatcher, I was at the press night of Handbagged tonight, it wasn't an easy night!

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**

Message Board

Buyer and Cellar 1 Posts

BWW BLOGS