Comscore

Our Boys Pitch In At The Duchess

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/28/12 at 10:38am

'Our Boys' by Jonathan Lewis to get a West End limited season.

Duchess Theatre, Covent Garden, London.
Opening night 3rd Oct 2012
Previews from 26th Sep
Closing date 15th Dec 2012.

The cast includes Cian Barry (Keith), Arthur Darvill (Parry) , Laurence Fox (Joe).

Directed by David Grindley
Designed by Jonathan Fensom
Produced by James Seabright, Jenny Topper, Sue Scott Davison and Lee Menzies.

An account of the tribulations, tedium and terror that young soldiers face when recovering from injuries incurred in the line of duty. Five young soldiers are killing nothing but time when their daily routine of TV, lonely hearts ads and light-hearted banter is shattered by the arrival of an unwelcome authority figure: a young officer fresh from Sandhurst. The camaraderie of this unlikely band of brothers is soon jeopardised by a dangerous incident and an act of betrayal. With charges of misconduct looming, accusations fly – and then the fighting really starts.

Arthur Darvill is best known as Rory Williams in TV's 'Doctor Who'.
Recent London theatre credits include 'Doctor Faustus' (Shakespeare’s Globe), 'Been So Long' (Young Vic), 'Swimming With Sharks' (Vaudeville) and 'Terre Haute' (Trafalgar Studios and on tour).

Laurence Fox is best known as Detective Sergeant James Hathaway in the ITV drama series 'Lewis'.
His London stage credits include Peter Hall’s production of 'Mrs Warren’s Profession' (Novello), 'Tis A Pity She’s A Whore' (Southwark Playhouse).'
Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/6/12 at 09:14am
How refreshing to see some reasonable prices!

MAIN RUN (from 4th October)
Stalls: £45,
Dress Circle: £45, £20
Premiums: £65
£10 day seats
MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/6/12 at 09:17am
There is no reason why a straight play should priced any higher than these.
theatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/8/12 at 05:13am
I enjoyed Our Boys. It is both funny and crude and there are also some incredibly touching moments. Some of the characters are drawn better than others and Cian Barry and Lewis Reeves are definitely the best as soldiers Keith and Ian.

For me, the most touching moment of the play is between these two as Barry's Keith cradles Reeves' Ian in his arms as he sobs after waking from another nightmare.

The recent Bully Boy at the new St James' Theatre offered a better study of the life of modern soldier away from the frontline but this is still well worth seeing.

SoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/8/12 at 05:19am
Agree with you theatrepaul it's a very funny (and crude-in a good way!) but also touching play. I also agree that is the most touching moment in the play.

It's interesting given the current crop of plays about soldiers in current conflicts to see one which harks back to earlier conflicts.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
theatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/8/12 at 05:26am
When I saw it, the plays crudeness proved a bit too much for a couple of theatregoers who walked out midway through the first half. Still, their loss.

Yes, before the play I wasn't aware when it was set, though the sountrack of music played before curtain up gave it away - The Jam, Madness, The Smiths etc... Worth arriving a bit early to hear some great songs from the 80's!
SoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/8/12 at 05:33am
I loved the sountrack-they've released a Spotify playlist on the website too.

Oh dear, well their loss, I'd say the crude humour was not only very real but also contrasted nicely with the gentle moments between the soliders. What I also liked was not only the cross section of types of soldier in there but the reasons for them being in the hospital, added a depth to the play I thought.
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
FrontRowDress Profile Photo
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
Posted: 11/8/12 at 07:23am
I thought the soundtrack was the best thing about it, but that's probably just an indication of my age. I didn't mind the cruder moments and I did laugh a few times, but I really found it too contrived and never really enaged with it. As usual I've moaned more on my blog, but that's it in a nutshell really.
Our Boys

Message Board

Imelda Staunton Gypsy 18 Posts

BWW BLOGS