STG Announces Upcoming Events: The Lonely Forest and More
From the outset The Lonely Forest -singer/guitarist/keyboardist John Van Deusen, guitarist Tony Ruland, drummer Braydn Krueger, and bassist Eric Sturgeon- has been about inclusion. In 2005, a raucous garage session inspired the guys (Braydn, Tony, and Eric) to join forces with Van Deusen's piano-pop. The newly formed entity, now called The Lonely Forest, played their first show while two band members were still in high school (the other two having recently graduated). Since that show, The Lonely Forest have racked up miles; steadily becoming heroes of the Northwest all-ages scene through relentless gigging around the region. From their first show at the Department of Safety, center of Anacortes' all-ages DIY scene, to their high-profile appearance at Bumbershoot 2009, a sold-out concert at the Showbox in Seattle last fall and a coveted spot on 2010's Sasquatch Festival, the accolades for The Lonely Forest have grown along with their fanbase.
It starts with a breathless, brimming affirmation of enduring love and ends with a becalmed reflection on life and loss as dusk draws in. Between these two elemental bookends Stornoway's superb second album pauses to contemplate birth, death, family, sex, nature, joy, pain and the precise location of home. There are Turkish zithers and there are German spoons. It is the sound of one long song of life unfurling.
Singer and principal songwriter Brian Briggs describes Tales From Terra Firma as "an album of stories about rites of passage." If there is one unifying theme it is the troublesome task of leaving behind the easy certainties of youth to wrestle with the complexities of adulthood, all the while trying to retain a sense of wonder at the world. Drawing from influences as varied as Tom Waits, John Adams and David Gilmour, with nods along the way to 19th-century poets John Clare and Samuel Taylor Coleridge, it is a multi-textured, hyper-melodic, stirringly emotional piece of work. It is also a fantastic pop record.
- The Malachites to Present THE MERCHANT OF VENICE, 19 March - 19 April
- Breaking News: Lin-Manuel Miranda & Karen Olivo to Star in tick, tick...BOOM! for Encores! FAUST and PUMP BOYS Announced
- BOEING BOEING Begins 3/20 at Texas Repertory Theatre
- Photo Flash: First Look - Hampton Theatre Company's THE FOREIGNER, Opening 3/13
- Six Lips Theatre to Present HOUSE OF TRAGIC SHE, 30 May-1 June
- Photo Flash: Jeremy Kushnier & Catherine Cox Visit Cast of Marymount Manhattan College's FOOTLOOSE
- The Barn Players Adds 3/13 Performance of BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON
- The Barn Players to Present Stephen Sondheim's FOLLIES, 4/18-5/4
- Photo Flash: Inside AMERICAN SHOWSTOPPERS: AN EVENING OF JERRY HERMAN with Beth Leavel, Klea Blackhurst, Fred Barton & More
- Rupert Holmes to Headline New York Theatre Barn's Master Class Benefit, 4/13