Comscore
Advertisement

West End leading males

stageybenny
Stand-by
Stand-by
West End leading males
Posted: 2/23/13 at 12:37pm
Who in your opinion are the leading talent in musical theatre in the West End?

You have your obvious ones like Liam Tamne, Ramon K and the TV contestants like John Addison, Tim Prottey Jones etc.

Love to hear your opinions!
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 2/23/13 at 12:46pm
Your spelling of Ramin is incorrect.

I don't know how many people would consider Liam Tamne and John Addison "West End leading males", and Tim Prottey Jones has never done a West End show.
2014 Theatre: Strangers on a Train 3.5 * From Here To Eternity 3.5* Stephen Ward ***** The Full Monty ***** Fiddler on the Roof (UK Tour) *** Stephen Ward ***** Jersey Boys ***** Blithe Spirit ***** Wicked (UK Tour) *** Arcadia ** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels *** Urinetown ***** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 3.5* Other Desert Cities **** Birdland **** The Phantom of the Opera **** Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake ***** In The Heights ***** Miss Saigon **** Clarence Darrow ***** Great Britain **** The Crucible **** The Pajama Game **** Mamma Mia *** Anna Nicole **** Barnum (UK Tour) ***** Simon Callow: The Man Jesus *****
stageybenny
Stand-by
Stand-by
West End leading males
Posted: 2/23/13 at 01:15pm
Long day, sorry for the spelling!
In my eyes Liam is a leading name in musical theatre right now.

John and Tim I mentioned as they are current TV contestants.
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 2/23/13 at 02:20pm
Well, according to Andrew Lloyd Webber in his infamous faux pas last summer on TV, the West End does not have any leading men! lol

I don't know whether there is such a thing as "obvious" choices - it's a very subjective opinion.

For my money the most all-round talented Leading Man in West End musical theatre would be Hadley Fraser. But there are also others, such as David Thaxton, Michael Ball, Damian Humnbley, Mark Umbers, Michael Xavier, Ramin Karimloo, Alex Gaumond - and Jonathan Williams's performance as Jean Valjean is still one of the most incredible leading man performances I've ever seen or heard.

If you're looking for "rising star" leading men, look no further than the phenomenal David Hunter and Will Barratt (who played Raoul in "Phantom" and was First Cover Anthony in Sweeney Todd). And, of course, there's the incredible Killian Donnelly.... and Ross Hunter.....and Craig Mather.....and......

Which makes me wonder what planet ALW is now living on lol
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic***** Charles Strouse (cabaret)***** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)*****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C*****
Princeton Returns Profile PhotoPrinceton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 2/23/13 at 05:11pm
I do find who you are choosing to be 'obvious' quite odd
Stewart A
Stand-by
Stand-by
West End leading males
Posted: 2/23/13 at 05:35pm
Love him or hate him, the only leading man that comes to mind is Michael Ball as he has been consistently a leading man on the west end stage for over 20 years and is well known outside of musical theatre too.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 2/23/13 at 07:13pm
The West End has some of the finest actors in the world, to get a West End gig you have to be one of the finest actors in the world period, you can find then performing 8 times a week in London and sometimes on tour also.

Same with the lasses.
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 2/24/13 at 03:20pm
A shout for Mark Umbers,, brilliant in Merrily
AnythingGoes23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
West End leading males
Posted: 2/24/13 at 03:30pm
Michael Ball, John Barrowman, Jonathan Pryce, Rowan Atkinson, Robert Lindsay are pretty much bankable leading men.

Then you have if in the right show talents season performers like Simon Russell Beale, Ramin, Roger Allam, Alexander Hanson Douglas Hodge ...

Possibly Lee Mead is a leading man still, I'm not so sure.

None of those mentioned from JCS sadly are not eve close to being consider salwarts of theatre leading men !
Theatrefan2
Understudy
Understudy
West End leading males
Posted: 2/25/13 at 09:23pm
Leading man is definitely subjective. You can be a lead but not be one to put bums in seats. Of the newer leading men definitely Ramin Karimloo. Michael Ball will always fill a theatre as would John Barrowman. I would definitely consider Lee Mead a leading man because when he is in a show he definitely adds to the audience and he has leading man talent. He has just not been in a show recently. I would like to include David Thaxton but I am not sure he would bring in an audience on his own as the others would.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 2/26/13 at 10:53am
I don't know why the ability to put bums on seats has anything to do with the original question. It asked people about their opinions on the leading male TALENT in the West End. I wouldn't even presume to predict who will sell the most tickets but I can offer my opinion on talent and an actor/singer's ability to carry a leading role, deliver the songs, etc. Most of the people mentioned in the thread would certainly fit that criterion. If they didn't then almost every West End theatre would be dark lol
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic***** Charles Strouse (cabaret)***** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)*****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C*****
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 2/26/13 at 03:56pm
but the abilty to be a leading man or lady isnt just talent. its the ability to command the stage, to have a proven background of work leading role, lead a company, yes maybe have bankability.

