Reminder: BC/EFA's 2013 Broadway Flea Market & Grand Auction Set for Sunday
The biggest day of the year for Broadway fans is only four days away as Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS sets the stage for the 27th AnnualBroadway Flea Market & Grand Auction (#bwayflea). The all-day, outdoor market features one-of-a-kind theatre treasures, once-in-a-lifetime onstage and backstage experiences and your favorite stars from Broadway's biggest shows.
Spend this Sunday, September 22, 2013, with Broadway Cares and thousands of other theatre fans in Shubert Alley and along West 44th Street (between Broadway and Eighth Avenue). Open 10 AM - 7 PM, this not-to-be-missed event for every Broadway theatergoer is free and open to the public.
Among the priceless lots available through this year's Grand Auction are private lunches with stage-and-screen icon Angela Lansbury and beloved two-time Tony Award winner Judith Light, opening night VIP tickets to 17 of this season's new Broadway shows, walk-on roles at nine Broadway shows, Elphaba's broom used by Idina Menzel in the Broadway production of Wicked and much more.
From posing for photos with your favorite Broadway and television stars, to buying that lost cast recording, rare costume sketches or special gift you can't find anywhere else - the Broadway Flea Market & Grand Auction promises something for everyone.
Nearly 60 tables full of Broadway memorabilia and trinkets will line West 44th Street, between Broadway and Eighth Avenue. Among the shows scheduled to have tables this year are Annie, Avenue Q, The Book of Mormon, Cinderella, Kinky Boots, The Lion King, Mamma Mia!, Matilda The Musical, Motown The Musical, Naked Boys Singing, NEWSical The Musical, Newsies, Once, Pippin, The Phantom of the Opera, Rock of Ages, The Trip to Bountiful and Wicked.
The Grand Auction, always a highlight of the event, will take place this year in Shubert Alley. The Grand Auction is divided in two parts: a daylong series of silent auctions and a live auction that wraps up the day.
The live auction starts at 5 PM. Among the more than 40 amazing lots up for bid are:
- An unforgettable private lunch with stage-and-screen legend Angela Lansbury, winner of five Tony Awards and a three-time Oscar and 18-time Emmy nominee
- A T-shirt worn onstage by Tom Hanks during his Tony-nominated Broadway debut in Lucky Guy, autographed and dated by Hanks
- A once-in-a-lifetime private meeting with legendary Broadway producer Hal Prince in his Rockefeller Plaza office
- Walk-on roles in Chicago, Cinderella, Kinky Boots, Disney's The Lion King, Mamma Mia!, Motown The Musical, Once, The Phantom of the Opera and Rock of Ages
- Backstage meet-and-greets with Arthur Darvill at Once, Krysta Rodriguez and Zachary Levi at First Date, Michael Urie at Buyer and Cellar and more
- Opening night VIP tickets and party passes to 700 Sundays, Aladdin, Betrayal, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, LES MISERABLES, Rocky and 11 other new Broadway shows
- VIP visits to TV's top drama NCIS: Los Angeles, perennial fashionista favorite Project Runway and comedy stalwarts The Colbert Report, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and Saturday Night Live.
Earlier in the day, a new collection of silent auction lots will be up for bid every 30 minutes beginning at 10 AM. Among the one-of-kind theatre memorabilia available are:
- Personal photos and notes signed by legends Tallulah Bankhead, Douglas Fairbanks, Cary Grant, Joel Grey, Katharine Hepburn, Mary Martin,Ethel Merman, Liza Minnelli, Mary Pickford, Stephen Sondheim, Gwen Verdon and more
- Musical phrases written and signed by Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alan Boublil, Berry Gordy, Cyndi Lauper, Stephen Schwartz, Alan Menken, Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, Dick Scanlan and Jeanine Tesori, Duncan Sheik and Steven Sater, Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey, LynnAhrens and Stephen Flaherty, Bobby Lopez and Jeff Marx, Billie Joe Armstrong and more
- Autographed props and wardrobe pieces from A Chorus Line, Cinderella, Grace, The Little Mermaid, Pippin, The Wedding Singer, Wicked and more
- Official posters autographed by dozens of participants in past editions of Tony Awards, Gypsy of the Year, Easter Bonnet Competition andBroadway Flea Market & Grand Auction
- Playbills, posters, CDs and other theatre memorabilia signed by the companies of The Book of Mormon, Evita, Lucky Guy, Merrily We Roll Along,The Nance, Three Days of Rain, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and more
More than 60 beloved and rising stars of stage and screen - including 18 Tony Award winners - are scheduled to appear at the always-popularAutograph Table and Photo Booth, hosted by the always entertaining Jim Caruso of the weekly "Jim Caruso's Cast Party" at Birdland. Each hour, beginning at 11 AM, a New Group of celebrities will take their places on the deck of Junior's Restaurant next to Shubert Alley. In exchange for donations to Broadway Cares, fans can get autographs and or step into the photo booth with their favorite stars. This year's line-up includes Tony winners LauraBenanti, Len Cariou, Gabriel Ebert, Sutton Foster, Harriet Harris, Shuler Hensley, Cherry Jones, Judith Light, Debra Monk, Donna Murphy, BebeNeuwirth, Bernadette Peters, Billy Porter and Faith Prince, as well as other Broadway favorites including Robert Cuccioli, Santino Fontana, JeremyJordan, Aaron Lazar, Jan Maxwell, Lindsay Mendez, Julia Murney, Rory O'Malley, Laura Osnes, Patrick Page, Christopher Sieber, Matthew JamesThomas, Patrick Wilson and many more. For a complete list of celebrities and their appearance times, go to broadwaycares.org. All appearances are subject to change.