Songs of Spiderman Book

bwayto
Leading Actor
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/5/13 at 03:57pm
Just got it on Kindle today. Read the first few chapters.

What do people think so far?
Alan Henry
Senior Editor, BWW Toronto
alan@broadwayworld.com
uncageg
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/5/13 at 05:45pm
For some reason it still says pre-order when I go into the kindle store so I am starting the FOSSE book.
Just give the world Love.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/5/13 at 06:35pm
Loving it so far.
"Heck anyone with a ticket stub is qualified to have an opinion." - Dramamama
Anthony Fremont
Stand-by
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/5/13 at 06:47pm
Between this, Greg Sestero's book about The Room, and Lawrence Cohen's book about Carrie, this is a good time to spill the beans.
Matt Rogers
Broadway Star
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/5/13 at 07:07pm
Sorry to threadjack for a moment, but can you give any more info on the Carrie book? Have heard nothing about it. Did it just come out?
Matt Rogers
Broadway Star
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/5/13 at 08:45pm
Never mind. Found it on Amazon. Published at the end of October by Applause Theatre Books. Doesnt sound too detailed. Amazon says it is only like 208 pages long.
LegallyBroadway2
Broadway Star
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/6/13 at 12:19pm
Just finished it this morning.

What a fantastic storyteller.

Great that there be a written account, as well as the unreleased documentary, to chronical the process.

Something I find fascinating is how Julie Taymor tried to have the original piece preserved on film. Unless I am uninformed to any, there are no captures that correctly preserve "1.0" right? The documentary must have an abundance of footage however...

Berger also stated how members of the team frequented the boards and the blogs, including himself. I remember this site had quite the hefty thread. After completing the book I looked at it once more. Scrolling through some of the pages, that I too were apart of, I was reminded of the callousness leading to and past the first preview. I still cannot understand the ill passion most had against the damn play. Typically, we honor progress, but most on this site just wanted the thing dead. Beaten dead bruised and broken. Before Spider-Man most posters were shunned by the community when giving "reviews" during previews. that changed. The level of respect was dismal. scathing personal attacks led the arguments, as if any of us actually knew what those six plus years truly entailed.

I just do hope all involved with the project were able to unwind with their families, pets, friends, whathaveyou before beginning their next works.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/6/13 at 12:28pm
"I still cannot understand the ill passion most had against the damn play."

Maybe because the whole thing smacked of the most cynical "creative" energies. It seemed like the kind of musical that was thought up in a pitch meeting of executives as opposed to genuine inspiration and love of the musical form.

BTW, I don't think creatives should be taking their notes from this or any other board.
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
LegallyBroadway2
Broadway Star
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/6/13 at 12:36pm
Ahh yes I forgot it was okay to act so fiercely on assumptions.
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/6/13 at 02:02pm
>>Maybe because the whole thing smacked of the most cynical "creative" energies. It seemed like the kind of musical that was thought up in a pitch meeting of executives as opposed to genuine inspiration and love of the musical form. <<

Taymor's vision seemed far from being cynical or just a pitch meeting with no inspiration. Apparently, she changed many aspects of the Spider-Man story and took lots of risks - she got people to believe in her vision to the tune of millions of dollars more than had ever been spent before. None of that was "safe".

The budget drove the story - and then the actual show didn't work for many people - including the creative talent. It could have been different. James Cameron movies usually have tons of criticisms over budget - but then once many people saw Titanic or Avatar, that criticism dissipated. I guess Spider-Man could have been a contender - instead of a bum.
Anthony Fremont
Stand-by
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/6/13 at 06:23pm
Having read the other artistic snafu tell-all of late-Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell's The Disaster Artist-I think what this otherwise wonderful book lacks is a real sense of who Glen Berger is as a person. There's precious little about who he was going in and what effect the mounting frustrations of Spider-Man had on the other people in his life, namely his family. We just have to make do with occasional references to him flirting with financial distress.

Maybe, like Disaster Artist, this book needed a Tom Bissell figure, a separate and analytical voice to balance Berger's intense emotion.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/6/13 at 07:15pm
I am dying to read THE DISASTER ARTIST! Now that is something I would love to see made as a musical!
"It's now rather very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. It has no meaning, no purpose. It has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that'. Well, so f**king what?"--Stephen Fry
RippedMan
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/6/13 at 07:29pm
Curious to see if Berger gets any of his plays produced in NYC.
Anthony Fremont
Stand-by
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/7/13 at 07:07am
^According to a few related articles, he's got a couple commissions for plays from around the country, and is teaming up for a musical based on August Rush.
Anthony Fremont
Stand-by
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/7/13 at 07:26am
I also don't think Riedel's calling Bono and The Edge "amiable dunces" is entirely accurate. According to Berger, they were very clearly dedicated and enthusiastic about the project. And quite frankly, I wouldn't want anyone to try and force U2 into any traditional musical theater mold.

It's just that, y'know, they're Bono and The Edge; they're very busy people, creatively and philanthropically. And it's not like the absentee rock star composer is a new thing; just ask Elton John.

Really tempted to give the album another go.

