How come the 2008 production of GYPSY didn't win the Tony for Best Revival?

Littleshopofcarrie
Featured Actor
It was one of the greatest performances I have ever seen on a Broadway stage and I was wondering why it didn't win Best Revival.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Because South Pacific was the critical darling of that season. It was a sentimental win, because it was the first revival of the show since its original production in 1949. If Gypsy wasn't included that season, I think South Pacific would have swept the acting awards too, with wins for Kelli O'Hara and Danny Burstein or Loretta Ables Sayre possibly...

Gypsy as a production had its flaws; I felt it was really Arthur Laurents saying "Everyone, look at me, this is how Gypsy should be done. Suck it, Mendes!" ... Plus, the performances of LuPone, Gaines and Benanti were truly the best thing about that show and held it together... Phenomenal that three acting awards went to one show that season - when else has that happened (The Producers...?)
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
South Pacific was incredible. One of the most satisfying theatrical experiences I've had. I liked Gypsy, but it had nothing on SP.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
SP was in the V Beaumont, it had that gigantic orchestra... Enough said
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
>SP was in the V Beaumont, it had that gigantic orchestra... Enough said<

Was anything said?
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Yes, why Gypsy didn't win the Tony was questioned, so I'm saying South Pacific had a gigantic orchestra and played at the VB - enough said, i.e. that's why it won the Tony.

Jeez. People pickin' fights for the sake of it around here these days.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
I saw the national tour of the South Pacific revival. It was magnificent.
"Heck anyone with a ticket stub is qualified to have an opinion." - Dramamama
Smaxie
Broadway Legend
What does the Vivian Beaumont have to do with anything? Or the size of South Pacific's orchestra (as Gypsy had a sizable orchestra of its own)? The point, if you have one, seems nonsensical.
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
I don't see Smaxie picking a fight, either, just trying to figure out what your rationale was. Yes, the orchestra was impressive, but neither that nor the physical theater would equal a Tony Award.
If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Oh, it has everything to do with it. Absolutely everything, Smaxie. You're nonsensical.
Kad
Broadway Legend
Gypsy swept the musical acting categories- that seems like a pretty fantastic enough acknowledgement of the production to me.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
dramamama your mother equalled a Tony award last night
Kad
Broadway Legend
What the hell is your problem?
Sutton Ross
Broadway Star
I thought Kelli O'Hara should have won for South Pacific. It was a beautiful production.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be, or to be indistinguishable from, self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” Neal Stephenson
Sutton Ross
Broadway Star
"dramamama your mother equalled a Tony award last night"

WTF?
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be, or to be indistinguishable from, self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” Neal Stephenson
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Damn, someone has got a bee up their butt today.
"Heck anyone with a ticket stub is qualified to have an opinion." - Dramamama
dramamama611
Broadway Legend
Wow, someone doesn't know how to participate in a conversation.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
The fact that people had been waiting for a revival of SOUTH PACIFIC for almost 60 years and when it happened, it was one of the most glorious sounding and looking productions they could have ever hoped for is why the show won the Tony award over a show, that while fantastic, is revived every few years.
"I think Glee is way too sharp, smart, witty, clever and emotionally confronting for the masses." - Dave19 - "What's next? Snow Black and the 7 Swaggers? Shasquirta and the Beast? 101 Weavematians? Willis in Ghettoland?" - Dave19, in reference to the new ANNIE remake.
aasjb4ever
Broadway Legend
Gypsy was a really wonderful show, but when I saw South Pacific on Live From Lincoln Center, it was clear that it was a far superior production. It was absolutely gorgeous.
What a colossal piece of crap! It'll probably run for years.
darreyl102
Broadway Star
It happened for Hairspray- Fierstein, Winokur and Latessa ( out of its 8 wins). I’m sure there must be more.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Answer:

Because not enough Tony voters voted for it to win.

Enough said.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
LMcC95
Chorus Member
Watch South Pacific on YouTube. It is on there. A live form Lincoln center show. It is amazing!!!! The set alone is great
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
South Pacific was just too good...and the cast was fabulous, the theater was beautiful and the orchestra was awesome.
jdrye222
Featured Actor
Because SOUTH PACIFIC was spectacularly beautifully directed, staged, acted, etc.
And that 2008 revival of GYPSY was completely without any heart. Plus it had a stagehand walk across with a marionette of a baby lamb.
The Other One
Featured Actor
Because it wasn't as good as the 2008 revival of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, which wasn't as good as the 2008 revival of SOUTH PACIFIC.

Page: