Comscore

West End - Juke Box Capital

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/29/12 at 04:31pm
Is there no let up for JUKEBOX musicals? How many more can the West End Sustain? These have become the scourge of the West End.

We now have:

The Bodyguard - The Adelphi A blatant cash in on the death of Whitney Houston, early reports on here suggest it's ranges from not very good/mixed, so hopefully it won't be round for very long. I hope to see this, just to see Heather.

Dreamboats and Petticoat - Wyndham/Duchess - 60's tribute, doing the rounds again after closing at the Playhouse, saying Playhouse moving to the Duchess therefore taking away a decent theatre for the plays.

Jersey Boys - Prince Edward - based on the 4 Seasons, One of the decent jukebox genre musicals, has got a great book, but now been around for a long time now, rumoured to be on the move to the Gielgud, another great London Playhouse. One of the better Jukebox musicals.

Let It Be - Prince of Wales/Savoy - Based on the Beatles and crossing London to the Savoy another house that is used intermittently for plays and small musicals, a bit of a yawn for me and holds no interest.

Mamma Mia - Novello - Based on the music of Abba, with a great book, catapulted to world domination and spawned a smash hit film, really enjoyed this the three times I have seen it, but another show that has now taken over a traditional playhouse.

Rock of Ages - Shaftsbury/Garrick - Heavy metal jukebox, transferring to the Garrick. Splattered into the West End from a decent Broadway run where it's still playing, cheesy fun, but probably lost a lot now since the cast change, haven't seen it since the cast change. Not really a massive fan, but have enjoyed myself when I have seen the show. Wouldn't miss it if it closed.

Viva Forever - Piccadilly - Based on the Spice Girls, early indications suggest it's not very good, so hopefully after the Spice Girls fans have seen it; it will close and never be heard of again.

We Will Rock You - Dominion - In one of London's biggest theatre, opened to ghastly reviews 10 years or so back. Based on the music of Queen and of course the legendary late Freddie Mercury, who died many years too early, hence which gives the show its momentum into longevity, its certainly not the book. Enjoyed the show, on the strength of the great music, but wouldn't be sorry to see it go.

London theatre arteries are being clogged by the above, but there is light at the end of the tunnel with Book of Mormon, Once, A Chorus Line, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and From Here To Eternity However these shows are hurting the play more by encroaching on their territory, not that the play fan is spoilt by choice, as a lot if offered through the public subsidised theatre, but the shows on the West End non subsidised are different and these maybe being lost by cheap jukebox shows.

Broadway has only 2 Jukebox shows: Mamma Mia and The Jersey Boys.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/29/12 at 06:01pm
Broadway currently has 3 jukebox musicals...Rock of Ages, Jersey Boys, and Mamma Mia, with a fourth one opening in the spring, MoTown....
Nickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/29/12 at 06:31pm
Bodyguard it not a cash in on the death of Whitney; it was planned long before that tragic event. One can also argue that Singin' in the Rain and Top Hat are jukebox musicals.

New York has Jersey Boys, rock of ages, dusty (off broadway), Mamma Mia and Nice work if you can get it.

We have to remember jukebox musicals are not a new thing fro London; We've had Buddy Holly story, Crazy for You, Roy Orbison thing, Great Balls of fire, Saturday Night Fever, Tonight's the night, Return to the Forbidden Planet to name just a few. Plus The Beatles' films were early versions of the jukebox musical idea - but not as early as the dreadful Meet me in St Louis.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
zyx987 Profile Photo
zyx987
Stand-by
Posted: 11/29/12 at 06:31pm
Don't forgot Thriller Live.

Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/29/12 at 07:00pm
How could I forget Thriller live, which will run for a long time because of the death of Michael Jackson, however the show was up and running before he died (a producers dream, especially as Michael was due to do 3 shows a day for five years continuous at the 02).

Also how could I forget Rock of Ages in New York, ny last paragraph should of read: New York has 3 jukebox musicals, but also has/had great plays, that should of come over to the West End, but our theatres are clogged up with pointless jukebox musicals.
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel**** Hotel*** The Crucible**** Annie Get Your Gun*** (Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Medea*** The Importance of Being Earnest*** The Pajama Game*** Skylight**** Pacific Overtures** The Invincibles*** Julius Ceasar*** Porgy and Bess**** Dessa Rose** Great Britain**** One Man, Two Guvnors**** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Dogfight** My Night With Reg*** Book of Mormon***** Richard III**** See Rock City** Guys and Dolls*** Wicked* Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*** The Apple Tree*** The Jersey Boys*** Miss Saigon***** Matilda***** A Streetcar Named Desire**** The Dreamling** The Play That Went Wrong*** The Phantom of the Opera**** Fully Committed*** Bedroom Farce**** (Salisbury Playhouse) Sweeney Todd**** King Charles III*** Here Lies Love**** The Vertical Hour**** Love Story***** Altar Boys*** Evita**** Next Fall***** Cat On A Hot Tin Roof***** (Tour: Royal Deansgate, Northampton) Memphis*** The Scottsboro Boys**** Shakespeare In Love* Neville's Island*** East Is East**** Evita**** Into The Woods*** Gypsy***** (Chichester) Billy Elliot***** Seminar*** Damn Yankees*** Teh Internet Is Serious Business***
Boybooshka Profile Photo
Boybooshka
Leading Actor
Posted: 11/29/12 at 09:23pm
yawn, this rant is getting ever so dull. Why not take each show on it's own merits wherever it originates from? I've seen plenty of terrible 'original' shows too.

