The Lion King UK Tour

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/21/14 at 07:42pm
Does anyone know the venues and dates where the Lion King has played please?
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/21/14 at 08:10pm
Bristol Hippodrome 31st August-November 17th
Manchester Palace Theatre 1st December-April 20th
Bord Gais Theatre, Dublin 27th April-June 22nd
Birmingham Hippodrome 28th June-28th September
Edinburgh Playhouse 11th October-18th January
Theatre Royal, Plymouth 30st January-15th March
Alhambra Theatre, Bradford 20th March-10th May
Liverpool Empire Theatre 16th May-5th July
Mayflower Theatre, Southampton 11th July-6th September
Sunderland Empire 18th September-1st November
Donald Gordon Theatre, Cardiff 6th November-11th January.

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/22/14 at 02:43pm
Thanks for that.

I was looking at the future tour dates and have noticed they have added Southampton, Sunderland, Cardiff and gleaned that the tour must have been on the road just under 2 1/2 years, so is doing really well.

So was wondering if there is any life after Cardiff or will Disney wrap up? The tour hasn't been to such places yet such as Norwich, Aberdeen, Belfast, Milton Keynes, Sheffield/Leeds and then it is possible enough time would of passed then that the tour could re-visit venues it has played already, so could be on the road for another 2 years, which is fabulous for a tour of a small island.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** Rock City**
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/22/14 at 03:03pm
Think the tour will wrap up after it plays Cardiff, the venues you mention aren't big enough to accommodate The Lion King.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/22/14 at 03:17pm
When the tour was first annouced im sure they said it was doing 12 venues, or maybe less.
As Jon says it wont fit in anywhere else

I think it will wrap up and wont be seen on the road agai for a long time
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/22/14 at 03:43pm
I am not expert in theatre dimensions and what will fit where. I take it you saying it wouldn't fit anywhere else as it is a big physical production, so the stages aren't big enough to fit the Lion King production in? The venues at Aberdeen, Milton Keunes and Leeds are accomating the Wicked tour, which I would so is as big as The Lion King? I don't know about Norwich, Sheffield amd Belfast though.

I understand tickets sales have been very strong, so isn't it possible for the tour to revisit former venues, like they do in America?
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/22/14 at 04:00pm
I think the Wicked tour is not as big compared to The Lion King, I think it's based on the 2nd US National tour which enables them to go to smaller venues that couldn't fit the first 1st US National tour.

Having Lion King in somewhere like Edinburgh and Dublin will not only have visitors not only from the city itself but also from other parts of Scotland and Ireland thus boosting the local economy and ticket sales for the show.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/22/14 at 04:47pm
Wicked is not as big a show as Lion King whether in London or on the road, both set wise but also all the costumes and masks etc which need to be stored . Its not just what goes on on stage. I think The Lion King is the biggest show to tour the UK. Take the fancy time dragon set up out the front away and the actual set design for Wicked is quite simple, and minimal.

These big shows rarely tour again, not without a long gap. Look at Phantom, les mis etc. Disney have already been very careful as to when they have aloud venues to announce on sale dates so as to not affect prime ticket sales times in London (e.g. prior to Christmas). These kind of tours are 'event' shows in the regional venues
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/23/14 at 10:37am
Yes, I get your drift that The Lion King is a far bigger production than Wicked to tour, obviously the carcuss of Wicked the stage is immense, what staging is there for Wicked? You have the classroom, Oz city and Necarosse house, I cannot think of much more? They utilise the staging well, even the staging for the epic defying gravity is sparse, there isn't much stuff that actually that takes up wing space like the Lion King does and agree they have to keep a lot of costumes in the wing as you cannot change into these in the changing rooms, as the costumes are immense unlike Wicked.

