Stage Door Debuts Anthony Newley's THE LAST SONG to Celebrate 81st Birthday, Nov 5
THE LAST SONG is the long awaited final studio album from legendary performer Anthony Newley. Recorded in London between 1996 and 1997, these timeless songs represent Anthony Newley's final recordings and have remained unreleased, until now.
Newley passed away in April 1999 after losing his battle with cancer. However, his musical legacy which encompasses musicals, stage shows, television, hit songs and recordings thankfully remain.
As a bonus, the album features two Christmas songs composed by Newley and recorded in 1997. Originally intended for release as a Holiday single, the tracks now make their debut for Christmas 2012. Also featured are a number of unreleased live tracks, including performances of the songs most synonymous with Anthony Newley; 'What Kind Of Fool Am I?' and 'Who Can I Turn To?'; reimagined with a delicious disco arrangement.
'The Last Song' is a joint collaboration between Stage Door Records and the Anthony Newley Society, endorsed by Newley's children Sacha and Tara. Speaking about the project, Sacha Newley commented: "Once again, The Anthony Newley Society & Stage Door Records has shown exceptional and unflagging devotion to the cause by making available another trove of unissued Newley material. It's through the patient work of devoted followers and appreciators that a cultural and historical wrong is being righted, and Anthony Newley’s diverse achievement is once more being placed before the public in all its genuine unity."
1. MY FIRST LOVE SONG (from 'The Roar of the Greasepaint - The Smell
of the Crowd')
2. ME WITHOUT YOU
3. THE PEOPLE TREE (with Petula Clark) (from 'The Good Old Bad Old
4. NO SUCH THING AS LOVE
5. ARE WE HAVING FUN YET? (with Julia McKenzie) (from 'Chaplin')
6. LOVE SONGS DON'T COME EASY ANYMORE
7. MUSIC OF THE UNIVERSE (with Marti Webb) (from 'Once Upon a Song')
8. LOVE HAS THE LONGEST MEMORY (from 'Quilp')
9. MY LAST SONG
10. WHAT SHALL WE BRING?
11. Santa Claus IS ELVIS
12. BEWARE THE NIGHT (LIVE) (from 'Richard III - Rules OK!')
13. WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I? (LIVE) (from 'Stop the World, I Want to
14. WHO CAN I TURN TO? - DISCO (LIVE) (from 'The Roar of the
The Smell of the Crowd')
15. THE MAN WHO MAKES YOU LAUGH (LIVE)