It's exactly the same argument people have against film remakes. At the end of the day, musicals and films cost a lot of money to produce and if the producers can hang the property on some kind of 'hook' that makes the investment feel a little safer than they will do so.
Nickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/30/12 at 03:39am
Not offering MY point of view - more that of the devil's advocate - but...

Theatre, and especially musical theatre, is about the art of collaboration and telling stories with song that move people and entertain.

Creating a jukebox musical is an art in itself. The songs have to be re-arranged by talented vocal arrangers, orchestrators, music supervisors and arrangers for example.

London should embrace the fact we have a genre of musical theatre that New York doesn't have. Why have a play or musical that's playing in New York also play in London? So the New york tourists can feel smug when they come to our shores knowing they have the same shows that were in NYC?

Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You, whatever you may think of them, are two mega-musicals that started in London; the latter being incredibly unique to remaining in the west end and not dying in New York.

On a Saturday night - would you rather have a show like Scandalous that's playing to 30% audiences, or We Will Rock You, that's filling out a theatre with a capacity bigger than any Broadway house could ever dream of being - employing actors, musicians, story tellers, designers etc for the past 10 years?

So - yes - London IS the jukebox capital; get over it and be, at least, proud that we're doing well with a genre we helped re-instate.

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Updated On: 11/30/12 at 03:39 AM
jaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/30/12 at 04:27am
I think we have to work out why the new musicals we do get in the westend are coming in in such a flawed state.
Ghost and Loserville had out of town try outs, both had flaws that were identified by many who saw them, yet they came into town without fixing them.

Why are the subsidised theatres not supporting new musicals? Why is the model that is working so well for new plays not being applied to musicals?

I dont blame the once a year crowd for not going to new shows when theyre not of a high enough standard.
Nickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/30/12 at 04:48am
Ghost was flawed because the writers were stubborn. Warchus and co wanted to cut that Ball of Wax song, for example, but Dave Stewart and Glen Ballard wouldn't allow it.

Loserville doesn't belong in the West End. The pricing structure simply doesn't match the demand - which is a teenage audience. It belongs on tour, and more importantly (and this is where it will rake it in for the writers) it belongs in the am-dram and school production market.

New musicals don't get supported much because they cost a lot to put on. You're paying larger casts than plays, employing twice as many creative team members (orchestrations, arrangers, conductors) not to mention employing a band or orchestra (who have very strict rules when it comes to payment for rehearsals and playing in shows).

We, of course, have had new musicals supported by the government funded bodies that have done well both creatively and financially - Matilda, One Man Two Guv'nors (it has 15 original songs) and London Road (though this will never transfer to the "West End")

AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/30/12 at 04:59am
The new musicals come in just haven't appealed to any mass market.

I would heavily oppose to Bodyguard cashing on Houstons death. I went to workshop of the show I think in 2010 or even 2009. It was scheduled for 2011 at one point but delayed due to theatre availability and Olympics.

The jukebox musicals work and they are commercial, don't knock the good ones doing the business, it keep theatre alive. You have to go where demand is.

To say the shows in playhouses like Dreamboats, they aren't taking or holding a spot for a play to go in because it's a filler, same if it goes to Duchess no play that can fund a run is going in and why have a theatre dark when a show that can pay the bills and have a decent run can work.

Viva will never die and never be heard of again as the marketing campaign and money behind it won't let it and their is an audience for it, just perhaps not a vast as MM! And WWRY.

I do sometime wonder with rants like this about commercial shows if some people would be happy with just constant revivals and shows like Loserville coming in every other month because big new musicals like Wicked aren't in the works! Without these shows the industry would have died a death and we wouldnt have much to talk about!
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/30/12 at 05:04pm
I don't have a problem with shows like Mamma Mia! or WWRY but I'm not a fan of shows like Thriller Live or Let it Be which are essentially tribute concerts with no story.