Intriguing to see what happens after Cariff if the Lion still roars!
Blethering Scot
Understudy
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/25/14 at 08:13pm
It's a massive production. The Edinburgh playhouse which is the biggest working theatre in the UK had to make alterations to take it., funded by the show I have to add. The revolving set and massive animal puppets take a lot of room especially in the opening numbers. A large backstage space is essential as set itself leaves little room. Had heard the production was unwilling to compromise of reduce even slightly in scale. That alone would make it nigh on impossible to go to some of these theatres. Aberdeen would never be able to take it.
Stevie72
Stand-by
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/26/14 at 02:03am
Just wondering if Brisbane Australia would be able to have the tour at all
keithp
Featured Actor
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/26/14 at 02:52am
The Playhouse in Edinburgh isn't the largest working theatre in the UK except by the measurement of the seating capacity. There are many smaller capacity theatres with much larger stages and more backstage space (The Festival Theatre
also in Edinburgh is one of them).
Blethering Scot
Understudy
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/26/14 at 06:21am
The Edinburgh Playhouse is the largest working theatre in the UK in terms of capacity. Its backstage space however is much bigger than the Festival theatre due to extensions put on the back. The Festival theatre as nice as it is does not compare. The work the Lion King carried out was knocking walls down at back of stalls and new aisle to allow the massive puppets to enter from rear of stalls. In process new bars were also fitted.
keithp
Featured Actor
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/26/14 at 12:45pm
The Festival Theatre has one of the biggest stages in the UK - a little bit wider than The Playhouse and considerably deeper.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/28/14 at 02:34pm
Disney would of undoubtedly done their maths, with the Festival theatre being like a large West End theatre that holds 1,915 and the massive barn of the Playhouse theatre, which is the biggest theatre in the country that holds 3,059 people.

Which means the Playhouse holds nearly 1,150 more customers, so if the average ticket is sold at 50, then this theatre would gross 460k extra a week, which is more than a lot of shows gross, also the added bonus if the Lion King decides to re-tour again, they won't have to the building improvement works again, the impression I get on here is that the Lion King will wrap up in Cardiff, so a revisit in the short term will be unlikely.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 1/31/14 at 07:36pm
I saw this again tonight in London and observed the set, there seems to be only 4 pieces of big stage props the main one being:

The rock, which comes out of the stage floor, but obviously this is different for the tour, where it gets pushed in from the wings and the apparatus folds in on itsself.

The Boneyards.

The Waterhog stampede, which has been altered for the tour.

The second rock the one which, Scar dies on at the end.

Also the London production has various lift under the stage which raises cast members onto the stage about 20 minutes in and also at times makes the stage raked.

There seems to be no compromise between the London and the Tour with the costumes, which is staggering and makes the Lion King the great show it is.

Also in my humble opinion what makes the Lion King great is it has no stars and it doesn't need stunt casting, also the amount of black actors involved, which seems to be under represented in theatre productions in London and the country as a whole, you can do colour blind casting for all parts, this for me is a joy of the Lion King and makes it one of the great stage productions in the West End.

On the minus side the removal of the great song 'The Morning Report'.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 2/1/14 at 02:07am
Yes the removal of Morning Report (and I believe the aerial ballet in Can You Feel The Love Tonight) saddens and puzzles me
Justin D
Broadway Legend
The Lion King UK Tour
Posted: 2/3/14 at 11:09am
I never minded the cutting of the ballet or morning report (although it does now leave zazu out of a song) but I wished they would have cut chow down instead.

the thing with the staging is that minimal staging can be deceptively complex.

the smallest production of lion king Ive seen was the Toronto production and they managed to cut a few corners, but some of the set pieces still take up alot of room.

Alot of the old theatres too just have onstage wing space but not space above the wings where the roof sometimes startes to curve inwards to the stage, and alot of those large props and costumes are flown above the wings.

It is hard to do some scenes too with out the main lift downstage that runs almost the whole length of the stage, some of those old theatres just dont have the room substage for that. The touring pride rock does compact rather small, but you cant do much for the 2 pieces that make up the graveyard (although they got rid of the tusks in the back that were 3d and just use a flat scrim.

not too sure also how much room is needed behind the cyclorama to do the lighting effects.

I still love the show, but the first time I saw it with the cuts it did seem odd, I guess its something to get used to.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Message Board

wicked plot help 6 Posts
Menier Christmas Show? 42 Posts
ENO Musical? 3 Posts

BWW BLOGS