The Full Monty to close 29 March

Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/16/14 at 12:30pm
In surprising news the cast got their notice last night that the play, which only started previewing just over 3 weeks ago, will close 29 march
Spotlight61
Leading Actor
Posted: 3/16/14 at 12:31pm
This is really disappointing news.

It had great reviews on its regional tour and there was great optimism that the show would do well in London.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/16/14 at 12:53pm
Echo that, it's quite a fun show, when I saw this last weekend.

I didn't think sales for this was that bad and the theatre was quite busy when I was there, albeit on a Saturday night. It had quite decent reviews. Also I never noticed any discounts for this.

Quite rare for a show in London to close early, shows normally run their planned length, last time this happened must be for Great Expectations, this just mean there will be a empty theatre for 2 months now!
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/16/14 at 12:59pm
Unless there is a filler then it'll be dark until Shakespeare in Love opens in July,
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/16/14 at 01:16pm
Something will fill,hard to think what thought, just looked at UK tours and nothing is due to finish soon that is suitable, thought they go with something like Petticoats and Dreamboats or The Rat Pack, but they are well into their tours, or if it's a complete crisis play your get out of jail card card (Derren Brown).
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
lotiloti
Leading Actor
Posted: 3/17/14 at 06:17am
Saw this on Saturday,I'm frankly not surprised it's closing. It just isn't funny, very dissappointed.
Also as it was a Sat night, I was surprised the royal circle was only thee quarters full.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/17/14 at 01:23pm
I thought it was great on tour, i reviewed the show in Manchester and gave it a 4 i believe, what a shame its had such a short run
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
DeNada
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/17/14 at 03:49pm
I'm finding it harder and harder to predict what is going to be a success. I don't seem to have huge difficulties in predicting flops (given that virtually everything flops that's not hard, I guess) but I really thought this would be a success.

Is it a mismatch of audience? Is it just "too late" now, for a film coming up 20 years old to have any real attraction on stage? Is it the lack of stars? I dunno. I genuinely thought this had a chance of doing well.
Stewart A
Stand-by
Posted: 3/17/14 at 05:41pm
It'll be interesting to see how Fatal Attraction does as that's another film to stage adaptation and was on screen 27 years ago plus how will Shakespeare In Love do?
jaqs
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/18/14 at 04:25am
Fatal attraction has the most offers in my inbox, imagine it can't have sold well yet.
Think I only saw a free drink offer for the full monty though.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/18/14 at 08:59am
Just had a flick through the seating chart on the Delfont mackintosh website and observed that there aren't many empty seats, so I am a bit perplexed still why this show is actually closing.
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 3/18/14 at 05:41pm
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/sir-cameron-mackintosh-david-pugh-keep-the-full-monty-in-london-s-west-end-until-june-2014#share

Below is a statement from the writer Simon Beaufoy which he added when signing the petition against the closure above. Its very bizarre.

I think it's okay to add my name to this petition- I wrote the play....
Like the other people on this list, I am devastated the show is ending early and pondering on how on earth that can happen to a play that regularly gets standing ovations. If it was a bad show, I'd understand- or even a ho-hum sort of affair. But read what the Telegraph and the Times have to say about it, or better still read on Twitter what the audiences felt about it. On Monday, we got an Olivier nomination for Best New Comedy: on Saturday we were given notice. That's a steep dive by anyone's standards.
We were told that Delfont Mackintosh had closed the show, but the email below that came from a Delfont Mackintosh employee to a ticket holder says different.
Thank you for your email.

The producers have decided to close the show early. We have not been given full details and only found out this morning.
The box office are in the process of contacting all customers to offer an exchange or refund.
If you wish to make a complaint to the producers please write to:

XXXXX
XXXX

Yours Sincerely,
XXX
Which begs the question why would a producer close his own show before it had any chance of finding an audience? On the other hand why would a producer never come to see his own show in the West End? Perhaps he can answer these questions. I can't because he hasn't spoken either to me or the creative team in months. He absented himself utterly from the West End run of the play. Without his undoubted skills and experience, a producerless show faltered.
To everyone who bought tickets and now can't see it, the woman who bought flights from Japan especially for the show, the coach driver in Richmond who had his coach booked out for three hundred people...I am so sorry. We so wanted to put a smile on your face. And that was guaranteed. Simon
Simon Beaufoy
DeNada
Broadway Star
Posted: 3/18/14 at 07:40pm
The plot thickens, then!

So who pulled the plug? Delfont Mackintosh due to low rent? David Pugh/Dafydd Rogers? Or Dan Bates in Sheffield? I can't believe it would be Dan - that would make things incredibly awkward back in Sheffield given that Daniel Evans directed. Which of David and Dafydd is "the producer" that Simon Beaufoy is referring to?

Obviously without access to ticket sales figures we are unlikely to find out the full story. I would have thought that Simon Beaufoy, of all people, would be entitled to regular box office receipts and details of the show's running costs, although at this very early stage presumably no royalty payments would have been due on the London run so there would be no sign of production accounts as yet.

Curiouser and curiouser!
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 3/19/14 at 09:54am
They certainly say that the devil is in the detail!!!

They are saying on the What's On Stage site, that there is a possibility of Good People transferring from The Hampstead Theatre, which is sold out.

The run finishes on April 05th, so give them a week to transfer the production to open, this could be happening by April 10th onwards.

I did love Good People an excellent play, when I saw it at Hamstead last month. BUT that doesn't stop me in hoping that The Full Monty should stay put and should get a reprieve, but I guess the writing is on the wall and nothing will stop the closure now.

Message Board

Miss Saigon Previews 120 Posts

BWW BLOGS