Jukebox musicals if done well can be as great as an show with original music, Priscilla had no original songs but it was still a great show,
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/30/12 at 06:37pm
lOl, since when has WWRY had a story? I know what you mean though.
Stewart A
Stand-by
Posted: 12/1/12 at 11:42am
To steal a song from Mamma Mia, it's all about 'Money, Money, Money' and jukebox musicals are probably more of a safe bet in the West End than original musicals as a lot of people will be familiar with some of the songs. I remember back in the 90s when Return To The Forbidden Planet won the Oliver for best musical over Miss Saigon and there was a bit of an outcry that a show with no original songs won over an original score. I have seen a few jukebox musicals and have mixed feelings. I enjoyed Mamma Mia and Our House as they had decent stories but We Will Rock You was one of the worst 'stories' I have ever sat through and the show was only saved by the Queen songs. The 'story' of WWRY would not have lasted five minutes in the West End with an original score.
bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/1/12 at 11:58am
I am not a fan of juke-box musicals but I do recognize that there is a place for them in the West End (and on Broadway). And it would be a ridiculuous conceit for me to suggest that because I don't like the genre then no one else has a right to see them.

There is no questioning their popularity and, if there is an audience of people who love juke-box shows, you cannot blame producers for bringing them to the stage. My only worry is that the preponderance of juke-box shows is the major stumbling block to new writing - there is a huge amount of great new MT wriing going on out there but the reason there are so few new shows in the West End is the reluctance of producers to take a risk on something new when a juke-box show is a relatively safe bet. Hopefully that will change - and soon!

As for currently running juke-box shows in the West End - I enjoyed some (eg.Jersey Boys and - my guilty pleasure lol - Dreamboats and Petticoats), hated others (eg Mamma Mia, Rock Of Ages).

I actually saw a juke-box show last night - Dirty Dancing on tour at the WMC. I did not really know what to expect as I had not seen the show before nor had I ever seen the movie. I kinda enjoyed it lol Set design/projections, etc were fantastic as were the performances. The music was not my real taste but it was okay - though the book was corny beyond belief.

But it was worth the price of the ticket just to hear the awesome Rosa O'Reilly's vocals on the opening and closing numbers!
THEATRE 2014: Seasons Greetings**** Suessical**** Stephen Ward* Meet Me In St Louis**** A Christmas Carol**** Kiss Me Kate**** Brent Barrett (cabaret)***** Shakespeare4Kidz Macbeth**** Jersey Boys**** LiCallawayI(cabaret)***** From Here To Eternity**** Putting It Together***** The Wit And Wimsy Of Alexander Bermange*** Kerrigan & Lowdermilk concert***** Fame**** Urinetown***** Finian's Rainbow**** Tom (Pontypridd)**** Songs In The Key Of Streisand**** Shona White (cabaret)***** Run, Fatboy, Run (concert)**** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman!**** Molly Wobbly**** Bouncers (Swansea Grand)**** Ushers**** The Beautiful Game***** Tom (Neath)**** Wicked (WMC Cardiff)***** Rags in concert**** Water Babies (Leicester Curve)**** Best Of Friends*** A Grand Night For Singing (Swansea Grand)**** Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Miss Saigon*****. In The Heights***** Giggin4Good When You Wish Upon A Star***** Godspell**** How To Succeed In Business**** The Pajama Game**** The Life Of The Party***** Zanna, Don't!**** Zanna, Don't!**** West End Fest**** Carousel***** Shot At Dawn*** Pacific Overtures ***** The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time**** Julius Caesar*** Anything Can Happen**** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Forbidden Broadway**** Is There Life After High School? (Swansea)**** Dessa Rose***** Marry Me A Little***** Dogfight***** Bare (Edinburgh)**** 6 (Edinburgh)**** The Addams Family (Edinburgh)**** The Girl Who (Edinburgh)** Unfaithful (Edinburgh)***** Alba (Edinburgh)*** Connected (Edinburgh)**** See Rock City** The Apple Tree**** Edges**** Hamlisch**** Dogfight***** The Return Of The Soldier**** The Dreaming**** Mamma Mia**** Dr Scroggy's War**** Les Miserables***** Joseph***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** Skyhawk (Swansea)**** The Scottsboro Boys***** Memphis***** Love Story***** Altar Boyz**** Into The Woods***** Buddy Holly & The Cricketers (tour)***** In Time O' Strife (NTS tour, Cardiff)**** Damm Yankees**** Natalie Weiss**** The Little Dancer***** If/Then***** The Band Wagon***** The Fortress Of Solitude***** On The Town*** The Last Ship***** Allegro***** Saturday Night***** Side Show***** Made In Dagenham*** Girlfriends**** Jacques Brel Is Alive And Well**** Holly At Christmas (Cheltenham)*****
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/1/12 at 07:46pm
Presenting this thread I haven't slated ALL jukebox musicals, nor have I made the case that they are stifling new musicals. The West End already have 5 big musicals confirmed for next year. Also as mentioned on this thread I cannot argue for new musicals when you look at 'Loserville', although a decent musical that has heart, it doesn't have a audience.

The jukebox musicals are a successful formula, I guess they are relatively cheap to put on and appeal to the more mature adult, who is likely to go to the theatre 2-3 times a year and can't be bothered to queue at TKT's, so therefore pay top dollar.

My gripe is that the jukebox musical is moving or planing to move into the traditional theatre that presents the PLAY such as the Duchess, Garrick, Gielgud, Novello etc, which would undoubtedly stifle new plays being presented by upcoming play-writes and stopping new plays coming over from Broadway such as the critically acclaimed Good People, Venus in Fur, Other Desert Cities, The Motherf***** with the Hat and Seminar etc.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/2/12 at 04:11am
Sadly Phantom, that isn't true in the majority.

Musicals moving into houses more traditionally used for plays because of size have happened for a long time for smaller scale musicals, jukebox or not. For instance 70 Girls 70 played th Vaudeville in the 70s.

Theatres have to make money which is why there will always be more musicals and why theatre owners will want them and investors to bring them over. Theatres can't stay dark waiting for plays and more, perhaps, intelligent pieces....

That said, i wouldn't worry, just look at this year and next the plays we had and have coming in.

I think 2013 could be the best state the theatre has been for a long time commercially and balanced
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/2/12 at 04:11am
Sadly Phantom, that isn't true in the majority.

Musicals moving into houses more traditionally used for plays because of size have happened for a long time for smaller scale musicals, jukebox or not. For instance 70 Girls 70 played th Vaudeville in the 70s.

Theatres have to make money which is why there will always be more musicals and why theatre owners will want them and investors to bring them over. Theatres can't stay dark waiting for plays and more, perhaps, intelligent pieces....

That said, i wouldn't worry, just look at this year and next the plays we had and have coming in.

I think 2013 could be the best state the theatre has been for a long time commercially and balanced
ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/2/12 at 05:51am
There are also some theatres that are not strictly play or musical houses. I'd argue, for example, that a musical or a play is fine at The Novello.
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain **** The Crucible **** The Pajama Game **** Mamma Mia *** Anna Nicole **** Barnum (UK Tour) ***** Simon Callow: The Man Jesus *****
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/2/12 at 06:23am
I think theatres are theatres it just smaller house suit plays because of size but doesn't mean they are meant on,y for plays.

Look at One Man (Adelphi run), War Horse in "musical" houses...

If the show can work in the house commercially that's really what it comes down. It's just generally plays are in small houses and musical larger...
Nickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/2/12 at 08:45am
Buddy played at the Novello (then Strand) for about 3000 years...

A theatre is a theatre. If it brings in people, making money for the owners (Cameron or Andrew) rather than having a limited play run for 4 weeks, then be dark... that's what's important.

Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/2/12 at 09:16am
The Novello, Savoy and also The Phoenix are suitable for plays and musicals because of their capacity which is around 1000-1100. It is rare for plays to play venues larger than 1000 seats.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/2/12 at 03:16pm
Rare but not because they are musical houses, rare because larger houses need shows that will run long time, which are musicals.

However, look at theatres like Adelphi, Prince of Wales, Poccadily, Shaftesbury etc in the 50s and 60s they had plays with stars because they sold.
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
Posted: 12/2/12 at 03:34pm
I agree, I saw One Man Two Guvnors at the Adelphi and it worked well there. The Piccadilly I know has hosted plays in the past like Jumpers and Noises Off. Has the Palace ever shown a play, that one has mostly shown operetta or musicals.
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Posted: 12/2/12 at 05:05pm
50s and 60s the Palace was a favourite home for Broadway transfers including Flower Drum Song and Anything Goes. The Sound of Music played originally for a long run from 1961.

The 70s was dominated by Jesus Christ Superstar and Oklahome and the 80s onwards of course, Les Mis.

The Entertainer played their originally with Olivier.
CHOOKA2 Profile Photo
CHOOKA2
Understudy
Posted: 12/4/12 at 02:47am
Who cares where a musical originates-juke box or original.The ordinary public decides whether it lasts or not-not the dedicated theatre going minority on here.Welcome all new product and may it run forever-it means W.O.R.K.
RENT_is_Wicked2
Stand-by
Posted: 12/9/12 at 06:51pm
The ONLY Jukebox Musicals I can stand are Mamma Mia, American Idiot, Priscilla, Rock of Ages (kind of), and Jersey Boys.

From West End to Broadway I haven't seen a lot of "original" shows lately. They're all based off movies, music artists, or books. Some turn out amazingly well, and others just flop.

Page:

Advertisement

Message Board

Assassins 23 Posts

BWW BLOGS

Advertisement