New Yoik - New Woik, but then again

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
New Yoik - New Woik
Posted: 11/9/13 at 11:43pm
New Yoik Here I go again.

Pippin****
If Olympic Gold medals were handed out for athleticism in Broadway theatre, this would win a fist full, jaw dropping stuff happens on that Music Box stage. This is everything that the Menier production wasn't, a very well put together show. Patina Miller fully deserved her Tony, but then again I would say she was hard done by in Sister Act not to win one.

No Man's Land***
A Harold Pinter British play, two classic British actors: Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen and you have an enjoyable show on the American Broadway. Great to see two British stage legends ply their trade.

Matilda*****
Entered the lottery and won, so bagged a partial view side orchestra seat for 27 bucks, so who's complaining, as for the show which is a total delight, but hasn't shown any improvement from the West End, but how do you go about improving a superb score by Tim Minchin and a glorious book by by the old master Roald Dahl, which has been masterly adapted for the stage by Dennis kelly?

A Gentleman's Guide To Love and Murder****
A competent and well put together and very enjoyable in places, but its not your typical Broadway candyfloss fair, which ironically is why it will fail.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
mrkringas
Broadway Star
New Yoik - New Woik
Posted: 11/10/13 at 06:28am
Loved Pippin. Sure it has jaw dropping athleticism that wowed me and some magic that took me by surprise - but what it really had was heart. Rachel Bay Jones as Catherine - just brilliant.

Also hard not to feel deliriously happy listening to a full company belt out Morning Glow in harmony.

Plus a chilling ending - what more do you need? Oh cute buff semi naked ensemble boys? Check.

On a more serious note I am intrigued by "Gentleman's Guide to Murder" - hope it gets a decent run until Tony season when I'm next visiting. Did you not fancy "Fun Home"?
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
New Yoik - New Woik
Posted: 11/10/13 at 09:46am
I am still in New York and have another week here before I fly up to Toronto, next Monday.

I do fancy 'Fun Home', but all next week is sold out, wanted to see this Sunday night, this will transfer to Broadway.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar***
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
New Yoik - New Woik
Posted: 11/11/13 at 12:14pm
Romeo and Julliet***
Mildly enjoyable and well acted, Orlando Bloom seems to be competent in what he was trying to achieve, ***but confession time now***, I don't really get Shakespeare.

Annie***
Second time I've seen this production and again as above mildly enjoyable, good to seeAnthony Warlow again, before he heads back to Australia and in this production you see 2 attributes of Anthony: How much of a class actor he is and that in this production he is like a Lamborghini driving at 60mph, he never truly opens up, to show his true acting potential, so what I am trying to allude to is that this role doesn't challenge him and he is a better actor than the roll he is playing, but this doesn't detract that he he acted the role very well. Faith Prince played Miss Hannigan well, but at times a bit pedestrian.
Updated On: 11/11/13 at 12:14 PM
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
New Yoik - New Woik
Posted: 11/14/13 at 01:27pm
Newsies**
Second time I have seen this and god I hope this doesn't come to the West End, if does it get laughed out of town, this is mainly because of the cumbersome book and do we really care about adolescents that couldn't get enough money for candy and 10x Silk Cut? I shouldn't be that glib, the Newsises strike was quite serious, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny when held up to the great Billy Elliot, which action was live changing and is still felt in communities today, which was done to drive forward an ideology. Marginally a tad better is the score, but boy not much better, with 3/4 good songs.

Twelfth Night****
If Orlando Bloom was the apprentice in Romeo and Juliet, I let you work out who the master is? Stephen Fry was quite magnificent too.

Kinky Boots****
The show I was looking forward to the most, on my trip to New York, I feel good show, however Cyndi Lauper score really soared at times, but then nose dived and was patchy in places, before soaring again.
However this doesn't stop this being a fun show. led by Billy Porter, who was splendid in the lead role of Lola, if this comes over to the West End he needs to come over period. Unfortunately Stark Sands was out and his understudy was serviceable, I couldn't help thinking in the West End this would be a great role for John Barrowman.
I can wait for this to come over.

The Glass Menagerie****
Cherry Jones is brilliant edit superb.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
New Yoik - New Woik
Posted: 11/15/13 at 05:29pm
Its a shame you are watching a lot of shows you have either seen, could see here or shows you saw before and did not like (why go again?)