Updated On: 11/7/13 at 07:26 AM
suestorm
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/7/13 at 01:21pm
""Doesnt sound too detailed. Amazon says it is only like 208 pages long ""

I was flipping thru it in the bookstore, its well over 350 pages

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................
Updated On: 11/7/13 at 01:21 PM
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/7/13 at 01:52pm
Amazon does occasionally make errors like this. I would get it but I have so much unread stuff on my kindle no reason to rush to get it now.
Mary had a little lamb : The PC signature line.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/7/13 at 01:59pm
I'm almost done with it. I don't want it to end. What a story. The tiny bit of respect I had mustered up for Julie Taymor has been shot by reading this.
SPOILER
The part where it described how she went into America Olivo's dressing room after she had a rough preview performance and unleashed her wrath on the poor understudy to the extent of wall shaking screams... Wow.
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/7/13 at 03:18pm
Kind of reminds me of Heaven's Gate Director Michael Cimino

After he did The Deer Hunter, he was Hollywood's Golden Boy. They gave him the combination to the bank vault and said enjoy. He made Heaven's Gate and destroyed both his career and an entire studio United Artists in the process.

She did Lion King and the suits thought she could do no wrong. Suits were wrong again
Mary had a little lamb : The PC signature line.
suestorm
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/14/13 at 01:47pm
I love Riedels rave of the book...

“An entertaining tell-all about this infamous musical that, in the fall of 2010, made headlines almost every day….an accurate and candid account.” (Michael Riedel NY Post)

since in it he is described this way....

“ Riedel is a parasite-carrying blood-sucking mosquito depositing the larvae of an elephantiasis-causing filarial worm under the skin of our show.”

well according to him its very accurate and candid right? lmao

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................
Updated On: 11/14/13 at 01:47 PM
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/14/13 at 02:45pm
Oddly enough, I think Spider-Man is far superior to Lion King in every aspect. I was throughout entertained at Spider-Man. I was bored out of my mind at Lion King. I've never been a Taymor fan, but some of the stage pictures she created with Spider-Man are truly out of this world.
suestorm
Broadway Legend
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/14/13 at 03:45pm
you know, i felt the same way about LionKing. except for the animal parade i wasnt that crazy about it. Spiderman on the other hand was dazzling. both versions.
DrMike
Swing
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/15/13 at 11:22pm
Reading the book made me want to see the show again. Learning what was kept, what was removed and why made this a fascinating read for anyone involved in the creative process.
The Dark I Know Well
Swing
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/28/13 at 06:44am
Tone of videos: just seen Patrick page reading from the book from turn off the darks youtube channel & found it hard to pick up on the tone of it, does he think it's rubbish? I don't get why the official channel have made the videos, is the book being sold at the theatre? Have ordered my copy so should be here soon! Loved the show too
JMPlayer6
Featured Actor
Songs of Spiderman Book
Posted: 11/28/13 at 09:13am
I finished this on Tuesday, eight days after having purchased it. For those who followed the saga of this show, the overall broad strokes were known already, but there was some added detail in the book. I too was surprised to read the part about how Julie wanted 1.0 filmed for preservation; I had never read that detail before. I'm guessing that at least one motivation for this was to support legal action later. In general, though, I don't think Berger's telling "his side of the story" makes him look very good at all. If this guy operated in the Corporate world like this ... well, let's just leave it at that.
Shows seen in 2014 (NYC unless otherwise noted): 1/12 Working (Lyric Stage, Boston); 1/18 The Underpants (Hartford Stage); 1/25 The Bridges of Madison County (had seen at Wiiiamstown Theatre Festival); 1/25 Beautiful; 1/26 Machinal; 2/1 Laughter on the 23rd Floor (Ocean State Theatre); 2/2 The Lyons (2nd Story Theatre); 2/8 Outside Mullingar; 2/8 Bronx Bombers; 2/9 Little Me (Encores!); 2/16 Seven Keys to Baldpate (2nd Story Theatre); 2/23 Witness Uganda (ART, Cambridge MA); 3/8 The Happiest Song Plays Last; 3/8 Rocky; 3/9 The Other Josh Cohen (Papermill Playhouse); 3/15 4000 Miles (Long Wharf Theatre) ; 3/23 The Whale (Speakeasy, Boston); 3/29 Mothers and Sons; 3/29 Buyer & Cellar; 3/30 Of Mice and Men; 4/5 Becoming Cuba (Huntington Theatre, Boston); 4/6 45 Seconds from Broadway (Mansfield Music & Arts Society); 4/12 Bullets Over Broadway; 4/12 A Raisin in the Sun; 4/13 Les Miserables (saw original Broadway run plus recent national tour) ... Forthcoming: 4/19 We Will Rock You (PPAC); 4/26 Aladdin; 4/26 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; 4/27 If-Then; 5/3 Book of Mormon (PPAC, Providence RI; seen twice on Broadway previously); 5/4 42nd Street (Ocean State Theatre; previosuly seen on Broadway); 5/10 Violet; 5/10 Cabaret; 5/11 The Cripple of Inishmaan; 5/18 Light in the Piazzo (Wilbraham Players); 5/24 Casa Valentina; 5/24 Heathers: The Musical; 5/25 The Realistic Joneses; 6/7 The Velocity of Autumn; 6/7 Act One; 6/8 Grease (Papermill Playhouse); 6/22 Fingers & Toes (Ivoryton Playhouse); 7/3 Working on a Special Day (Barrington Stage); 7/4 Kiss Me Kate (Barrington Stage); 7/13 Me & My Girl (Reagle Music Theatre; had seen national tour); 7/19 Guys & Dolls (Ocean State Theatre); 9/20 Sorcerer (Theatre at Monmouth); 9/21 The Witches of Eastwick (Ogunquit Playhouse)