THE ANARCHIST Reviews

LimelightMike
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 01:18pm
Today is Sunday, December 2, marking the official opening night performance for two-time Tony Award winner Patti LuPone and three-time Academy Award nominee Debra Winger's debate on faith, politics, persecution and redemption in the world premiere of David Mamet's new two-woman drama The Anarchis at the John Golden Theatre.

LuPone is cast as an inmate serving a life sentence and Debra Winger as the woman who must determine whether she is fit for parole in the tautly-penned, 70-minute play that began previews November 13 for a 14-week run through February 17, 2013, at the newly renovated Golden. Tony Award-nominated and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Mamet directs.

According to producers, "LuPone plays the title character and Winger plays a prison official. These actresses will make theatrical fireworks as one character, put away for life, wants out while the other wants to make sure she stays inside. This explosive new work by Mamet is about passion, redemption, deception, and revolution."
LimelightMike's 2010-2011 Theatergoing Schedule: THE PITMEN PAINTERS (10.03.10) A LIFE IN THE THEATRE (10.10.10) BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON (10.16.10) THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS (11.06.10) WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN (11.13.10) BRIEF ENCOUNTER (11.22.10) THE PEE-WEE HERMAN SHOW (11.28.10) LA BETE (12.23.10) A SMALL FIRE (01.13.11) THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON (03.09.11) ARCADIA (03.16.11) BLACK TIE (03.19.11) PRISCILLA: QUEEN OF THE DESERT (03.21.11) THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST (03.26.11) BENGAL TIGER AT THE BAGHDAD ZOO (03.30.11) GHETTO KLOWN (03.31.11) HOW TO SUCCEED... (04.07.11) ANYTHING GOES (04.12.11) JERUSALEM (04.20.11) SISTER ACT (04.29.11) iHO: (05.22.11)
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 03:18pm
This is going to be interesting.
"I think Glee is way too sharp, smart, witty, clever and emotionally confronting for the masses." - Dave19 - "What's next? Snow Black and the 7 Swaggers? Shasquirta and the Beast? 101 Weavematians? Willis in Ghettoland?" - Dave19, in reference to the new ANNIE remake.
PianoMann
Leading Actor
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 03:51pm
Has our general consensus been to this point that LuPone is excellent in a weak role, Winger is weak, and the play weaker?
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 04:01pm
Any good review would be a shock
Mary had a little lamb : The PC signature line.
April Saul
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 05:56pm
I'd say two fine actresses who deserve better material kind of sums it up. I thought they both tried their best.
wecrazy
Swing
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 06:00pm
Backstage is in and it is negative.

Backstage Anarchist Review
Updated On: 12/2/12 at 06:00 PM
AC126748
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 06:06pm
I'm usually not a member of the spoiler alert squad, but seriously Backstage, spoiler alert!
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
egghumor
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 06:13pm
Backstage seems to be an uber-blunt version of what most posters offered on the preview thread. If the critics showed no mercy for Reback's new play, I seriously doubt they'll give Mamet a break -- especially considering the issues in play and the brief duration...
AC126748
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 06:14pm
How long before knowitall shows up to do spin control?
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 06:20pm
Knowitall is probably at the show right now. Unless he's just one of Jeff's lowly paid slaves than he's at home drinking to forget the past week at the office.
"I think Glee is way too sharp, smart, witty, clever and emotionally confronting for the masses." - Dave19 - "What's next? Snow Black and the 7 Swaggers? Shasquirta and the Beast? 101 Weavematians? Willis in Ghettoland?" - Dave19, in reference to the new ANNIE remake.
egghumor
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 06:35pm
They need to give serious consideration to incorporating Jordan's version of the play into the next edition of FORBIDDEN BROADWAY.
AC126748
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 06:36pm
Matthew Murray is fairly positive with some very good words for Patti.

Even so, what is present finds full expression in Mamet’s quietly explosive staging, which contrasts the raging humanity of the story against the harshly institutional setting of Patrizia von Brandenstein’s stark office set beneath Jeff Croiter’s piercing lights, and particularly the actresses’ performances. LuPone does her finest, and most restrained, Broadway work in more than a decade, infusing Cathy with palpable angst and anger that seem destined to burst through her thickened skin. Yet these attributes are tempered by an oddly casual serenity that unquestionably imparts the impression that this is a woman who, for better or worse, is at peace with herself. You therefore believe both necessary halves of the equation, and are left guessing until the climactic revelations — and perhaps beyond — what her true motives are.

Link
Mystic Pasta
Understudy
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 06:51pm
It took 3 people to cast a 2 person play? That says something right there.
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 06:54pm
Murray is clearly on crack.
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 07:00pm
I agree with Murray. I liked the play and the performances. Just because someone liked something you did not does not mean they are "on crack."
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 07:09pm
I think calling Debra Winger's monotone snooze-fest of a performance "subtle" might...

Phew. This stunk. Either that or it just went RIGHT over my head.
showchoirguy
Broadway Star
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 07:19pm
^ Don't worry. You weren't the only one.
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 07:47pm
"...the printed script is so populated with periods that it could stop the earth from spinning..." Backstage

That explains why it's 70, instead of 45, minutes.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Gary Shandling
Updated On: 12/2/12 at 07:47 PM
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 08:01pm
It would be 90 minutes but when you remove Mamets customary F bombs you are lleft with 60 minutes
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 08:11pm
That word is only used once so what you wrote makes absolutely no sense in this situation.
givesmevoice
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 08:12pm
Apparently the sole f-bomb has been cut.
When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
AndersonTours
Understudy
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 08:13pm
One of the worst nights in the theater I've ever had. Well, most boring, really. Even crazy Patti was boring. This was like my college productions or community theater productions.
Run away.

Updated On: 12/2/12 at 08:13 PM
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 08:17pm
It does make sense. 60 minutes minus f words. 90 MINUTES if it had them. Really not that difficult to comprehend
everythingtaboo
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 08:22pm
Matthew Murray loves to be contrary to the general consensus of most critics, when he doesn't flat out hate something, so if he liked it, it's definitely gonna get trashed.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
iluvtheatertrash
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 08:25pm
When I saw it last week, there wasn't a single curse word.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
THE ANARCHIST Reviews
Posted: 12/2/12 at 08:30pm
I guess he realized that they weren't appropriate given the subject matter.

Page: