Comscore

Lost Musical HOLLY GOLIGHTLY will be found at Lilian Bayliss Theatre in September 2013

bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Bob Merrill & Abe Burrows' infamous flop musical adaptation of Truman Capote's Breakfast At Tiffanys - "Holly Golightly" - will be one of Ian Marshall Fisher's Lost Musicals in his 2013 Season at the Lillian Bayliss Studio at Sadler's Wells. The show closed during previews on Broadway but there are some really wonderful songs in the score so I'm over-the-moon about this - and have already booked my ticket for Sunday September 29!

It will play for 4 Sundays from September 8 to 29 at 3.30pm. The other rare gems in the 2013 Season will be Noel Coward's Words And Music and Cole Porter's Around The World.

http://www.sadlerswells.com/show/Lost-Musicals-2013
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz CallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz**** Into The Woods***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** In Time O' Strife (NTS tour, Cardiff)****
rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
Broadway Legend
Wasn't it lost for a reason?
Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian
FrontRowDress Profile Photo
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
We've booked for all three of these and although the stripped down staging may be an acquired taste, Coward's Words & Music yesterday was an absolute treat. There are two more Sunday shows left if anyone fancies a masterclass from the Master. Full report on the blog as per.
Words and Music
FrontRowDress Profile Photo
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
Saw this yesterday and adored it. I reckon it could still be a smash with the right leads (Sheridan Smith & Michael Xavier anyone?) and especially if they could get the illusive rights to include Moon River. Full report on the blog as usual.

Holly Golightly
Updated On: 9/16/13 at 09:01 AM
Dollypop Profile Photo
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Who will they get to play Holly Golightly? Sadie Sink?
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Anthony Fremont Profile Photo
Anthony Fremont
Stand-by
Saw it on Sunday.

Thoroughly competent, thoroughly conventional, and thoroughly dull. David Merrick may have famously pulled the plug during Broadway previews, but he should've done it sooner.

Updated On: 9/23/13 at 05:26 PM
Nickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
This is probably an example of book being everything. Good songs and a good cast can only get you half of the way! Always nice to have museum pieces return, though!
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Anthony Fremont Profile Photo
Anthony Fremont
Stand-by
^I wouldn't let Bob Merrill off the hook, though. Whatever sins the Burrows book may commit, there's nothing that prepares you for the pure fat that is 'Ciao, Compare.'
Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Merrick had many famous flops. It is reported that during a preview an actor said "Is there a doctor in the house ? Richard Chamberlin of Dr Kildare was in it. Someone slledgedly yelled from the audience something to the effect that a doctor could not help this turkey. I have the double CD of BAT. The music was not the problem . Someone had the bright idea to bring in Virginia Wolff author Edward Albee to rewrite it. This was the kiss of death.

Mata Hari was another . An album was done of its Off Broadway incarnation " Ballad For A Firing Squad". It is on CD but probably out of print.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman.
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Saw this last Sunday and loved it. Merrill's score is delightful with a couple of absolute gems. And Abe Burrows' book is charming & witty. The problem was that Merrick panicked when the show was not going as we'll as he hoped out of town & brought in Albee to rewrite the book & the rewrite simply did not work. Full marks to Ian Marshall Fisher for all his hard work in recovering Burrows' original text & piecing together Merrill's out of town score & presenting this vintage piece in London.

An added thrill last Sunday was that Bob Merrill's widow was in the audience.
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** Liz CallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz**** Into The Woods***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** In Time O' Strife (NTS tour, Cardiff)****

Message Board

TKTS Urinetown 10 Posts

BWW BLOGS