Comscore

If you could pick one 2014 Tony nominee, who/what would you choose?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
I ask this question every year, and I always love hearing what everyone says.

Say you had the power to guarantee one 2014 Tony nominee. What/who would be your single dream nomination (either presumably something you don't think will get the actual nomination tomorrow, or something you would absolutely love to see get recognized)? And why?

My heart immediately jumps to IF/THEN for a Best Musical nod, though there are a few I'd love to see get mentioned tomorrow.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
Updated On: 4/28/14 at 09:11 PM
CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
Broadway Legend
Patrick Page for A TIME TO KILL
"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
I'd love to ask for a few, but in spirit of the question and limit myself to one: Brían F. O'Byrne for OUTSIDE MULLINGAR.
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Mainly because I don't think it's going to happen: IF/THEN for Best Musical.
"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
ratherbewhaling Profile Photo
ratherbewhaling
Stand-by
Jake Epstein, best featured actor

Nancy Reagan, meanest and thinnest of the first ladies moves into the white house. Yabba dabba! It's the eighties.
Updated On: 4/29/14 at 09:28 PM
jdrye222 Profile Photo
jdrye222
Featured Actor
Whitney Bashor
for Featured Actress in a Musical

for reasons that I have put on here in a couple other threads. Her performance of "Another Life" is stunning.
Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
Norbert Leo Butz - Big Fish
Dilettante
jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
Broadway Legend
If could allow myself a pick on the Musical side:

Jared Grimes for AFTER MIDNIGHT
Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
Broadway Star
Linda Emond for Cabaret
Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
Featured Actor
If/Then for Best Musical! I thought it was incredible! And that score...
"I know what a show-stopping song is. I know what you get a Tony for. Neither of those songs were it. And Sheryl Lee Ralph didn't even get nominated. Even with the new material. You know as an artist when somebody's giving you material that will stop a show. Give me the material. I know how to stop a show." - Tonya Pinkins Blocked: mjohnson2
wonkit
Broadway Legend
Roger Rees for THE WINSLOW BOY
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Bullets Over Broadway for Best Musical
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
beltingbaritone Profile Photo
beltingbaritone
Broadway Star
Michelle Williams for Cabaret.
Men don't even belt.
gstrus2
Broadway Star
Helene Yorke for Bullets Over Broadway.
JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Star
I want to say either Daniel Radcliffe or Zach Braff. I thought both did a great job in their respective shows, and deserve nominations. However, neither of them seems to be a lock for nominations at this point.
emma3386 Profile Photo
emma3386
Swing
Norbert Leo Butz - Big Fish
jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
Stand-by
"First Date", Best Musical.
christhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
Broadway Legend
Celia Keenan-Bolger - The Glass Menagerie
Zimmy Profile Photo
Zimmy
Stand-by
Steven Pasquale - Bridges of Madison County - Walking out of that theater, I thought I just witnessed the Tony winners for actor and actress. - Now I"m just hoping he gets a nod.
frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
Broadway Legend
Jan Maxwell?

Was that not this year?
What a colossal piece of crap! It'll probably run for years.
tom2000a
Chorus Member
I'm only picking this because I know it will never happen but I wish it would.

Best Set: The Snow Geese

Best Play: The Snow Geese
mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
Broadway Star
Michelle Williams for Cabaret.
Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.
HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
Broadway Legend
The Bridges of Madison County, Best Musical

(Second would be Jason Robert Brown, Orchestrations)
gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
Broadway Legend
Kate Baldwin in featured for Big Fish.
RachelJean Profile Photo
RachelJean
Swing
I thought Jarrod Spector and Anika Larsen gave wonderful performances. I'm hoping at least one of them will get a nod!

Page:

Advertisement Advertisement