I Can't Sing

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I Can't Sing
Posted: 2/1/14 at 07:00pm
I don't like to be a downer on a show I haven't seen or that hasn't even opened, but I guess in this post I am going to be.

I know a couple of you have posted on here that you don't fancy the chances of it hanging around for very long, I was thinking about this on the train home after seeing Book of Mormon tonight.

Firstly I thought about the cast and there is no one that the everyday punter would know, however how much I think Nigel Harman is an excellent actor, but he isn't going to be a box office gold.

Then I thought who this will actually appeal to:

Obviously this will appeal to families, who are X Factor fans, but the shows TV rating is going south and has lost its title as kingpin of Saturday night entertainment, this will be further diminished to families who can afford such an expensive extravagance and again the family market is limited to not school nights.

This will not appeal to the young professional market.

This will not appeal to tourists.

This will not appeal to the typical silver haired matinee ladies.

This will not appeal to the middle aged market, who seem to go for the lazy jukebox shows.

This will naturally appeal to the theatre fan, (but that market is only big enough to fill the back row cheap seats of the balcony).

I cannot see the name of Harry Hill and Steve Brown filling the iconic London Palladium unless the book is so side splitting funny, it will win the critics over and will need stellar reviews, then get good word of mouth and even that is a big ask.

I worry about the longevity of this show, did someone say in another thread that 'Back to the Future' would be looking for a similar size theatre?

2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I Can't Sing
Posted: 2/1/14 at 07:02pm
***Duplicate***

let this one die.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy*****
sparepart973
Stand-by
I Can't Sing
Posted: 2/2/14 at 04:07am
Where do you even get your off the cuff market analysis from? Your demographic analysis is completely subjective. If we are going on this kind of soft qualitative approach, then I would have to disagree with some of your statements.

> This will not appeal to the young professional market.
Based on what? I would think that many professionals would watch this show.

> This will not appeal to tourists.
X-Factor does not only show locally in the UK. It's a massive franchise that has local editions all over the world geared towards Francophone countries, all European local markets, Middle East & North Africa. It's a recognizable TV brand franchise around the world.
rockyhorrorfan
Stand-by
I Can't Sing
Posted: 2/3/14 at 11:28am
I couldn't agree more with Phantom. I reckon the majority of tourists in London come from America (where The X Factor is a flop) and China (is there a Chinese version?). The UK tv show has certainly been going downhill for several years.

The Sun is already offering 2000 tickets to the show. Sign of desperation if you ask me.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
I Can't Sing
Posted: 2/5/14 at 04:54pm
The performance on the Royal Variety was awful, terrible lyrics, bland leads, awful music, dated jokes (a Geri Halliwell joke really?
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Spotlight61
Leading Actor
I Can't Sing
Posted: 2/9/14 at 10:28am
I have seen a whole host of films and plays for free in the west end.

This is not a sign of desperation but more a nod to the power of social media in creating a buzz about a show or film.

However, it would appear that the shows producers have already decided where their audience will come from, the readership of The Sun, still the most popular daily newspaper with an estimated daily readership of 3 million. They are also the paper of choice by Simon Cowell for BGT and X Factor.

Imagine if just one days readership (not likely!) of this paper were to book tickets to see this show. You not only have a financial hit but a long running show too. The aim of this show isn't to appeal to a discerning audience, it's just to find an audience!

If even only half the audience were to like the show on the night and tweeted or Facebook'd this to their friends, then the advertorial reach is staggering and on shows like this word of mouth is big business.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
I Can't Sing
Posted: 2/10/14 at 05:00pm
I'm part of the "middle aged market" and I generally hate Juke Box shows - and I have never read a single page of The Sun lol . I don't think you can generalize about the demographics a show will appeal to or not appeal to.

I will approach I Can't Sing with an open mind - especially as it has an original score by Steve Brown, whose Spend Spend Spend score I loved. (Not even remotely a fan of Harry Hill though!)

Also the presence in the cast of the brilliant Cynthia Erivo and Simon Bailey increases my interest.

And - I just booked today to see the show on March 17th.......
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)*****
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
I Can't Sing
Posted: 2/10/14 at 05:42pm
I'm shocked bob! Thought this would be on your "against ever seeing" list :P.
Personally I can't wait for this, think it looks great!
2012 Shows!
The Railway Children, The Lion In Winter, The Comedy of Errors, Richard II, Pippin, The Ladykillers, Absent Friends, Shrek, Masterclass, Jersey Boys Rock Of Ages, Legally Blonde, Hay Fever, Singin' in the Rain, Abigail's Party, What the Butler Saw, Ragtime. [Booked] London Road, The Last of the Haussmans.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
I Can't Sing
Posted: 2/10/14 at 06:14pm
Mark - as I said, it has an original score so that makes it more attractive to me. And don't have "against ever seeing" shows - I always try to see everything. Hell, I even sat through Steven Ward lol
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol***** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz Callaway (cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange**** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand***** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!***** Molly Wobbly***** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)*****
Spotlight61
Leading Actor
I Can't Sing
Posted: 2/11/14 at 04:59am
I'm not generalising about demographics in my statement, the fact is that the producers are specifically targeting The Sun readership. Simon Cowell's TV arm, Psycho TV, makes use of The Sun during the run of his programmes to promote his shows. That is fact and the same strategy is being used here.

Also doing that doesn't rule out other groups of people seeing the show but the marketing strategy is being aimed at that social grouping.

As a theatre lover, the names of Cynthia and Simon may well arouse interest in you seeing the show but this is a show that has to reach a wider audience and those names along with Nigel's isn't enough in itself to fill a theatre.

Message Board

Water Babies 8 Posts
Heathers the Musical 4 Posts

BWW BLOGS