'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 06:05pm

Updated On: 2/16/12 at 06:05 PM
pwar Profile Photo
pwar
Understudy
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 08:25pm
Has anyone here gone? I can get relatively travel + free accommodation and wonder if I should go... I don't speak Spanish but I think it would be fine, having seen the show before and knowing it quite well.

Updated On: 2/16/12 at 08:25 PM
Buddy's blues Profile Photo
Buddy's blues
Stand-by
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/18/12 at 02:31am
Going to see this tonight and I have to admit that I am really looking forward to it. The main review in "El Pais" newspaper said it was "in two words legen dary" and a gift from the gods. You have the link to the review below so do a google translation and get your ticket!

http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2012/02/13/actualidad/1329151627_745553.html
Buddy's blues
Stand-by
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/19/12 at 03:41pm
An absolute joy - well worth seeing. Once I got over the "shock" of hearing Sondheim in Spanish (as I did with Sweeney Todd directed by the same guy) I sat backed and lapped it up. Stellar acting from the four protagonists - Vicky Peña's "Could I Leave You?" is as good as many I have seen if not better - Carlos Hipolito and Muntsa Rius gave a truly wonderful rendition of "Too Many Mornings" and Pep Molina's "Buddy's Blues" was worthy of a West End audience any day. The rest of the cast were all very integrated in the production, both young and old, and their enjoyment shone through in their performances. All the younger members of the cast gave a very enthusiastic display of tap dancing during the final bows which was equally enthusiastically received by the audience. The actors playing Carlotta, Hattie and Roscoe were all well cheered and deservedly so. All in all a very enjoyable evening and a delight to see both actors and audience take Sondheim to heart. One newspaper critic said this was a before and after as far as Spanish musicals were concerned. I agree wholeheartedly having seen a lot of very bad productions over the years in Spain. It is marvellous to see them get it right at last. My only gripe would be the choreography which seemed to owe a lot to a few other choreographers especially Bob Fosse but nevertheless it worked quite well.In answer to pwar's question if he should go or not, I would say a resounding yes. I hope to see it again before it finishes - it has a limited season to April 8th. Will be interesting to see what others who have seen it think.
theeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
Featured Actor
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/20/12 at 01:38pm

Thanks for posting your review. I'm seeing it soon and I'll add my two cents.

Is this picture of Losing My Mind? Pretty unusual staging, if so...

Buddy's blues
Stand-by
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/20/12 at 03:09pm
Yes it was staged to look as if she was walking away from it all after being let down by you know who. Don't want to be accused of giving spoilers. Her interpretation was spot on - full of emotion.
pwar Profile Photo
pwar
Understudy
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/20/12 at 03:26pm
That's pretty cool! Thanks for the review, I will definitely try to go now.
ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/20/12 at 03:32pm

Just arrived track seventeen...
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain **** The Crucible **** The Pajama Game **** Mamma Mia *** Anna Nicole **** Barnum (UK Tour) ***** Simon Callow: The Man Jesus *****
qolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/20/12 at 03:58pm
Wow, that's a very strange way to stage LOSING MY MIND. Because LOVELAND is not real, are they taking it a bit too literally/'realistically'?
EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/21/12 at 12:40am
"I should have worn green... oh wait I *am* wearing green"
Buddy's blues
Stand-by
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/21/12 at 12:49pm
I didn't find the staging strange at all and thought the song actually worked better like that. I suppose Sally's folly in the original production was that she wasn't a 30's screen siren but a frustrated housewife and that in this production her folly was that she was portrayed as is and not the glamorous woman she wanted to be. As far as the dress is concerned I don't remember the actual colour but have an idea it was closer to turquoise than green - similar to the shade in the 3rd photo. As it is productions like this are so rare anyway that I really don't want to be picky and look a gift Sondheim in the mouth just because the shade was wrong.
qolbinau Profile Photo
qolbinau
Broadway Legend
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/21/12 at 05:17pm
Do you remember how they transitioned into and out of Losing My Mind?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/21/12 at 07:28pm
Jetlag willing, I'll be seeing this tonight!
pwar Profile Photo
pwar
Understudy
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/21/12 at 08:34pm
Diviértete!
Buddy's blues
Stand-by
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/22/12 at 12:38am
I don't remember, I don't remember - at all (sorry couldn't resist that) Buddy sang "Buddy's Blues in front of the curtain which then opened to a sort of Erte style backdrop which said Sally's folly - I think each Loveland sequence started like that. I need to see it again to digest all the details I missed the first time.
EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
Broadway Legend
'Follies' El Musical
Posted: 2/22/12 at 04:40am
"
As far as the dress is concerned I don't remember the actual colour but have an idea it was closer to turquoise than green - similar to the shade in the 3rd photo. As it is productions like this are so rare anyway that I really don't want to be picky and look a gift Sondheim in the mouth just because the shade was wrong"

Oh neither do I--I have a friend who saw and loved their production of Sweeney, and is seeing this, and I think it's wonderful that major productions of his shows are being done in translation. But I couldn't resist the green line, given the way her dress looks in some of those photos...

Message Board

The Scottsboro Boys 17 Posts
TKTS Urinetown 10 Posts

BWW BLOGS