Public Theater's INTO THE WOODS Opens Tonight in Central Park!
The Public Theater recently announced that it will extend Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine's beloved musical INTO THE WOODS one final week through Saturday, September 1. The Shakespeare in the Park production, part of The Public's 50th Anniversary season at the Delacorte, will officially open on tonight, August 9.
Directed by Timothy Sheader with co-direction by Liam Steel, INTO THE WOODS began previews on Tuesday, July 24 and was originally scheduled to close on Saturday, August 25.
The Public Theater will offer a special family-friendly matinee of INTO THE WOODS on Wednesday, August 22 at 3 p.m. at the Delacorte Theater. This matinee is designed to engage younger audiences and to serve families unable to attend evening performances. The 95-minute production will comprise act one only of Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine's beloved musical INTO THE WOODS. There will still be an 8:00 p.m. evening performance of INTO THE WOODS on August 22. Tickets to the special family-friendly matinee will be distributed for FREE primarily through the Virtual Ticketing lottery (www.shakespeareinthepark.org/matinee), with a limited number of tickets available through a stand-by line on the day of the performance.
The cast of INTO THE WOODS features Amy Adams (Baker's Wife); Jack Broderick (Narrator); Glenn Close (The Voice of the Giant); Gideon Glick (Jack); Cooper Grodin (Rapunzel's Prince); Ellen Harvey (Cinderella's Stepmother); Ivan Hernandez (Cinderella's Prince, Wolf); Tina Johnson (Red Ridinghood's Granny); Josh Lamon (Steward); Bethany Moore (Florinda); Jessie Mueller (Cinderella); Donna Murphy (The Witch); Denis O'Hare (The Baker); Jennifer Rias (Lucinda); Laura Shoop (Cinderella's Mother); Tess Soltau (Rapunzel); Sarah Stiles (Little Red Ridinghood); Kristine Zbornik (Jack's Mother); and Chip Zien (Mysterious Man). The non-Equity ensemble of INTO THE WOODS features Victoria Cook, Johnny Newcomb, Noah Radcliffe, and Eric R. Williams.
In INTO THE WOODS, a witch's curse condemns the Baker and his Wife to a life without children. They embark on a quest to find the four items required to break the spell: the cow as white as milk, the cape as red as blood, the hair as yellow as corn, and the slipper as pure as gold. Will they succeed? And what happens after "happily ever after?" A Tony Award-winning masterpiece by musical theater giants Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine, INTO THE WOODS is a witty and irreverent reimagining of beloved classic fairytales: Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Cinderella.
- THE LITMASH with Brian Babylon Set for 4/7
- Washington Post Award to Honor Anacostia Playhouse Co-Founders
- WHITE MARRIAGE Runs 4/5-5/25 at Odyssey Theatre
- Playwrights Theatre Receives 2014 Outstanding Arts Organization from Morris Arts
- Mike Albo's THE JUNKET Begins Previews at Lynn Redgrave Theater this Week
- Watermill Theatre to Present New Adaptation of SENSE AND SENSIBILITY, Begin. 3 April
- Magenta Giraffe to Present LOVE IS STRANGE, 4/4-26
- Radcliffe Roundup: First Look at Broadway-Bound THE CRIPPLE OF INISHMAAN
- Rosebank Theatre to Present THE WAY WE WERE, 1-12 April
- Former BILLY ELLIOT Star Tommy Batchelor Joins Cast of Short North Stage's THE WHO'S TOMMY