re: James Whale's SHOWBOAT (1936)

romantico
Broadway Legend
James Whale's SHOWBOAT (1936)
Posted: 11/9/09 at 07:07pm
Has this ever been released on DVD? Amazon does not have it if so. It's one of my Mom's favorite movies but she had not heard of the 1936 version. I would love to get it for her on DVD. I did find it on Youtube,but was hoping for a DVD version if available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNwxMwEGPTw
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Pgenre
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/9/09 at 07:16pm
TCM shows it occasionally. Request that they air it (and, hey, it's free). They actually DO program content based on viewer requests, btw.

P
romantico
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/9/09 at 07:40pm
Thanks! I know Warner Bros and Universal have a archive DVD store where they burn the DVD for you. I thought this was MGM and if so, I thought Warner's owned the catalog. However, I noticed it was produced by Carl Laemmle who I thought was at Universal.(Guess James Whale was still under contract at Universal when he did this) I'll be sure to keep my eye out for it on TCM.
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Updated On: 11/9/09 at 07:40 PM
Pgenre
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/9/09 at 07:43pm
Don't keep your eye out, be proactive and actually request it if you really want to see it.

Or do I have to link it for that to happen?

P
romantico
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/9/09 at 07:48pm
No, I'll email Robert Osbourne and ask him. Hopefully the archives will eventually carry it.Thanks.
Pgenre
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/9/09 at 07:59pm
A bunch of people from ATC (myself included) sent in requests a few weeks ago and it showed up so I would bet if TCM gets a few more they'll air it again soon.

P
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/9/09 at 08:47pm
I still have the laserdisc box set and my laserdisc player. With all its faults and excesses, it's still one of the most magnificent movies ever made.
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/10/09 at 10:16am
I love this film...and I fell in love with Irene Dunne the first time I saw it.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/10/09 at 11:01am
I absolutely LOVE this film. It was just on TCM a couple of weeks ago and I kept it on my DVR. It usually shows up every 4-6 months. I don't know why this has never been released on DVD. It's one of the best film treatments of a musical ever. I never get tired of it. And considering how soon it was made after the original Broadway production (less than ten years after Show Boat premiered), you really get a feel for what the stage production must have been like during the period.

Now if we can only see the original film version of Good News from 1930. After viewing the clip of the Varsity Drag on the DVD of the 1947 version, I'm dying to see the rest.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
TulitaPepsi
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/10/09 at 07:47pm
About three years ago the first two SHOW BOAT films (1929 & 1936) - with commentary by Miles Kreuger - were scheduled for release as a double-DVD set. It kept getting delayed, and I haven't heard anything about it for a long time.
"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
FeelingElectric
Broadway Star
Posted: 11/12/09 at 05:59am
I love this version of Showboat, and the interesting story behind it.

Carl Laemmle basically gambled Universal Studios on the 1936 remake being a success. It was, but not before the loans that he took out to complete it came due. Standard Capital bought out his shares as a result, ending the era of the Laemmles in the movie business.

If you ever get to see the documentary The Universal Story, this story is told in much more detail.
Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/12/09 at 02:12pm

Gorgeous!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/17/09 at 11:32am
A box set with the silent film (with the cast of the original singing some songs in the prologue) and I believe the '51 travesty IS still in the works--they hit a bigger snag remastering it than intended (odd as the laserdisc release from way back looked fine IMHO)
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/17/09 at 11:37am
I hope they keep Miles away from doing anything with these films. He's knowledgeable and all but that DB just pisses me off.
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/17/09 at 03:04pm
For those of us in NYC, if you're interested...
See December 9 at Film Forum
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Broadway Legend
Posted: 11/17/09 at 05:30pm
LOL Surely Miles has moved on from Show Boat by now (that original book came out when, the 70s?) :P What am I missing? What's the DB to what you refer? I want the gossip as to why you find him annoying :P

I do think that book he did is a great read and he'll always have my thanks for helping to do the thrilling 80s Complete recording.

Message Board

BWW BLOGS