20/20 to Feature Survivors 'Saved' from Near-Death Situations Tonight, 2/8
|Barbara Walters to Interview Donald Trump on ABC's 20/20, 11/20|
November 18, 2015
From the little boy who survived a seven-day stand-off with a madman in an Alabama bunker this past week to incredibly lucky people who walked away from unbelievable crashes and freak accidents, "20/20" reports on survivors, rescues, near-death experiences and spontaneous acts of heroism. "Saved" airs on "20/20" TONIGHT, FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 8 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. Reports include:
- Alabama Hostage Rescue: "20/20" Anchor David Muir has the amazing story of six-year old Ethan, the Alabama boy who spent last week as a hostage in the underground bunker of deranged killer Jimmy Lee Dykes. Muir has the first interviews with Ethan's immediate family, and his report will feature the first family video of Ethan and never-before-seen images from his 6th birthday party. With fresh eyewitness video from the scene and interviews with the FBI, neighbors and family members, "20/20" reconstructs the dramatic account of how Dykes sustained the standoff; how law enforcement finally rescued the boy; and how a small Community came together to overcome the depredations of a crazed criminal.
- Buried Memories: What was going though little Ethan's mind during those days of captivity? Very few people could even hazard an educated guess, but Katie Beers is one of them. Back in 1992, Katie endured 17 horrific days in a custom-made dungeon when, as a nine-year-old, she was famously kidnapped by her neighbor, "Big John Esposito." Beers speaks out about that ordeal, the horrific nine years she lived as an abused and neglected child before that - and the long, painful and ultimately successful journey she made to not only survive captivity but lead what is now a remarkably normal life with a husband, kids and a job. Paula Faris reports.
- Indestructible: There are some incidents of survival which are almost unexplainable in any scientific way. But what if, in that instant of imminent death, life gives you a second chance? Matt Guttman reports on some unbelievable stories, including that of Michael Williams, who survived being crushed by a 12 ton steeple the size of a Boeing 737; and reporter Andrew Torres, who miraculously survived when his helicopter crashed into a Brooklyn building.
- You Got What Where?: Spears, shears and even an engagement ring... Chris Connelly reports on the believe-it-or not x-rays and the stories behind them
- Submerged: Every year there are stories of people falling through the ice on a frozen lake. What happens in those few crucial moments after the water starts rushing up to your chin makes all the difference between life and death. Jay Schadler talks to survivors, and provides tips on how to stay alive.
David Sloan is senior executive producer and John Green is executive producer of "20/20".