i would never class anyone who has just had one lead role as a west end lead to be real leading lady status.

bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 2/26/13 at 04:25pm
Yes - and every actor I mentioned in my list has ALL the qualities you mention. Every one of them OWNS the stage when they're on it. I've worked with a few of them and know first hand their immense qualities. And I'm sorry I don't regard leading man as being a "status" - that's just something created by hype, not ability.

There's also the issue of some so-called bankable "leading men" (or ladies) being cast in lead roles purely on their perceived box-office status and not on their ability. I'd cast any one of the guys on my list ahead of that kind of "leading man" any day.
Princeton Returns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 2/26/13 at 05:11pm
Of course being a leading man/lady is a status, if it wasnt so many people wouldnt be striving to achieve it.

Theres no sure thing for filling theatres neither Michael Ball (didnt sell out WIW, Candide, Sweeney) or John Barrowman fill theatres guaranteed.

I actually think we are shorter on leading men than we are women (well masculine men that can play above juvenile lead anyway)

Using my criteria in the lady thread id go with

John Owen Jones
Earl Carpenter
Ramin Karimloo
John Barrowman
Michael Ball
Hadley Fraser (just, his career isnt as big as it should be)
Michael Xavier
Alexander Hensen
Mark Umbers

Lee Mead....hmmm not sure on him

Up and commers
David Thaxton
Killian Donnelly
holio
Swing
Swing
West End leading males
Posted: 2/26/13 at 06:08pm
Micheal Ball is definitely one of the best (and was a great Marius).
Gareth Gates is another contender: Joseph,Soho Cinders, Les Mis and Children of Eden.
stageybenny
Stand-by
Stand-by
West End leading males
Posted: 2/28/13 at 05:47pm
Some great opinions here, thanks to all that has shared, I'm about to start another post I'm a moment which I'm sure you'll all love to get your teeth into.,

Comma throw a few more names in the pot - Simon Bowman, Jon Lee, Tim Rogers. Thoughts?
shane54
Swing
Swing
West End leading males
Posted: 3/16/13 at 06:14am
Oliver Tompsett!!!!
stageybenny
Stand-by
Stand-by
West End leading males
Posted: 3/26/13 at 06:43pm
After seeing A Class Act last night at the Landor. Surely John Barr has to be on this list right? Looking at his bio in the programme too.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 3/26/13 at 08:16pm
Yes, Jonny has indeed been a "class act" for many years - a West End and London fringe veteran with one of the most beautiful voices you could ever wish to hear. In his lengthy career he has played roles as diverse as the title role in Oliver, Che in Evita, Dr. Parker in Bat Boy and Tateh in Ragtime. He's sung in concerts at major venues all over the world, has released 5 solo albums - and also appears in and sings in the opening scene in the Les Mis movie.

Really looking forward to seeing him as Ed Kleban in A Class Act! (will be at the Landor for the closing night on April 13).
stageybenny
Stand-by
Stand-by
West End leading males
Posted: 3/27/13 at 06:42pm
I genuinely think he deserves a nomination for any award for his performance in A Class Act.
Coggit
Swing
Swing
West End leading males
Posted: 3/31/13 at 06:40pm
Tam Mutu!

One of the most underrated actors in theatre at the moment. His performance as Phantom in Love Never Dies was by far superior to Ramin's and it was such a shame that he only ever got to be the alternate (it's a shame, as most of the recordings on YouTube don't do him justice!).

At the moment, he is playing Javert in the West End and I reckon we'll be hearing his name a lot more.

Earl Carpenter: I'm guilty to say that when I first saw Earl in Phantom many years ago, he never really stood out to me. Recently, I had the chance to see him in the UK tour and it was genuinely one of my best theatre nights ever. It was the first time I've ever cried during Phantom. He was just magical.
Updated On: 3/31/13 at 06:40 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
West End leading males
Posted: 4/1/13 at 03:43pm
I don't know how others feel about him, but I've heard a lot of people gush about Alfie Boe.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Save $$$ on Tickets to:
🔀DENVER SHOWS
Footloose
(Runs 4/27 - 4/29)
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
(Runs 5/1 - 5/2)
The Addams Family
(Runs 4/30 - 5/2)
The Lion in Winter
(Runs 4/4 - 5/2)
The Pillowman in DenverThe Pillowman