Comscore

MAMMA MIA! is Moving! Show to Transfer to Broadway's Broadhurst Theatre in Late 2013

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
GOOD! Let it play at the most uncomfortable theater on broadway until the end of time and let that glorious Winter Garden get some fresh life with a GOOD show!
TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
Broadway Star
The fanboy in me is hoping that this is to make room for a CATS revival at the Winter Garden.
Dessie
Understudy
Are they going to renovate the WG?
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
I doubt it needs much work since they did a renovation about 12 years ago.
supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
Leading Actor
Wait, there's a chance I may be able to venture into the Winter Garden again, and sometime soon?!?
CATSNYrevival
Broadway Legend
I fully support a Cats revival at the Winter Garden. Let's make it happen!
Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
Broadway Legend
Does this mean Rebecca will open up in the Winter Garden? It makes perfect sense.

Or not.
"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates
DAME Profile Photo
DAME
Broadway Legend
LIZA SHOULD PLAY THE WINTER GARDEN AGAIN!
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
Broadway Legend
i havent seen it yet, but i think it should close. it had a great 10-yr run
Broadway Shows: Phantom of the Opera (January 2011), Mary Poppins (January 2011), Anything Goes (August 2011, W/ Sutton Foster, Joel Grey, and Laura Osnes), The Lion King (August 2011), Godspell (June 2012, W/ Corbin Bleu), Matilda the Musical (Original Broadway Cast, May 2013), Newsies (May 2013), Cinderella (W/ Carly Rae Jepsen and Fran Drescher, May 2014), and Aladdin (OBC, May 2014). Pre-Broadway: If/Then (November 2013/World Premiere, W/ Idina Menzel, LaChanze, and Anthony Rapp). National Tours: Wicked (October 2012), Beauty & the Beast (January 2013), & Jersey Boys (November 2013)

Met Idina Menzel & Sierra Boggess (November 2013)
everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
I can't stand the stage version - though the movie is a guilty pleasure - but if it's still pulling in big crowds, why not? With the state of the world today, Broadway needs to have one straight-out good time show.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Cheetos Rivera Profile Photo
Cheetos Rivera
Swing
My guess for the Winter Garden is 'The Bodyguard' or that Spice Girls musical, if it ever finds its way over.
JakePinckes Profile Photo
JakePinckes
Chorus Member
Les Miserables is going to a Shubert theatre. Perhaps the Winter Garden?
PlayItAgain
Broadway Legend
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
I had a feeling this would happen, clearly the Shuberts wanted the Winter Garden for new musicals and Mamma Mia! was doing okay but not well enough to justify staying at such a big theatres but not bad enough to close. Weird that it has moved to smaller theatres in both London and Broadway in the space of a year.
MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
Broadway Star
^That could be. It's defiantly large enough to house Les Mis.
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend

This would be a really weird fit in the Winter Garden. The stage for the new Les Miserables tour is extremely narrow.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend

This would be a really weird fit in the Winter Garden. The stage for the new Les Miserables tour is extremely narrow.
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
I don't think they'll waste the Winter Garden on Les Mis. It's a third revival, and the last one fit into the Broadhurst. My guess is it'll go in the Schoenfeld.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Jonwo
Broadway Legend
The other option for Les Mis is the Imperial as I imagine Nice Work will close when Broderick leaves.

Moving the show to a smaller theatre will extend the shows life by a few years but it'll be weird not seeing it at the Winter Garden. I imagine they'll use one of the tour sets rather than build a new set for the Broadhurst.

Rocky has been mooted in the NYT which is possible as it was well received in Hamburg,

'I don't think they'll waste the Winter Garden on Les Mis. It's a third revival, and the last one fit into the Broadhurst. My guess is it'll go in the Schoenfeld.'

I think the Shuberts will want to have it free for plays that could be hits, The Audience has been rumoured for the Spring so I could it go there although it could easily go to the Longacre or Cort.
Updated On: 4/18/13 at 09:03 PM
aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
Broadway Legend
^Second revival. I'm guessing the Imperial.
What a colossal piece of crap! It'll probably run for years.
SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
Broadway Legend
Les Mis is a short run, apparently. Winter Garden might make sense because it's a big house.
beautywickedlover
Broadway Legend
'Rebecca' (if it will ever happen) and the 'Les Mis' revival were my guesses for the next show at the Winter Garden. The Broadhurst is interesting choice for 'Mamma Mia' to move to.
ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
Broadway Legend
Anyone else think they are going to want a bigger name show/revival to go into the Winter Garden? How about "My Fair Lady"?
roadmixer
Leading Actor
Les Miz is definitely going into the Imperial
WhatIWasBorn2Do Profile Photo
WhatIWasBorn2Do
Stand-by
Doesn't the Funny Girl revival with Rachel Berry still need a house? HmMmMmM....

Page:

INTO THE WOODS

Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement