Matthew Broderick, Robert DeNiro, et al. Share New Year's Wishes
Times Square Alliance and Countdown Entertainment, organizers of Times Square New Year's Eve, today announced that there are 19 days left for the public to submit their New Year's Eve wishes at the Times Square Visitor Center, located on Seventh Avenue between 46th and 47th Streets, or online at www.TimesSquareNYC.org. Wishes collected at the Center and online will become part of the confetti that flutters down at midnight in Times Square on New Year's Eve 2012. Stars who have contributed personal wishes to help celebrate the countdown to 2012 include Mayor Bloomberg, Robert De Niro, Jessica Biel, Matthew Broderick, Abigail Breslin, Hot Chelle Rae, BrIan Williams, Sanjay Gupta MD, Wendy Williams, Carson Daly, and Jake T. Austin.
Each year, people from around the globe write their wishes for the New Year on pieces of official Times Square New Year's Eve confetti. Wishes are posted on the New Year's Eve "Wishing Wall" at the Times Square Visitor Center until December 31, 2011. The wishes will then be mixed-in with one ton of confetti that will flutter down onto revelers gathered in Times Square when the Ball, designed by Waterford Crystal and lit by Philips Luxeon LEDs, drops at midnight. For those unable to travel to New York, wishes can also be submitted online.
"New Year's Eve is a time for renewal and hope," said Times Square Alliance President Tim Tompkins. "The confetti wishes originated as a way to highlight those values and to excite revelers all across the globe for one of the most iconic celebrations in the world-New Year's Eve in Times Square."
New Year's Eve wishes range from pleas to resolve a particular issue to personal aspirations. Stars have contributed their wishes for 2012 to help encourage New Yorkers and visitors worldwide to submit their own:
- "My wish for New York is that we continue to be the safest big city in the country, with the strongest and most innovative economy."
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg
- "I hope everybody does well – all of us. The whole country, everybody. More jobs, everything."
Robert De Niro
- "My wish for 2012 is peace and a healthy worldwide economy, and hopefully, a lot more things to laugh about."
Jane Rosenthal, co-founder of Tribeca Film Festival
- "I'd like to learn another language. But I say that every year, I've said that for about 12 years now."
- "I had so much fun in 2011 so I hope it's just as fun. And, hopefully, I want to learn the keyboard this year."
- "I wish this piece of confetti would get picked up!"
Hot Chelle Rae at MTV's 10 on Top
- "I would love to see cooperative law makers. I would love to see good music, great movies, good books – all the things that distract us from our problems, and there are many."
BrIan Williams, NBC Nightly News
- "My wish is that no child go to bed hungry in 2012 or ever after -- whether you live in Mogadishu or Manhattan. This, we can do."
Sanjay Gupta MD, CNN
- "My greatest wish for 2012 is for my family to be happy, healthy and safe. I've been blessed with a life full of rich experiences and opportunities and I wish the same for everyone. Dream big. Nothing is impossible if you believe."
- "My wish for 2012 is for everyone to remember and give thanks to those that have kept us safe - all military overseas and the veterans who have returned home. God Bless our Troops."
- "I wish for everyone to meet their goals and expectations for the upcoming year."
Jake T. Austin
- "My wish is that children who are suffering will find health, hope and happiness this year - thanks to angels like the women behind Childhelp.org."
Megyn Kelly of Fox's All-American New Year's Show with Megyn Kelly and Bill Hemmer
- "In 2012, my wish is for family and friends to have strong, invigorating health and greater prosperity."
Bill Hemmer of Fox's All-American New Year's Show with Megyn Kelly and Bill Hemmer
- "My wish for 2012 is that every woman in the world would recognize her power and beauty and have the wisdom and confidence to actively pursue her dreams."
Michelle Loucadoux, Anything Goes
- "My wish for 2012 is for all the bullied kids out there. I hope they realize that life is so worth living and that suicide should never be an option. I hope that we as a nation can come to the aid of these kids that desperately need someone to turn to. I wish them all strength, love, and hope."
Raymond Lee, Anything Goes
- "I wish for palm trees everywhere, even in Minnesota."
Lenay Dunn, Host of MTV's 10 on Top
- "I wish for a year of love, happiness and lots of great music."
Jessica Lowndes, 90210, at MTV's 10 on Top
- "My wish for 2012 is to release 'Strange Clouds' in March!!!"
B.o.B. at MTV's 10 on Top
- "I wish you'd kiss the person to your left."
Erica Dasher at MTV's 10 on Top
- "My New Year's Eve wish is awesomeness."
Vanessa Marano at MTV's 10 on Top
- "I wish for a toilet seat made of gold."
Nick Roux at MTV's 10 on Top
Visitors are also invited to kiss their sweetheart in front of the New Year's Eve Centennial Ball, located at the Times Square Visitor Center, where a special countdown show will happen every 20 minutes. The Centennial Ball stood atop One Times Square in 2007 to celebrate its 100th drop.
The Times Square Visitor Center and Museum is managed by the Times Square Alliance. The Visitor Center is located on 7th Avenue between 46th Street and 47th Street. It is open seven days a week from 8am to 8pm. For more information, visit www.TimesSquareNYC.org.
The Times Square Alliance and Countdown Entertainment are the organizers of Times Square New Year's Eve. The Times Square Alliance works to improve and promote Times Square so that it retains the energy, edge and distinctiveness that have made it an icon of entertainment, culture and urban life. Countdown Entertainment, which represents the owners of One Times Square, and the New Year's Eve Ball, is a marketing management and consulting services company specializing in the Times Square area.
The Times Square Alliance, founded in 1992, works to improve and promote Times Square - cultivating the creativity, energy and edge that have made the area an icon of entertainment, culture and urban life for over a century. In addition to providing core neighborhood services with its Public Safety Officers and Sanitation Associates, the Alliance promotes local businesses; encourages economic development and public improvements; co-coordinates numerous major events in Times Square (including the annual New Year's Eve and Broadway on Broadway celebrations); manages the Times Square Visitor Center and Mini-Museum; and advocates on behalf of its constituents with respect to a host of public policy, planning and quality-of-life issues. www.TimesSquareNYC.org