Olivier Nominations

Simon Damon
Stand-by
Olivier Nominations
Posted: 3/10/14 at 08:04am
I created this as not to be confused with what people think they should be this is what they are.

Olivier Awards
Updated On: 3/10/14 at 08:04 AM
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Olivier Nominations
Posted: 3/10/14 at 10:41am
A shame that From Here to Eternity was completely overlooked. It was definitely one of the most enjoyable shows I've seen recently.

Looking at the musicals nominations though, it's not been the greatest year.
2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Olivier Nominations
Posted: 3/10/14 at 11:22am
Really no, From Here and Stephen Ward but that awful dud Charlie gets a musical nod..
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
Stewart A
Stand-by
Olivier Nominations
Posted: 3/10/14 at 03:54pm
Alexander Hanson deserved a nod even if the show Stephen Ward didn't get one. The two guys from Merrily We Roll Along also should have got nods.
TBFL
Featured Actor
Olivier Nominations
Posted: 3/10/14 at 08:29pm
Would have liked to see Javier DeFrutos get a nod for From Here To November, the choreography was the best part of the show and certainly more interesting than the choreography in Charlie...

And Tell Me On A Sunday as best revival??? ROTFL!!!!!
Simon Damon
Stand-by
Olivier Nominations
Posted: 3/11/14 at 04:31pm
One Women Show as best revival am I missing something
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Olivier Nominations
Posted: 3/11/14 at 06:40pm
I'm more bemused by the inclusion of Peter & Alice and 1984 as Best New Play. Yikes.

Also Best Actor in a Play is fairly dull with all those big names. Chiwetel Ejiofor was remarkable in A Season in the Congo and no nomination.

Also what is that nonsense Best Achievement in Music award about?! Sad we don't have a Best Original Score award.

Agree that the men of Merrily were robbed. And its offensive that there is only one supporting award in musical unlike the split in non musical. Why does Best Comedy include plays?

Agree that Charlie getting the nod for Best New Musical and Choreography is bemusing. I would have liked to have seen American Psycho on the list. Also bemused that Linda Bassett and Jessica Raine were overlooked in Roots.
Owen22
Broadway Legend
Olivier Nominations
Posted: 3/12/14 at 11:22am
Having seen most of the male musical performances in the West End this season, none gave as electric and moving a performances as Robert Lonsdale. For shame.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Olivier Nominations
Posted: 3/18/14 at 05:50am
'And its offensive that there is only one supporting award in musical unlike the split in non musical. Why does Best Comedy include plays?'

Just quoted from a previous post on here, mrkringas post.

I agree that the Olivier Awards should have the best supporting actor (musical) awards split between the sexes, why have them split for plays and not musicals? makes no sense to me. Also have the creative awards split between plays and musicals, as these are 2 separate genres of theatre, it is like have ballet competing with opera, again makes no sense to me to combine the two. I also agree we should have separate awards for score and also an award for best book of a musical.

I agree we should have a comedy section for plays, that competes separately from the serious play. The West End produces many plays, the National Theatre puts on more plays in a year than Broadway put on in a year, so there is a good reason to have more award sections for plays, to give other outstanding productions a fighting chance of winning something, that would otherwise be overshadowed. If I had my way I also would split the best revival awards for play between classic revival, which would be for any play written before 1900, this would include playwrights such as Shakespeare, Ibsen, Turgenev, Molina and Chekhov etc and modern revival, which would encompass plays written after 1900 and would include plays by Harold Pinter, Noel Coward, Alan Ayckbourn, Arthur Miller, Eugene O'Neill and Tennessee Williams etc.

However call me an old cynic but I don't think any of the above will happen, as this will mimic the Tony Awards, except from splitting the play revival category between classic and modern revival and as said by some on here the Oliver Award committee are very stuffy and would never be seen to lose face that the American award Tony structure is superior to ours and would be determined to keep their own stamp on their awards, even if this is detrimental to our great theatre industry, which is a shame.

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Message Board

BWW BLOGS