Beverley Knight in Memphis

Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 2/20/14 at 06:37pm
According to The Daily Mail's Baz, Knight is to star in Memphis from October. Also The Bodyguard is as already thought looking for a new home as Made In Dagenham will move in to The Adelphi.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2564271/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Now-DiCaprios-Wolf-stage-door.html

Updated On: 2/20/14 at 06:37 PM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/20/14 at 10:14pm
Good casting for Memphis, it'll be interesting who they cast as Huey. I doubt The Bodyguard would transfer to another theatre unless it downsizes so I imagine it'll more likely close.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/21/14 at 03:25am
Good casting but I have a feeling it will take more than Bev to secure this show taking off. She has done wonders with Bodyguard because it's a well known person in a well known show singing well known songs. A brand new show with brand new songs, we'll see. I suspect audience will imagine Memphis is a catalogue show of soul music so may get a surprise...

Bodyguard closing at Adelphi is such a shame and one I imagine RUG solely regret. The show is being sized up for a few theatres for a September transfer and if it can fit in one of those theatres I think it will go there and enjoy a good few more years. The other theatre it's rumoured to be looking at I think would be a huge mistake as it's too big...

Beverely Knight at the minute is the woman of the moment joining Sheridan Smith as a lady in demand for musicals. Bridget Jones is still waiting on Sheridan...!
Stevie72
Stand-by
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 2/21/14 at 05:04am
Max has been in Musicals as well on Tour and I think he would be a perfect fit for Huey.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/21/14 at 07:10am
Seems to be confirmed here

http://memphisthemusical.com/
Stevie72
Stand-by
Posted: 2/21/14 at 07:37am
Shaftsbury Theatre the cursed theatre interesting or has hairspray lifted it
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/21/14 at 10:29am
I wonder what theatre The Bodyguard is looking at, The Aldwych seems the most likely, the other midsized theatres are booked well into next year,
sparepart973
Featured Actor
Posted: 2/21/14 at 10:46am
What about the Lyric Theatre where Thriller is?
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 2/21/14 at 12:00pm
Memphis begins previews 9 October, Opening night 23. Knight has now confirmed her Bodyguard departure on 31 May.

Had heard Mowtown was looking at the Aldwych. Ian Harrison is denying Bodyguard has been given notice by the Adelphi but i would think it seems likely they will be.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/21/14 at 12:12pm
Rumours have been swirling around for a while, that Made In Dagenham is linked to the Adelphi.

Great news that Memphis is finally coming over, musical puritans over on the Broadway board tended to loathe this, the 3 1/2 times I saw this i loved it, the show with 'Memphis Lives In Me' has one of the best eleven o'cloak numbers.

The easy part is done finding Felicia, now the hardest part now is finding a Huey, where I don't think there is an actor in the UK who could play the role with any justice? I hope either Chad Kimbal or Adam Pascal comes over who were both awesome.

What an awesome week for theatre news?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel****
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/21/14 at 04:20pm
I wonder how reduced these 'reduced price previews' will be
RW3
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/23/14 at 12:35am
I think Oliver Tompsett could play Huey
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/23/14 at 01:02am
Oh I hope not. Great voice but find his acting so wooden
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/23/14 at 03:55am
ROSS HUNTER would be an amazing Huey!

He was fantastic as Drew in Rock Of Ages, Galileo in WWRY and Warner in Legally Blonde.

And he gave an awesome vocal rendition of Memphis Lives In Me at one of the Giggin4Good concerts at the Actors' Church a couple of years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeitiE2W7gc
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn***
hanschens
Stand-by
Posted: 2/23/14 at 03:33pm
What about Ryan Molloy for Huey?
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 2/23/14 at 04:21pm
Molloy did say he had an exciting project soon when announcing departure From Jersey Boys. Really not sure who I see as Huey.
hanschens
Stand-by
Posted: 2/23/14 at 05:13pm
That's what made me (and a couple of other people I know) wonder whether or not he would be playing Huey. His announcement of his leaving Jersey Boys for the project fits with the announcement of Memphis quite nicely, timewise. He does seem to be a good fit for the role, in my opinion.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/23/14 at 05:34pm
If Molloy was going to play the role of Huey, wouldn't the producers announced this at the same time as Beverley Knight.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel****
RW3
Broadway Star
Posted: 2/23/14 at 07:41pm
Not necessarily. In this case, Knight is the bigger star and she will attract ticket sales and make people want to see Memphis. It's all about marketing.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/24/14 at 02:07am
I guess the word "star" is relative to the background of the target audience. I have to be honest - I had never ever heard of her before she was in The Bodyguard lol
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn***
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/24/14 at 02:39am
Beverley Knight is indeed the star and will shift tickets, like she did with The Bodyguard, that's why producers moved heaven and earth to secure her services, however it is no good announcing the 'star', when tickets don't go on sale for another 2-3 weeks.
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 2/24/14 at 01:28pm
I could be miles wrong, but i don't think they had quite intended to announce it when it was leaked by Baz. Everything was rushed intact most press releases were missing details, the holding website went live half way through the day after leaked without much info and only then did the big news agencies pick up the story. Thats not how announcements like this usually work.

Knight is definitley the Star, without her The Bodyguard would likely have already closed as it was faltering towards end of Headley's run.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/24/14 at 02:20pm
I agree, it was all quite rushed and half hearted. I think Baz stole their thunder
Blethering Scot
Understudy
Posted: 2/24/14 at 03:29pm
See that Ryan Molloy's project is Fings Ain't What They Used T’Be.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 2/24/14 at 03:37pm
He could still do memphis, they dont clash dates wise

Page:

Message Board

Cheap day tickets 2 Posts
When to buy tickets 6 Posts

BWW BLOGS