WAKE UP with BWW 7/30/14 - SEX WITH STRANGERS at Second Stage, Rick Bayless in Chicago and More!
Good morning, BroadwayWorld! Because we know all our readers eat, sleep and breathe Broadway, what could be better than waking up to it? Today's big news: SEX WITH STRANGERS opens at Second Stage, Rick Bayless brings a theatrical feast to Lookingglass and more!
TODAY'S TOP ITEMS:
- Second Stage's SEX WITH STRANGERS with Billy Magnussen and Anna Gunn, opens off-Broadway!
- Celebrity chef Rick Bayless (see above - can we have salsa for breakfast?) hosts CASCABEL, beginning tonight at Chicago's Lookingglass Theatre...
- Gail Bennett and Tony Mansker lead MARY POPPINS, which opens today at Maine's Ogunquit Playhouse.
- And Kelly Briggs plays King Arthur at Surflight in Monty Python's SPAMALOT!
NEWS YOU MISSED YESTERDAY:
- THE PRINCESS BRIDE is still aiming for Broadway under director Rob Reiner...
- LADY DAY, starring Audra McDonald, has recouped on Broadway!
- Brian Stokes Mitchell is set to star in THE BAND WAGON for Encores! this fall.
- We got a sneak peek at promo pics for AN AMERICAN IN PARIS!
- Plus, we snagged a first look (right) at Gillian Anderson and Ben Foster in A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE at the Young vic...
- Could Mandy Patinkin be coming back to Broadway next year?
- ALW's Really Useful Group is suing Michael Cohl for the cancellation of the JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR U.S. arena tour...
- And finally, Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's CHEEK TO CHEEK will hit the shelves in September!
Broadway Weather Forecast: Weather Channel says 'plentiful sunshine' for today. We can get used to that phrase! High of 80 degrees.
Quote of the Day: Rick Bayless on chowing down on-screen...
What we're singing: A new collection of sheet music, THE BEST OF IDINA MENZEL, is out today, and we're tempted to use "Let It Go" for every audition... Or, if you'd rather take on a tune from IF/THEN, you can get the vocal selections online!
And finally, a Happy Birthday shout-out to Laurence Fishburne, who turns 54 today!
He last appeared on Broadway in 2008's Thurgood and before that starred in The Lion in Winter and Two Trains Running, for which he won the 1992 Tony and Drama Desk awards for Best Featured Actor in a Play. In 1995, the actor became the first African American to play Othello in a major motion picture under director Oliver Parker. Fishburne will next appear on the big screen in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and stars in the TV series Hannibal.
See you bright and early tomorrow, BroadwayWorld!