Elaine Stritch a Broadway legend or louse?

Hello doll!
Chorus Member
Elaine Stritch at Liberty on YouTube is well worth the 2 and a half hour watch. It is a hoot and her stories of life on and behind stage are a real eye opener. I am so sad that I never got to see it live in London. Did anyone see it live? Was it as good as it is on YouTube? Any other stories of the legend that is Ms. Stritch?
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
The day after I saw her in A Little Night Music on Broadway I was waiting by the Stage Door at the Walter Kerr to speak to someone at the Stage Door, about 2 hours before the performance that evening was due to start, and a black car drove up the sidewalk; Elaine Stritch steps out in a silk dressing gown, slippers, and her hair in rollers - (this is freezing cold January) and she heads toward the stage door, before entering she looks me up and down and says "What do you want, anything?!"

It was a pretty funny moment, and an unusual image, to see Elaine Stritch power across the sidewalk in a silk dressing gown on a cold January evening. The thing is that I didn't want anything, as she'd already signed my Playbill the night before! A moment that will always stay with me, because it was so...bizarre!
THEATRE 2014: Strangers on a Train ***1/2; From Here to Eternity **; Stephen Ward *****; The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; American Psycho ****; Putting it Together *****; West Side Story (UK Tour, Bristol) ***1/2; Bold Girls (Progress Theatre, Reading) ***; Blithe Spirit ****; The Magic Flute (RWCMD) ***; Stephen Ward *****; Secret Cinema: The Grand Budapest Hotel *****; Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour Wimbledon) ****; The Lion King ****; Arcadia (Bristol Tobacco Factory) ****; The Weir *****; Good People ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ***; Urinetown *****; The Testament of Mary ***; Other Desert Cities *****; Miss Saigon ****; King Charles III *; Not About Heroes (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; In the Heights *****; London Road (Bristol Old Vic) ****; God of Carnage (Progress Theatre, Reading) **; The Hills of Tomorrow (Cardiff RepCo) ****; Mr. Burns ****; Love Labour's Lost...and Won (Reading Open Air Theatre) *****; Pacific Overtures (Union Theatre) ***1/2; Pippin *****; Hedwig and the Angry Inch *****; A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder ****; Cabaret *****; If/Then ***; Secret Cinema Presents: Dead Poets Society, A Tribute to Robin Williams *****; The Book of Mormon ***; The Crucible (Old Vic) ****1/2; The Pajama Game ****; COMING UP: Kate Bush: Before The Dawn, Anna Nicole, Gypsy (Chichester), Here Lies Love, Made in Dagenham, Women on the Verge of the Nervous Breakdown, City of Angels.
sklabam
Chorus Member
probably some of each you know!? A legendary louse. She went out and toured with her show with private bookings at legit theaters and wouldn't pay her writer. Perhaps legendary cheap louse is more fitting.

Message Board

wicked plot help 7 Posts

BWW BLOGS