Page: 1

The Producers!

Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Producers!#1
Posted: 5/22/09 at 4:58pm
Now I be you thoughts this thread was going to be about The Producers......er didn't you? Well its not, it's about The Producers (actual).

Reading program notes of shows I have seen recently I have noticed the amount of producers a show has, alright I know its good business acumen not to put all your eggs in one basked, but it is also good practice not to spread butter too thinly!

Why do modern shows need so many producers

For example;

Wicked 6
Hairspray 8
Spring Awakening 10+
Billy Elliot 6
Sister Act 10+
Carousel 10
Priscilla 9
Oliver 1
The Phantom of the Opera 2
Grease 1
The Jersey Boys 2
Dirty Dancing 7
Joseph 2
La Cage aux Folles 1?
Las Miserable 1
Blood Brothers 1?
Updated On: 5/22/09 at 04:58 PM
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Producers!#2
Posted: 5/23/09 at 1:42am
I would think that a show would have more then one producer because that means that they wouldn't have to loose so much if the show were in fact a flop. If there were more people producing it then they would all take a small hit financially rather then everything crashing down on one guy.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Producers!#2
Posted: 5/23/09 at 4:16am
That's what I mean by not putting all your eggs in one basket! But its not a good idea to slice the cake to thinly as people will still be hungry.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Producers!#3
Posted: 5/23/09 at 2:16pm
But, keep in mind that there are some shows that are an exception to what you posted about. For example, you have in your list shows like Les Miserables and Grease that only have one producer.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Producers!#4
Posted: 5/23/09 at 4:47pm
Yes Cameroon Mackintosh and David Ian, they have awesome responsibility, but the rewards are great, which they have tasted in heaps and deservedly so. Why do modern shows need sp many Producers? I guess this will not be answered.

Which brings me onto my main point, Spring Awakening is closing in London after being very well received by the media and a lot of people on here, it is a very good show and does not deserve to close so soon.

I noticed with Spring Awakening that it has a lot of Producers, so not muck cake to go round, if there was only one producer which would equal one bigger slice of cake, could it be possible it might not close?
steve6
Swing
Swing
re: The Producers!#5
Posted: 5/23/09 at 7:54pm
I remember reading an article which interviewed the main producer from Spring who said something about how he had to have so many 'producers' listed because there were so many investors. In other words I think with the current economic climate being what it is, producers and investors aren't willing to part with as much cash as they might once have done. So new shows require more people willing to give money. These people then expect a bit more for their buck so get elevated to the title of 'producer' when really a more suitable title would simply be investor.

And I guess that kind of brings up your question about too many producers being a possible reason for Spring's closing. I'm not to sure personally, and there are people on here far more knowledgable about these sort of things, but I guess another way to look at it is that without ALL those 'producers' Spring might not have even managed the funds to open in the first place. Catch 22 perhaps?

winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Producers!#6
Posted: 5/23/09 at 10:17pm
The reason why Spring Awakening is closing is due to lack of ticket sales. I think that the PR firm had a tough time figuring out a way to advertise the show in a way that would work. I personally think that it went quickly from its run at the Apollo Hammersmith to The Novello. But, that's just me. In short the reason why Spring Awakening is closing is due to lack of ticket sales and not the number of producers the show has. The number of producers a show has has nothing to do with the number of tickets that will be sold for a given show.

Steve is right, that this is a tough economic time and with more producers working on a show t would mean that each of them wouldn't have to give up as much money as they would have if it had just been them working on the show. Thus, the produces wouldn't have to make as big a financial risk as they would have to if it were just them producing a show on their own.

Also it could be that major producers don't want to take the risk. David Stone who is one of the producers of Wicked started out as a major player in Universal Pictures. In fact, I believe he and Universal Pictures are both credited as producers for the show along with a couple of other people. That being said, he could have produced the show on his own considering that he has enough money to do so. However, considering that Wicked's rights prior to it being a musical were sold to Universal to turn into a movie. When they realized that it would work better as a musical, Universal produced it. In fact I believe that in the show business documentary Stone talked about how it is different to produce a show vs a movie.