New York, here I come!

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#1
Posted: 11/10/12 at 11:06am
Now all packed and raring to go on my trip to NYC next week! After almost a month with no theatre (serious withdrawal symptoms lol), getting excited at the the prospect of 10 shows in 9 days.

Will be seeing STEEL PIER at the Union on Tuesday night while I stop over in London overnight - and have booked the following shows in New York:
CHAPLIN, BRING IT ON, SCANDALOUS, EDWIN DROOD, A CHRISTMAS STORY, ANNIE, BARE and NEWSIES - and plan to book NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT as well.

Will post my views after I get back home (will have very limited internet access while away).
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** uAssassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie***** What's It All About?***** New Beginnings, No More Thought Of Darkness**** Fully Committed (Edinburgh)***** Sunshine On Leith (Edinburgh)*** Cleansed (Edinburgh)**** Under The Ground (Edinburgh)*** The Bakewell Bake Off (Edinburgh)**** Confessional (Edinburgh)**** Urinetown (Edinburgh)*** Departures (Edinburgh)*** The Spitfire Grill ***** Aliens Love Underpants**** Pinocchio**** Prodigy*****
FireFingers Profile PhotoFireFingers Profile Photo
FireFingers
Stand-by
Stand-by
New York, here I come!#2
Posted: 11/10/12 at 1:19pm
Look forward to hearing your report. I'm off to NYC next March myself.
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#2
Posted: 11/10/12 at 6:14pm
Hi Bob, Going to NYC on Wednesday from Florida. We must have the same taste... Out of a four show slot, I am seeing four of the same shows as you. Chaplin, Bring it On, Drood and Nice Work. I was actually going the weekend after Sandu and won free tickets to The performers (would not have paid to see it) but trip was postponed when flight was cancelled.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#3
Posted: 11/10/12 at 7:19pm
That's a coincidence, Artman! If we happen to be at the same performances of any of the shows, would be cool to say hello. I have Orchestra seats for Chaplin on Thursday, Bring It On on Saturday matinee. Hoping to book for Nice Work for Friday (not seeing Drood till Sunday matinee).
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** uAssassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie***** What's It All About?***** New Beginnings, No More Thought Of Darkness**** Fully Committed (Edinburgh)***** Sunshine On Leith (Edinburgh)*** Cleansed (Edinburgh)**** Under The Ground (Edinburgh)*** The Bakewell Bake Off (Edinburgh)**** Confessional (Edinburgh)**** Urinetown (Edinburgh)*** Departures (Edinburgh)*** The Spitfire Grill ***** Aliens Love Underpants**** Pinocchio**** Prodigy*****
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#4
Posted: 11/10/12 at 7:25pm
Cant wait to hear your thought on Bare, love that show. Brace yourself for how horrible Scandalous is
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#5
Posted: 11/10/12 at 7:30pm
SADM - I could sit through Carolee Carmello singing the phone book!

Can't wait to see Bare - love the score! I actually changed the dates from the ones I originally planned for my trip just to make sure I could get to see Bare (seeing the second preview).
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#6
Posted: 11/10/12 at 10:05pm
Bob, I am only there from Wednesday to early Saturday morning. Wednesday is Bring It On and Chaplin, Thursday is Drood and Friday is Nice Work. Maybe we will see each other at Nice Work. BTW, if you are a fan of diva Martha Wash, I just found out they rescheduled her free concert at Industry Bar on Wednesday night. Indusrty bar is in Hell's Kitchen. Free-No Cover!
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New York, here I come!#7
Posted: 11/12/12 at 7:18am
Have a fab time Bob, can't wait to read your reviews :)
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#8
Posted: 11/13/12 at 2:14pm
Have a great trip Bob and hope you enjoy all your shows.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#9
Posted: 11/16/12 at 1:45pm
Thanks NALL FOR GOOD WISHES. vERY QUICK POST AS i OPNLY HAVE A FEW MINUTES INTERNET ACCESS. Saw Nice Work on Wed after arriving & enjoyed it. Chaplin last night - loved it. Elf tonight! Will post more when have more time.
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#10
Posted: 11/18/12 at 6:18pm
I'll be there for a week from December 18th. The way things are going I'm crossing my fingers that some shows will still be running! I bought tickets for Rebecca and The Performers, the former never even opened and the latter closed today just four days after opening night. All being well I'll get to see Chaplin, Dead Accounts, Annie, A Christmas Story, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Mummenshanz and Forbidden Broadway.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#11
Posted: 11/23/12 at 4:22am
Back home now, so here are my brief comments on the shows I saw in NYC:

NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT****: A fantastic start to my trip - a "just sit back and enjoy" kind of show - brilliant Gershwin score, really funny DiPietro book, fantastic dancing and lots of great performances. But I have to say I was a little underwhelmed by Matthew Broderick - felt he was just "walking" it. Kelly O'Hara was, however, wonderful (as always), while Judy Kaye and Michael McGrath stole the show (really deserved their Tonys!).

CHAPLIN****: Beautifully staged and thoroughly engaging piece, brilliant choreography (by Warren Carlyle) with some nice songs and one stunning song (The Life That You Wish For). Again lots of great performances and Rob McLure is seriously amazing as Chaplin (if there's any justice he should be a shoo-in for the Tony).

ELF****: The big (and pleasant) surprise of my trip - booked it on the day (as was not sure what to fill my final slot with) and absolutely loved it. Again a "sit back and enjoy" show - lots of catchy songs, genuinely funny, great choreography (by Casey Nicholaw). All round great cast with the stand-outs being Beth Leavel and Leslie Kritzer (her "Never Fall In Love With An Elf" was my highlight of the show).

BRING IT ON*****: Fan-f***king-tastic show! Blew me away. Ultra-high energy show. Brilliant score, a book that - while maybe not possessing any great depth - simply "works", amazing and spectacular choreography (by Andy Blankenbueller), which was brilliantly executed by the cast. And every one of the show's long list of principals (it's very much an "ensemble" piece) gave a knock-out performance. Bought the CD and it keeps blowing me away every time I listen to it.

SCANDALOUS**: The most scandalous thing about this show is that it ever got to a Broadway stage LOL. The music is okay but the book and lyrics are simply appalling. The cast do a great job with the seriously mediocre material, though not sure what George Hearn is even doing there as his part is pretty insignificant (guess he's there for his name to hopefully sell tickets). BUT - Carolee Carmello was astonishing as Aimee! Was worth seing just for her performance.

(will post comments on the other shows I saw a little later!)
SoonerOrLater Profile PhotoSoonerOrLater Profile Photo
SoonerOrLater
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
New York, here I come!#12
Posted: 11/23/12 at 5:35am
Great reviews Bob. Glad you enjoyed.

The only one I've seen of those is 'Bring it On' and I totally agree. Brilliant show, choreography that is simply astounding and a true ensemble piece. Love, loved it!

Really sorry I didn't get a chance to see 'Nice Work' myself-sounds like the cast alone are worth it and sometimes you just want a 'sit back and enjoy' experience!
Maybe I'm on nobody's side http://phdconfessions.blogspot.com/
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#13
Posted: 11/23/12 at 7:22am
Here are my comments on the rest of the shows I saw:

THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD*****: I really enjoyed the production at the Landor earlier this year but this surpassed even that! It's a great show and great score to begin with but this new Broadway production is really superb. And what a cast! Every single one was so perfect in the role they played, especially Will Chase as John Jasper, the fabulous Stephanie J. Block as Edwin Drood and Chita Rivera, who proved yet again why she is an absolute legend. Felt so privileged to be witnessing these performances and I left the theatre absolutely buzzing (and I'm still humming the tunes lol).

A CHRISTMAS STORY****: A fabulous little show with a score by one of the USA's most talented young songwriting teams, Pasek & Paul (though it's VERY different to their other highly praised shows, EDGES and DOGFIGHT, which are really brilliant shows in totally different ways). It's a beautiful piece - funny, endearing, tugging at emotions in the right places - and the songs are all great. And yet again, the performances were all from the top drawer. The only thing I didn't care for was the device of using a narrator, who kept popping up in between scenes - no criticism of Dan Lauria, who played the role and did a fine job, but I just found it rather unncessary and annoying lol.

ANNIE****: I know that many people on here hate this show! And yes, it's sentimental and cheesy. But I loved it lol. Great energy, fabulous set, and on the whole a great cast. But I have to say I did not like Kate Finneran as Miss Hannigan at all - way too far over the top for me and her singing was just a hideous screech. But Anthony Warlow was terrific as Warbucks and it was worth the price of the ticket just to hear his beautiful vocals on Something Was Missing.

BARE*****: One word - WOW! Witty, emotionally powerful book and an awesome score (really hope they record this - can't wait to hear the songs over and over). The pace was a little uneven but it was just the second preview so that's to be expected and it's obviously going to get better and better. Some really brilliant acting performances from a cast of mainly very young perfomers, especially Taylor Trensch as Peter, Jason Hite as Jason and Missi Pyle as Sister Joan. The vocals were also superb, especially the choral singing - and the stand-out vocal performance was by Gerard Canonico (who is alrady a Broadway veteran, having played Gavroche in Les Mis, Moritz in Spring Awakening and was aso in the cast of American Idiot.) I hope this is still running the next time I get to New York as I would love to see it again!

NEWSIES*****: There are not enough superlatives to describe this show. Beautifully written Book by Harvery Fierstein, a great set, superb direction, some of the most amazing choreography (by Chrostopher Gatelli) and most amazing ensemble dancing I have ever seen on stage, lots of great individual performances and a score to die for. Beforehand I was a bit disappointed that Jeremy Jordan had left the show by the time I got to see it but after seeing the show I was not at all disappointed - Corey Cott was fantastic. In short - THE BEST SHOW I HAVE SEEN ANYWHERE IN 2012 and one of the best new musicals I've seen in years.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#14
Posted: 11/23/12 at 11:38am
Glad you had a good time, Bob, but the fact that you chose not to see Michael John LaChiusa's Giant - with a cast I thought would tempt you - means you missed the best of the bunch.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#15
Posted: 11/23/12 at 12:14pm
Actually I did try to book a ticket for Giant but I was not able to get an aisle seat - and my back and knees are so bad these days that sitting anywhere other than an aisle seat (or a seat that has LOTS of legroom) is not even a remote option. If it gets a transfer I will def check it out next time I get to New York.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#16
Posted: 11/23/12 at 1:14pm
Glad to hear you tried. Alas, I don't think it's going to transfer. But we will get a CD.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#17
Posted: 11/23/12 at 1:50pm
Bob, I echo your praise of Judy Kaye and Michael McGrath in Nice Work - he reminded me of Nathan Lane and, as Nathan is my favourite Broadway performer, that's high praise from me!

I only just found out that A Christmas Story was originally a 1983 movie so I've downloaded it and will make sure I watch it before the NY trip. Incidentally, have you ever seen the Newsies movie starring Christian Bale - it's quite hilarious (mostly unintentionally!).
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#18
Posted: 11/23/12 at 3:19pm
Hotjohn - yes, I saw the Newsies movie years ago and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot (well, have to enjoy a movie with a fellow Welshman in the lead lol, though I'll admit that singing is not Christian's forte.) But the show is definitely far better than the movie.
ArtMan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
New York, here I come!#19
Posted: 11/24/12 at 8:47am
Hi Bob, Glad you had a great time in NYC. I thoroughly enjoyed my four shows. I can't understand why Bring It On and Chaplin are not doing better business. Those kids in Bring It On, are working their buts off. The matinee I saw, the theatre was practically empty. Chaplin, had me memorized. Great acting and interesting book. Drood, I enjoyed, but Chita's accent came and went during my performance. I will have to disagree with you on Mathew in Nice Work. At least during my performance, I found him to be quite charming in the role. I'm really glad I went to see it. Normally, I don't see shows from "last season" in the "new season". But since the original cast were all in I decided to see it. Great show.

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to: