Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - Manchester prior to the West End

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
I was reviewing this tonight for What's on Stage Manchester (i will post the review tomorrow) but all i will say is WOW...go and see it, stunning production
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Stevie72
Stand-by
Will it be too late for the Olivier Awards
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Is that a 5 star review from our very own SADM?

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
Updated On: 2/19/14 at 05:37 PM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Indeed, great show
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Glad you enjoyed this, you review has certainly wetted my appetite, when it comes down to London.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
This is another one of those instances where I did not like the movie at all (Steve Martin always leaves me totally cold, I'm afraid) but absolutely loved the stage musical, which I saw on Broadway.

I have to admit, though, that the news of casting for the UK production did not have me rushing to book a ticket (especially as John Lithgow, Norbert Leo Butz and Sherie Rene Scott were all so fantastic in New York). But SADM your review has heightened my interest in seeing it in London, so will look into booking for sometime later in the year.

THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time***** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen***** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway****
Updated On: 2/20/14 at 01:55 PM
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
I loved the Broadway cast as well, it took me about 20 mins to get them out of my head since the 2 lead males play it very different but it works great. Kathleen will blow Scott out of your mind
Stevie72
Stand-by
It is similar to the mixed reviewed Broadway Production or very different.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Id say the West End casting equals the Broadway cast in terms of calibre, in fact to me its a more appealing cast (I find Norbert Leo Butz quite underwhelming)
Stevie72
Stand-by
yes but is the same numbers set design by the same people
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Well yes it's the same show of course (same songs etc) but the set design is totally different (it's far better I thought) and the orchestra of 12 sounded wonderful
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
There are very few people anywhere that rival the calibre of Norbert Leo Butz IMO - he's one of the few actors I would see a show for just because he's in it. He was fantastic in DRS, phenomenal in Big Fish and his performance was the only thing in Catch Me If You Can that kept me interested in the show. (And his vocals on the L5Y cast recording are simply divine.) Rufus Hound may well turn in a great performance too - will wait to see. But it's going to take quite something to match Norbert.
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway I(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert***** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends**** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good -When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!*****. Zanna, Don't!***** West End Fest***** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time***** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen***** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway****
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Just back from the first preview at the Savoy. Sound board person said they had had one runthrough at the theatre before tonite's performance.

I had not seen the show before (but had the OBC and the Tony performance), so it was all new to me.

Seemed like they were a lot of guests in the audience. The audience was ripe for the show. First standing ovation I've seen a show get in London since we got here in late December.

There was entrance applause for Robert Lindsay and Samantha Bond. Since I was not familiar with either of them (not being from these parts), I only hoped they lived up to the expectations the audience clearly had for them. I thought the two of them were phenomenal and they walk away with every scene they are in - which is a little difficult when they share a scene! So, they earned that entrance applause.(Now, if Lindsay can only manage to catch his hat with his foot).

I wasn't crazy about Rufus Hound, finding him to be the weakest link in the show. I thought he was too shlubby without much charm. He was good - but not so dynamic that you walked out talking about him. During his big number - Great Big Stuff - I found myself watching all the other people in the number who are really working it.

John Marquez as Andre was more impressive to me that Mr. Hound. Other than Lindsay and Bond, he was my favorite.

Katherine Kingsley is an honest sincere believable Christine Colgate with a full dynamic voice - and then she goes up into soprano land! Oh, and even with out heels, she appears tall on stage.

One of our group thought there was no way Lizzie Connolly as Jolene from Oklahoma could not be an American actor. Well, he was wrong. That just shows how good a performance she put out.

The costumes! WOW! The costumes are magnificent.
The orchestra sounded great.
The choreography was a little big for the Savoy stage, so it got a little crowded. So, some of the numbers may lose a few dancers - which would be a shame.

While there are some inappropriate moments for the younger set, this felt like a much more traditional BIG musical comedy and I enjoyed the heck out of it. This is a definite must see.

Updated On: 3/10/14 at 07:30 PM
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Sounds like it's going to great, I'm going next week and I'm looking forward to it.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I saw this in previews this evening and the show does leave some questions, such as: what happened to Steve Martin? Why did this show take 9 years to come over from Broadway? Why is this show so good, that it caused our very own SADM to gush?

Let's deal with the bad first and that's Rufus Hound's singing, which I must admit I did cringe a couple of times, however he puts in a fine acting performance. That's the bad out of the way.

There will be no contention from me if people want to talk about Dirty Rotten Scoundrels as the best new musical in London, it is certainly the best musical since Book of Mormon. In another thread I said Kinky Boots is the musical London is waiting for, tonight I was made to realise my error in this very fine show, you have fine performances from both the effervescent Samantha Bond and Katherine Kingsley, John Marquez is good fun, but Robert Lindsay where do you start? Can I say he is giving the finest performance in the West End, could I mention, he is certainty for an Olivier next year, maybe he is giving the greatest performance in the West End in many year, since Michael Ball in Hairspray.

I am a glad I sacrificed 'I can't Sing', which probably be a different show next weekend, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels you can and should freeze now.

I have no clue what happened to Steve Martin, Dirty Rotten Scoundrel was worth the 9 year wait, SADM gushing that too was worth the 9 year wait.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Glad you enjoyed it, i just hope it can find an audience.
alterego
Broadway Legend
This sounds really good. A production opened in Sydney late last year and couldn't find an audience ... hope this production fares better.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
I really loved the show but it has faults that i think could really shatter its chances. Its been marketed as an old fashioned high quality musical but the storyline is quite modern and goofy. The main characters the actors cant sing sadly, rufus and samantha, and Robert Lindsay is messing about on stage in my opinion trying to steal focus, he is rearranging the songs and doing things off cuff which i found incredibly annoying. Although Rufus and Samantha do act the part well i think for musicals like this and being in the West End you need to have the full package or its just a "he/she was good but..."

To me I loved it but its very hard to gush over it. I sadly came away thinking this a perfect touring show but i think it could struggle in the West End but i really hope its tightens up and somehow some of the scenes really lift and this becomes superb west end show with a good life in town, it deserves it....
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
I think it will probably have a decent run, I liked it but I was upgraded from my restricted view dress circle seats to more central seats in the same row so it seems its not selling as well as they'd hope, I do think the show could tour without many changes with a name for either Lawrence or Freddy,

Message Board

Miss Saigon Previews 119 Posts
Great Britain 8 Posts

BWW BLOGS