Breaking News: Lilla Crawford Joins INTO THE WOODS Film as 'Little Red'; Stephen Sondheim Pens New Song

followspot
Broadway Star
And so we have it:

The Witch - Meryl Streep
Rapunzel Mackenzie Mauzy
Rapunzel's Prince Billy Magnussen
The Baker James Corden
The Baker's Wife Emily Blunt
The Baker's Father Simon Russell Beale
Little Red Lilla Crawford
Little Red's Grandmother Annette Crosbie
The Wolf Johnny Depp
Jack Daniel Huttlestone
Jack's Mother Tracey Ullman
The Giant Frances de la Tour
Cinderella Anna Kendrick
Cinderella's Prince Chris Pine
Cinderella's Mother Joanna Riding
Cinderella's Stepmother Christine Baranski
Cinderella's Stepsisters Tammy Blanchard, Lucy Punch

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 9/16/13 at 12:34 PM
Kad
Broadway Legend
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Movidude742
Stand-by
I still think that Lilla may be a tad young after I so enjoyed Sarah Stiles last summer in the role, but I certainly prefer this news to Sophia Grace as previously announced.
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
Yay! Lilla Crawford doing another bad accent! Can't wait!
That's right! Underscore mother-fu@#ers!
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Star

THANK YOU, CASTING GOD. WE HAVE AVOIDED ANOTHER TAYLOR SWIFT! I knew they couldn't be this stupid! Lilla is too young, but A LOT BETTER than Sophia! And I called it too

Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
Jungle Red
Broadway Legend
Who said that Lilla will have an accent?
"Bill Clinton is the ultimate whore! He stole Madonna's crown." -Jim Colyer, on 10/29/2012
beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
This is the Eponine situation with Taylor Swift and Samantha Barks all over again. Anyway, I'm happy for Lilla. She's a much better choice.

Updated On: 12/31/13 at 01:12 PM
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Wow, would love to hear the backstory. Now this is casting that makes sense, none of that Sophia Grace nonsense.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
quizking101
Broadway Legend
Why do I feel like Abigail Breslin (on the proviso that she could sing) would be the perfect age for Little Red

I'm nevertheless excited, since Sophia Grace sounded like a publicity stunt from the get-go.
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
I think it's great news. Good for her...and she is a much better choice for the role...no offense to Sophia Grace.
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
isn't Little Red supposed to be at least somewhat chubby? Considering the fact that much of the first act involves her eating.
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
Wildcard
Broadway Legend

Abigail Breslin already looks too mature for the role. At this point, she could very well be Rapunzel or Cinderella

Very glad that Lilla was confirmed as Little Red.

Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
aasjb4ever
Broadway Legend
Better Crawford than Sophia Grace. Eugh. I got through 7 seconds of her wretched video before I projectile vomited all over my newly re-tiled bathroom.
What a colossal piece of crap! It'll probably run for years.
WiCkEDrOcKS
Broadway Legend
Wait...what did I miss with Sophia Grace? I thought she was officially announced.
Current Avatar: Tony-winner Idina Menzel, delivering a sucker-punch of an 11:00 number, "Always Starting Over," in IF/THEN.
somethingwicked
Broadway Legend
The movie's been in rehearsal for over a month and just started filming this week. My guess is that they weren't happy with what they were seeing from Sophia Grace in rehearsal and have now moved forward and replaced her heading into the shoot.
Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
smallvillefan16
Understudy
Fantastic news. Film had me seriously concerned with changes with they said Sophia would be joining. Love LILLA!
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
"isn't Little Red supposed to be at least somewhat chubby? Considering the fact that much of the first act involves her eating."

No.
Eos
Leading Actor
Thank God this has happened.
The Overture is part of the show, people. Please shut your pie hole.
St. Louis Theatre Snob
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
Well...the Wolf does call her 'Miss Plump,' so one could read that as the character being on the...well...plumper side. But the role has been played by actresses of varying sizes.
Mattbrain
Broadway Legend
"Yay! Lilla Crawford doing another bad accent! Can't wait!"

Screw you, at least she can act and sing!

Oh and disneybroadway....love the gif! Huge NC fan right here!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 9/16/13 at 04:21 PM
KathyNYC2
Broadway Star
I don't get the accent comments. Lilla has no real accent - she is from LA. She was directed to use the NY accent she did at Annie. Why would she use another accent unless directed to do so?
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Yeah, I don't get the accent thing, it's clearly a put on accent that she was obligated to have during ANNIE. If you see the documentary about the show, all the girls were made to use that accent, and from the looks of it, the people involved were making a terrible job at getting through the girls. The production was uninspired, not Lilla. I do wish the actors were not asked to do a British accent, but they only cast a couple Americans in it, so I imagine they will. Accent or not, Lilla will be great as Little Red.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
Peoples is jus' pokin' some fun at huh what cuz the yakcent from da Annie show was so gawd awaful.

Page: