Music Direction

BroadwaySwag
Swing
Music Direction
Posted: 4/17/12 at 05:31pm
Hello all! I have an internship this summer at a children's theater and I have the pleasure of being the music director for one of the shows. I was just wondering if any of you had suggestions on music direction or things that you prefer in a music director that could possibly help me out a bit. I know fundamentals, but I'm a freshman in college right now and I want to make sure I do the best that I can. Thanks!
RyanQuinnMusic
Swing
Music Direction
Posted: 5/21/12 at 06:26pm
One thing I find about MD's in general, where I am from (Ireland) is that they have no real connection with the Characters. It may be fine that you can bring the best out of a chorus or a soloist vocally but bringing the character through into their voice is what makes it special! Think more about characterisation and how this is reflected in the song rather than focusing on the dots! (Although I do find this extremely difficult with younger casts and children!)
AdamQuinn
Understudy
Music Direction
Posted: 5/23/12 at 11:39am
I think there are a couple things to always keep in mind-

-vocal health is important. just because it sounds cool once doesn't mean they can do it for a long period of time.

-stay true to the music. often times kids love to add in their own little things (riffs etc) but stick to the score.

-the music is just as important to the book in telling the story. make sure you're always talking about why they're singing it and not just how to sing it.

-always be in communication with the director and choreographer to make sure you are all telling the same story with the score, dance, and acting.

-finally there is a fine line between strict and dedicated. make sure that you show them that you can have fun as long as you get the music done but if you need to you are able to put your foot down - but never be seen as "mean."

hope that helps!