Kids' Summer Reading Adventure Starts Now With The 2017 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge And Reading Road Trip
NEW YORK, May 8, 2017 /PRNewswire/ Recent research from theKids & Family Reading Report: 6th Edition, released by Scholastic, foundthat only half of all parents with children ages 617 (48%) have heard of the "summer slide" the learning loss which can occur over the summer monthswhich could help explain why one in five 1217 year-olds and one in five kids in lower-income families did not read any books at all last summer. To create awareness around the "summer slide" and help children take a "summer leap" with great books, today Scholastic announced the opening of the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge, a free, global, online and mobile summer reading program. Adding even more summer reading fun and enthusiasm, the Scholastic Summer Reading Road Trip will hit the road for its second year, hosting free "pop-up" reading festivals that engage communities in helping kids discover the power and joy of reading.
To learn more about the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge and the Scholastic Summer Reading Road Trip visit: www.scholastic.com/summer.
2017 Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge (May 8September 8, 2017)
- Starting today, kids can log their reading minutes online to earn digital prizes when they complete weekly reading challenges and gain access to 18 reading activities, including games, quizzes and videos based on popular children's books.
- Parents and caregivers can access free summer reading resources, including booklists across all ages in both English and Spanish.
- At the end of the summer, the school in each U.S. state, territory and in the District of Columbia that has logged the most reading minutes will be named "Best in State," featured in the 2018 Scholastic Book of World Records, and will receive a commemorative plaque as well as an official Scholastic party kit to celebrate their achievement. In addition, special recognition will be given to the top five libraries and community partner organizations nationwide with the most minutes read.
Scholastic Summer Reading Road Trip(May 6July 26, 2017)
- Throughout the summer, two Scholastic Summer Reading RVs will visit 25+ cities making stops at bookstores, schools, and libraries across the country.
- Kids and families can visit the free "pop-up" reading events and meet some of their favorite Scholastic authors and illustrators, engage in fun reading activities, and win prizes.
- Parents and educators can follow the progress of the Scholastic Summer Reading Road Trip on social media via #SummerReading and online at http://summerroadtrip.scholastic.com.
The RVs will visit major cities and nearby towns throughout the summer.* The list of locations and tour dates includes: