Anyone Ever Actually Have a Vodka Stinger?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
She ordered one, too.
MarkBearSF
Understudy
A few years ago, we had some friends over for the PBS airing of the Company revival and I headed down to the Castro beforehand to buy some creme de menthe. Evidently it's such an old fashioned liqueur that I had to try a liquor store, two grocery stores and a wine shop until I found a bottle in the second wine shop (and the last chance within a half-mile radius)

By the way, that bottle hasn't been touched since that evening.
Jungle Red
Broadway Legend
Out of curiosity, which wine shop?

I live in San Francisco too.
"Bill Clinton is the ultimate whore! He stole Madonna's crown." -Jim Colyer, on 10/29/2012
After Eight
Broadway Legend
"By the way, that bottle hasn't been touched since that evening."

If you can find a bottle of white creme de cacao, you can make a grasshopper cocktail. Much better than a vodka stinger. Or you can pour a little over vanilla ice cream.
henrikegerman
Broadway Legend
"Depsite what Henrik says, Joanne does indeed order two more bourbons and vodka stinger before she sings the song."

Oh. Nevermind.
MarkBearSF
Understudy
I think it's called "Village Wines." It's on 19th St, West of Castro, next to Spike's Coffee & Teas.
Jungle Red
Broadway Legend
Oh! I've never gone in there, but I used to go to Spike's all the time.
"Bill Clinton is the ultimate whore! He stole Madonna's crown." -Jim Colyer, on 10/29/2012
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Here is Joanne's speech preceding "Ladies Who Lunch." The italics are the original stage directions and the capital letters are the original emphasis:

===

LARRY: (Laughing) Joanne, I love you when you're jealous. Kiss me.

JOANNE: I hated dinner. I hated the opera, and I hate it here. What I need is more to drink--and look at Bobby, how desperately he needs another drink. (The waiters enter again. The female patrons are seen seated at various tables) Here they come again. SIR! DRINKS HERE--TWO MORE BOURBONS AND A VODKA STINGER! Do you know that we are suddenly at an age where we find ourselves too young for the old people and too old for the young ones? We're nowhere. I think we better drink to us--the generation gap. WE ARE THE GENERATION GAP! (The other women in the club turn and stare at her) Are they staring at me? Let 'em stare--let 'em, those broads. What else have they got to do--all dressed up and with no place to go.

LARRY: What time is it?

JOANNE: In real life? Will somebody get us another drink? (At this point each of the four waiters delivers a round of drinks to the table) Oh, you did. So aggressive. (To the other women) STOP STARING! (There is a blackout on the nightclub, leaving her alone in a spotlight; she turns to the audience) I'd like to propose a toast. (She sings.)
yr pal,
joey

Blocked so far: suestorm, Master Bates
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
But she never says that vodka stinger is for her! Maybe it's for Larry!
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
I think it's lazy writing on Furth's part, retro-fitting the mention of the Vodka Stinger in Sondheim's lyric into the script, without considering for a second that in Sondheim's lyric, Joanne is not singing about herself but the Girls Who Just Watch, who have another Vodka Stinger after coming up with another reason not to move and another brilliant zinger.

By putting it into the dialogue, he turns Joanne into someone who drinks Vodka Stingers.
yr pal,
joey

Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
I guess I always took that verse about the girls who just watch to be about Joanne, though.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Creme de menthe isn't old fashioned but it might be more of a cold weather area item. It's used in a lot of hot drinks.
Addison D.
Broadway Legend
Doesn't Joanne see herself as one of the Ladies?
You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...
Jungle Red
Broadway Legend
I don't think so. The speech, along with the song, makes me think that the women who have lunch, and wear hats, are older than she, and she doesn't consider herself to be old.

What do you serve vodka stingers in anyway? Martini glasses? Maybe I've watched CAMP too many times, but I always think of Joanne drinking out of a martini glass.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
In the Lincoln Center production, Patti drinks hers out of a martini class.

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
yr pal,
joey

Wynbish
Broadway Legend
I thought of Camp too, when Anna indicated her glass when singing, "another vodka stinger".
Addison D.
Broadway Legend
Huh. I always read her saying "I think we better drink to us" and then moving directly into 'the Ladies Who Lunch' as implicitly putting "us" in with "the Ladies"...
You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...
Princeton78
Broadway Legend
I can tolerate one every once in a while, but you've REALLY got to be O.K. with a minty taste.
"Y'all have a GRAND day now"
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
I don't think the connection is that literal. Who would be the other usses? Larry and Bobby? The women in the club who are staring at her?

If anything, "us" refers to all those in the generation gap she mentions.

I think it's meant more figuratively than literally.
yr pal,
joey

Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Yeah, I'm with PJ on the "us" being Bobby and Joanne, the Generation Gap. But I'm still confused about whether or not the consensus is that Joanne sees herself as one of the ladies.
Kad
Broadway Legend
Yeah, cream de menthe isn't at all hard to find in NYC. It's no creme de violette.

After Eight
Broadway Legend
^

Actually, cream de menthe might be hard to find in NYC. Creme de menthe is probably easier.

As for creme de violette: Yum. Yum squared, even.

As for Joanne, what does it matter if she drinks vodka stingers or not? She knows how to down 'em, whatever's in her glass.
GlindatheGood22
Broadway Legend
I've always thought Joanne to be an alcoholic, but watching the Philarmonic DVD I caught Bobby's line, "I don't know what to make of the fact that you only drink with me."

So what does that imply?
I leave the room smiling.
artscallion
Broadway Legend

Any stinger I've ever had has been served in a rocks glass... But maybe they serve them differently to ladies.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
"Evidently it's such an old fashioned liqueur that I had to try a liquor store, two grocery stores and a wine shop until I found a bottle"

Interesting. Remember in Tales of the City, when Dee Dee comes to speak to Mary Ann, Mary Ann offers her creme de menthe and Dee Dee asks if it's white?
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Page:

SUBMISSIONS ONLY
Watch Ep. 1-4 | Ep. 5 Coming in...