New musical My Land's Shore in Newport in June

bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The musical MY LAND'S SHORE (by Christopher J. Orton and myself), which is set during the infamous Merthyr Rising of 1831, will be performed by MUSICAL YOUTH UK at the Dolman Theatre, Newport from June 19 to 22. If anyone is interested, please click on the link below to book tickets. (Be quick - only been on sale 24 hours and are already selling well!)

Stiles and Drewe described the My Land's Shore score as "soaring, passionate and hauntingly melodic" and Craig Revel Horwood described it in an interview on BBC Radio wales as "powerful....beautiful---soaring - a Les Mis for Wales".

We recently work-shopped the show at RADA with an amazing West End cast (including David Hunter, Rebecca Trehearn, Hal Fowler,
Kelly-Anne Gower, Will Barratt and Lisa Ann Wood). You can see and hear songs and footage from the workshop on youtube:

A LONELY VOICE - Will Barratt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lbdCzBF-W8

THE WAY THINGS ARE - Rebecca Trehearn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P84aTf4iLnU

If you like what you see and hear, please come along and support new musical theatre writing. It would be great to see some BWW board members in Newport!
Ticketsource: tickets for MY LAND'S SHORE, Dolman theatre Newport June 19-22
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie*****
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sounds exciting
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
thespian geek Profile Photothespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is the song Killian Donnelly recorded still in it out of curiosity?
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, the song Killian recorded - AIR FOR A WISE CELTIC FOOL - is certainly still in the show!
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** Assassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie*****
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I know that was incredibly random to ask, but it's just such a damn good song, haha.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Really pleased you like it, thespian geek!

It only went into the show during one of the more recent rewrites - and now it's hard for us to imagine it ever not having been there! Killian did such an amazing job on the recording - and in his live performance at the Actors' Church last October - as did the brilliant Ryan Gibb during the January workshop.

Btw - in case anyone else reading this thread has no idea what on earth we're talking about LOL - here's the video of Killian singing the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0HnLM0jFfA&list=UUBRYBYiqHAZVYzZx_n2Mnew&index=6

And it can be downloaded on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/air-for-wise-celtic-fool-single/id565393608

Posner11
Understudy
Understudy
Great to hear and tickets booked for Sat night - glad I can take along and show some friends the musical I have been going on about for so long.

MYUK are a great organisation and its a nice fit that a team which are helping train and launch the stars of tomorrow are at the start of getting this musical on the road to full production

bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, Posner11 - could not have said it better myself! Great that you're coming along - please come and say hello.
thespian geek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He did such a phenomenal job with that song. So, so good. I wish I lived in the right part of the world so that I could come and see it!
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posner11
Understudy
Understudy
Very pleased to report MYUK put on belter of a performance to give this show its first full public performances

There have been many additions, order changes and some surprising deletions from the original concept CD but all make the score more powerful and moving - and these have certainly helped to open the story up and appeal to wider audience

MYUK team had done an stunning job to produce the show on a three tier set with picture slide backdrops, smoking work stacks and working gallows which was used to great effect and some really top performances from the Newport MYUK team .

Full credit for the shows creators for allowing the show to be premiered by MYUK and it will certainly have given them feedback and public reaction to the whole show that no number of workshops could have given.

There were several highpoints but one which was just pure class and power was the act one closer of "air for a wise Celtic fool" which ranks for me as strong and powerful a piece of Theatre that I have seen in any show - with an emotive vocal from Corey Jones and the stage lit in red as the massacre is played out (not giving all the detail - you have to see this for real) it was a theatrical bit of stage power that left the audience stunned by the performances, the emotional imagetry and music working together completely to provide a musical highpoint which any show would want to have
I would recommend they close act one with the final note of Celtic fool and not having the short vocal after as its such a powerful staging that no more needs to be said and it will leave the audience fully reflecting on what they have just seen and heard.

Wherever or what ever is the next version of My Lands Shore I would highly recommend taking a chance on it and seeing a brave new musical with a strong score and telling a story few of us know about.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks, Posner 11. Really appreciate your comments & so glad that you enjoyed the show. MYUK did indeed perform the piece superbly and it was fantastic to see it come alive so vividly with the outstanding set & staging.

Air For A Wise Celtic Fool seemed to be most people's favourite moment - and Chris and I are really proud of that song. And Corey Jones, as you rightly said, performed it brilliantly.

The latest (and hopefully final) rewrite is now complete and we are confident the piece is now in a very good place - and we are in talks regarding a possible major professional production (fingers crossed!) - will update with any news if and when it may be confirmed.

What is confirmed is that Christopher Orton has gone through to the final of the Search For A Twitter Composer at the Soho Theatre on Sunday July 21. We presented songs from My Land's Shore in last Sunday's semi-final (including a mind-blowing performance of Air For A Wise Celtic Fool by David Hunter) & songs from the show will also be performed in the Final.
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
A few pics from the production of MY LAND'S SHORE in Newport:

Updated On: 6/26/13 at 07:16 PM
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to:
🔀CLEVELAND SHOWS
Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella in ClevelandRodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella
(Runs 7/21 - 8/2)
The Addams Family
(Runs 7/24 - 8/2)
Reefer Madness
(Runs 7/23 - 8/8)
The Addams Family
(Runs 8/7 - 8/8)
Oklahoma!
(Runs 7/31 - 8/9)
State Fair
(Runs 8/6 - 8/9)
OR,