Breaking: LES MISERABLES Announces First Wave of 2014 Broadway Cast - Ramin Karimloo, Will Swenson, Nikki M. James & Caissie Levy

littlebro2
Swing
And the Tony goes to Ramin Karimloo....
2014- Cripple of Inishmaan, Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Bullets Over Broadway
bwayrose7
Featured Actor
Nomination at the very least! Glad he's taking the role to Broadway.
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
And the Tony goes to Ramin Karimloo....

It is WAY too early to be calling that. WAY too early.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
oncemorewithfeeling2
Stand-by
It's not the most inspired casting in the world, but I'm excited nonetheless. I'm seeing the Toronto cast in 2 weeks and I'm now really excited to see Ramin Karimloo before the spring. I'm personally interested in seeing who is cast as the Thenardiers and as Enjorlas. I know that just about every male under 40 in the city seems to have been seen for that role.
newintown
Broadway Legend
Isn't Michael Maguire the only actor to get a Tony for any role or production of this?
beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
I like Levy, but it would've been great if Sierra Boggess was Fantine alongside Karimloo.
Sutton Ross
Broadway Legend
This is amazing casting, I think Will Swenson will be an amazing Javert. But, a tiny part of me really wanted it to be Norm Lewis. Looking forward to seeing Ramin Karimloo for the first time!
nomore.org
Kad
Broadway Legend
I am trying really, really hard to be excited for the cast or the production.

But I can't seem to muster any enthusiasm whatsoever.
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Isn't Michael Maguire the only actor to get a Tony for any role or production of this?

Frances Ruffelle too.
"Don't patronize me, alright?" - BroadwayStar4
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
"Isn't Michael Maguire the only actor to get a Tony for any role or production of this?"

Frances Ruffelle also won for Best Featured Actress.
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
If the rumors are true, do you think Alice will get her second Tony as Madame Thenardier?
Sauja
Broadway Star
Newintown, France Ruffelle also won a tony for the original. No wins for the revival.

I love the Karimloo/Swenson casting. Nikki James will do a beautiful "On My Own," though she seems a little older than most actresses who take that role--or maybe I'm crazy. Have never been a Caissie Levy fan--she's talented, I'm just not that personally taken with her voice. Still, I'll hope she wins me over.
I started a blog! Cause I'm a nerd. http://100showsayear.blogspot.com/
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Okay... let's stop with the Tony predictions...

But I can't seem to muster any enthusiasm whatsoever.

Wholeheartedly agree.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Younger Brother
Broadway Star
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Star
I totally called Ramin as Valijean! And yeah, I wish Sierra was Fantine to have a reunion with Ramin. And even though I wish Sam was Eponine and that they'd cast someone younger for Eponine, Nikki will be great as her! I'm surprised over Nikki.
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
best12bars
Broadway Legend
If the rumors are true, do you think Alice will get her second Tony as Madame Thenardier?

Well, if they want some sort of realism, by casting Nikki James as Eponine, the Thenardier's should also be black.

And no, the Thenardier's aren't really Tony-winning roles. They're comic relief with not enough meat on the bones to win big awards. Fun roles, though.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3
Updated On: 10/22/13 at 03:26 PM
GatorNY
Broadway Legend
I'm so glad that I will not have to go to Toronto to see Ramin.
"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
I predict that Les Miserables may get nominated for best revival Tony and

that this page will be the first of many on this thread!
2014 Theatre: Billy Elliot***** Meet Me In St Louis*** American Psycho**** Tell Me On A Sunday**** Jeeves and Wooster: Perfect Nonsense* Stephen Ward**** Charlie and the Chocolate factory*** Dirty Dancing** Stephen Sondheim's Puttin It Together*** Candide*** The Lion King***** The Book of Mormon****** Les Miserable***** Stephen Ward**** The Weir**** Fortune's Fool*** Spamalot*** Superior Doughnuts**** Seven Brides For Seven Brothers**** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Finans Rainbow**** The Commitments** Boeing Boeing*** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) The A-Z of Mrs P** Billy Elliot***** Wicked** Good People***** Urinetown***** Spamalot*** The Full Monty**** Other Desert Cities*** Ghosts*** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels***** It's A Bird, It's A Plane, It's Superman*** Stephen Ward**** King Lear**** A Taste Of Honey** Blithe Spirit**** From Here To Eternity**** Spamalot*** Fiddler On The Roof** (Orchard Theatre, Dartford) Relative Values**** Fatal Attraction*** Matilda***** 39 Steps**** Another Country** Handbagged** Two Into One*** The Beautiful Game***** Let The Right One In**** Once**** Privacy***** Home** Best of Friends** Avenue Q*** Good People***** Betty Blue Eyes*** (Tour: Salisbury Playhouse) I Can't Sing* A View From The Bridge***** Water Babies **** (Tour: Leicester Curve) Miss Saigon***** In The Heights*** The Testament of Mary*** This May Hurt A Bit*** The Last 5 Years* (Greenwich Theatre) All My Sons*** Happy Days** Dirty Rotten Scoundrels**** Bakersfield Mist**** Ushers** The Pajama Game*** Evita*** (Tour: Orchard Theatre, Dartford)Fings Ain't What They Used To Be**** Billy Elliot***** Titus Andronicus**** 1984*** Clarence Darrow**** Miss Saigon***** A Small Family Business*** Things We Do For Love**** Hobson's Choice*** Rock of Ages*** (Tour: Churchill Theatre, Bromley) Zanna, Don't!*** The Silver Tassie** Bring Up The Bodies** Forbidden Broadway**** Carousel****
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
Will Swenson? Feh. I find him underwhelming. The rest I'm quite happy with, especially Ramin and Caissie.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
Thank you, best12bars. I have no problem with color blind casting, but there's such a thing as realism. I'd be fine with a mixed couple, but they need to make some effort with the Thernardiers.

It drove me crazy in the last production that a Hispanic woman gave birth to a little caucasian girl who grew up to be something completely different.
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
jacobsnchz14
Broadway Legend
Cast recording, please. Thank you.

YES... ANOTHER Les Mis recording... ANOTHER...

Updated On: 10/22/13 at 03:36 PM
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
Also: Ramin. In. My. Pants.
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
dreaming
Broadway Legend
Ramin making his Broadway debut is probably the only reason I'm excited about this production. I'm not a Caissie Levy fan at all. (I've been blessed with gorgeous-voiced Fantines-a wailing, shrieking one is not what I had in mind.) Nikki M. James seems like a very strong choice as Eponine. Will Swenson will be good I think, too.

I'd heard Samantha Hill was coming over as Cosette, too.

Page:

BROADWAYWORLD TV