Matthew Broderick, Robert DeNiro, et al. Share New Year's Wishes
Times Square Alliance and Countdown Entertainment, organizers of Times Square New Year's Eve, today announced that there are 19 days left for the public to submit their New Year's Eve wishes at the Times Square Visitor Center, located on Seventh Avenue between 46th and 47th Streets, or online at www.TimesSquareNYC.org. Wishes collected at the Center and online will become part of the confetti that flutters down at midnight in Times Square on New Year's Eve 2012. Stars who have contributed personal wishes to help celebrate the countdown to 2012 include Mayor Bloomberg, Robert De Niro, Jessica Biel, Matthew Broderick, Abigail Breslin, Hot Chelle Rae, BrIan Williams, Sanjay Gupta MD, Wendy Williams, Carson Daly, and Jake T. Austin.
Each year, people from around the globe write their wishes for the New Year on pieces of official Times Square New Year's Eve confetti. Wishes are posted on the New Year's Eve "Wishing Wall" at the Times Square Visitor Center until December 31, 2011. The wishes will then be mixed-in with one ton of confetti that will flutter down onto revelers gathered in Times Square when the Ball, designed by Waterford Crystal and lit by Philips Luxeon LEDs, drops at midnight. For those unable to travel to New York, wishes can also be submitted online.
"New Year's Eve is a time for renewal and hope," said Times Square Alliance President Tim Tompkins. "The confetti wishes originated as a way to highlight those values and to excite revelers all across the globe for one of the most iconic celebrations in the world-New Year's Eve in Times Square."
New Year's Eve wishes range from pleas to resolve a particular issue to personal aspirations. Stars have contributed their wishes for 2012 to help encourage New Yorkers and visitors worldwide to submit their own:
- "My wish for New York is that we continue to be the safest big city in the country, with the strongest and most innovative economy."
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg
- "I hope everybody does well – all of us. The whole country, everybody. More jobs, everything."
Robert De Niro
- "My wish for 2012 is peace and a healthy worldwide economy, and hopefully, a lot more things to laugh about."
Jane Rosenthal, co-founder of Tribeca Film Festival
- "I'd like to learn another language. But I say that every year, I've said that for about 12 years now."
- "I had so much fun in 2011 so I hope it's just as fun. And, hopefully, I want to learn the keyboard this year."
- "I wish this piece of confetti would get picked up!"
Hot Chelle Rae at MTV's 10 on Top
- "I would love to see cooperative law makers. I would love to see good music, great movies, good books – all the things that distract us from our problems, and there are many."
BrIan Williams, NBC Nightly News
- "My wish is that no child go to bed hungry in 2012 or ever after -- whether you live in Mogadishu or Manhattan. This, we can do."
Sanjay Gupta MD, CNN
- "My greatest wish for 2012 is for my family to be happy, healthy and safe. I've been blessed with a life full of rich experiences and opportunities and I wish the same for everyone. Dream big. Nothing is impossible if you believe."