So much good stuff is happening Off Broadway
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
New Yoik - New Woik
Posted: 11/15/13 at 09:40pm
Yeah I dont get why youre seeing shows that you have already seen, and didnt like
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
New Yoik - New Woik
Posted: 11/16/13 at 01:34am
You notice different things in a show when you see it again, I did Newsies again, only because it was one of a few shows open on a Monday. Any case I go with the theory that if a off Broadway show is any good, it will make the journey up town eventually, I was tempted to see Fun Home but tickets are just impossible to get hold of and slightly tempted to see Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comets of 1812 and Juno and the Paycock. I did see the revival of Rent and would of definitely seen Carrie if it was still open when I was there last year.

A Time To Kill****
Based on the book by John Grisham, which I have read most of them and such a great shamr this closes on Sunday (is there not a god), I had the added bonus of the play being introduced by the author himself, who gave a 15 minute introduction. The best show I have seen on Broadway so far.

Big Fish**
If there is a saving grace and that is Norbert Leo Butz who is brilliant, but the rest just plainly sucked. The worst show I have seen so far on this trip.

Big Fish**
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
New Yoik - New Woik
Posted: 11/18/13 at 10:20pm
Cinderella***
Again another show I have seen already, but wasn't as good as the first time.

Betrayal***
I wonder why producers opted for Daniel Craig? Even though he done a reasonable job playing Robert, there are a lot more actors out there who could of performed the role a lot better and earnestly, but hey this is Broadway.

Fuerta Bruta: Look Up****
Missed the first 15 minutes after a frantic dash from the Barrymore Theatre, to Union Square, a complete environmental production and a direction some theatre is heading in, thhis is full on in your face energetic show, equivalent of slamming 5 red bulls.

The Wimslow Boy****
I saw this London, but was curious to see how Roger Rees performed the role, the London cast was better, but still an excellent show.

First Date***
The score somewhat supersedes the book which is quite funny in places, but the are several stand out songs from the show.
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/23/13 at 03:58pm
Stopped off in Toronto, on the way home.

Aladdin****
Looks like Disney has had its one wish granted from the genie and that is a decent musical at last, this one doesn't scale to dizzy heights like Mary Poppins or The Lion King, which were for different reasons both coupe de theatre, they are both remarkable pieces of theatre, but this one lies firmly in the brilliant Beauty and Beast territory, this is a lot better than the recent Disney outings.

It all starts off very light hearted in an Arabic souk, but the real fun starts at the end of the first half, when we finally meet the genie (James Monore), who is an absolute hoot, the genie's cave scene is the best part of the whole show and a brilliant parody of a Chorus Line is performed. The flying rug is breathtaking, but I feel this needs to fly over the auditorium, to please a fickle Broadway audience, however it was still for theatre and certainly made me ooh for a couple of minutes, which complimented the best song in the show 'A Brave New World'.

Even though I really enjoyed this one, I expect this to get a battering from the New York press, if not improved.

Les Miserables*****
'Who am I' to judge the greatest musical of all time, which has been revitalized for a 21st century audience, the 25th anniversary production certainly not an improvement on the original, but then again it's a welcome and thoroughly well conceived alternative.

However how much I praise this great musical and this one is certainly top of my list of greatest musicals of all time, I can't explain why Ramin Kamiloo leaves me so cold, despite a great voice.

Second trip to New York this year and have seen many good things, but more crucially haven't seen anything new that has completely wowed me.

Updated On: 11/23/13 at 03:58 PM
willep
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/24/13 at 02:27pm
Ah, you should have seen Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812! One of my favorite things I have seen in a long time.
Owen22
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/27/13 at 09:51am
Okay, I'm getting sick of people slogging off the Menier's "Pippin", though not quite the feat the Broadway production was, it was imaginative and fun in its own right. With a cast just as wonderful as Broadway's (Patina wasn't that much of an improvement over Matt Rawle, and those songs fit better in the throat of a male tenor than a belt contralto). And notice the West End critics were just as sour on the Menier production as the NY Times was on the current Broadway "Pippin". Despite "concepts", "Pippin" is "Pippin" because of that score, and both productions' casts did that up right.

Updated On: 11/27/13 at 09:51 AM

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Message Board

Book of Mormon Run 9 Posts

BWW BLOGS