DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Tops Weekend Box Office!
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes topped U.S. box offices over the weekend, followed by the three new releases The Purge: Anarchy, Planes: Fires & Rescue and Sex Tape.
The Matt Reeves-directed 'Apes' sequel stars Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, Keri Russell, Toby Kebbell, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Enrique Murciano, Kirk Acevedo and Judy Greer.
A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth's dominant species.
The new comedy 'Sex Tape,' starring Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel finished in fourth place with while Melissa McCarthy's Tammy continued its poor box office showing, falling from third to sixth place, followed by sequel 22 Jump Street.
Transformers: Age of Extinction, which held the top spot on previous weekends, dropped from second place to fifth place with $10m. The Michael Bay movie debuted with $100m but was knocked from the top spot with the premiere of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
How to Train Your Dragon 2, Maleficent and Earth to Echo round out the top ten US box office list.
The US weekend box office top ten for July 20th is as follows:
1. (1) Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - $36,000,000
2. (-) The Purge: Anarchy - $28,369,000
3. (-) Planes: Fire & Rescue - $18,000,000
4. (-) Sex Tape - $15,000,000
5. (2) Transformers: Age of Extinction - $10,000,000
6. (3) Tammy - $7,605,000
7. (4) 22 Jump Street - $4,700,000
8. (5) How to Train Your Dragon 2 - $3,800,000
9. (8) Maleficent - $3,302,000
10. (6) Earth to Echo - $3,260,000