Chaplin To Close On Broadway? What Went Wrong? Hope For London?

Musical-Matt Profile PhotoMusical-Matt Profile Photo
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Chaplin is to close on broadway on jamuary 6th but what went wrong?
No Doubt Our Paths Will Cross Again ! Matt
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well it was rubbish with a naff score and only a central performance to sell it on, and no, i cant see this show ever coming to London
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
wow not a fan then sadm
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Only watched it on a naughty DVD and no, the whole thing was very dull
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I like it. I think the score is just fine, but I can understand some of the criticism of the false and slight rhymes in the lyrics. Bio musicals are always hard to do and I'm not sure that there have been too many that were successful, but I thought this one was charming enough and very moving at the end. I didn't know much about Chaplin at the start and the show made me want to know more, and I enjoy it so I think it was successful in that regard.
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Shouldn't your watching it have taught you a lot as opposed to wanting to go away and learn more?

With a "just fine" score and bad lyrics... what was good about the songs?
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
CATSNYrevival Profile PhotoCATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
^The show races through so many parts of his life that I don't think it's unreasonable to want to research a little more outside of the show. The show was interesting enough that I wanted to do that. I don't get why that's a bad thing.

And the songs were enjoyable. The lyrics don't bother me as much as they seem to bother others. I really liked "Look at All the People," "All Falls Down," and "Where Are All the People." In fact, I don't really feel like there's a sour tune in the bunch. It's a wonderful old fashion sounding ORIGINAL Broadway score that we don't get enough of these days.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw Chaplin in New York a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It had flaws, yes - but it was charming, looked beautiful with some brilliant choreography and I liked the music a lot. (And the The Life That You Wished For is a fantastic song.) Also - Rob McLure was amazing.

In fact I enjoyed it a lot more than any new show I've seen in the West End the last year or so.
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong*****
Musical-Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
on listening to chaplin and leap of faith recently i much prefer chaplin its music was beautiful!! where are all the people inspired me!!!
Scarywarhol Profile PhotoScarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A great cast in one of the worst musicals to reach Broadway in the past decade is what went wrong. Utterly amateurish.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Liked it a hell of a lot more than the overpraised & boring Wicked.

In the past it might have succeeded. Now asking people to fork over $ 135 plus for a small musical in this economy was a non starter.

Hope it makes it over there with Mc Clure
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth - Lillian Hellman

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to:
🔀TORONTO SHOWS
Newsies The Musical in TorontoNewsies The Musical
(Runs 7/7 - 8/16)
Confessions of a Redheaded Coffeeshop Girl in TorontoConfessions of a Redheaded Coffeeshop Girl
(Runs 7/9 - 7/11) CAST
The Vaudevillians in TorontoThe Vaudevillians
(Runs 7/16 - 7/25)
I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change
(Runs 7/16 - 7/26)
On Golden Pond in TorontoOn Golden Pond
(Runs 8/6 - 8/15)
Oklahoma!
(Runs 8/14 - 8/23)
I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change
(Runs 7/21 - 8/29)

VIEW ALL | ADD A SHOW | AUDITIONS