Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!

hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#1
Posted: 3/4/09 at 4:19pm
Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!

Finally got to see Oliver! last night and absolutely loved it - I can't believe I've never seen it on stage before.

Jodie Prenger was out so we got the alternate Nancy, Tamson Carroll, who was excellent. Judging from the replacement sign in the lobby, which looked far from temporary, it seems Jodie's absence is a regular event - the programme seller said she was having throat trouble, Connie Fisher revisited, by the sound of it.

Great production overall, fantastic sets which seemed to get stuck halfway through the second act - we suffered a five minute break in the proceedings - again, it seems they happen fairly often. Welsh Oliver, Gwion, is a better singer than actor, Burn Gorman is vastly underused (almost as much as Bill Sikes' dog) but Rowan Atkinson as Fagin was brilliant, very funny (one woman in the front row seemed to have convulsions every time he appeared).

As previously threatened on this forum, I couldn't resist dressing the part - see photo - at least I removed my top hat when I sat down.

Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#2
Posted: 3/4/09 at 4:44pm
It was announced last week I think, Jodies off with throat problems. So Tamsin and Sarah Lark are sharing the role this week. Further details are on See Tickets website. And yep, sounds like Connie all over again!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#2
Posted: 3/4/09 at 4:47pm
PS - Great photo and outfit!!

From See Tickets

On the advice of her doctors, Jodie Prenger will be taking an enforced break from appearing in OLIVER! from the 2nd to the 7th March 2009. Medical examination following a recurring sore throat has revealed some minor swelling to the vocal cords which is a common problem in singers. The medical advice is to take six complete days rest to prevent the problem from developing into a serious condition, at the end of which she will resume her normal performance schedule.

In her absence the role of Nancy will be shared between Tamsin Carroll who played the role to great acclaim in Australia, and Sarah Lark who was one of the finalists in the I'D DO ANYTHING competition last year.

The producers apologise for any disappointment this may cause, as with any live performance the appearance of the billed performers cannot always be guaranteed due to illness or other unavoidable circumstances.

Sickness and holiday permitting, Jodie Prenger is scheduled to perform on Monday and Tuesday evenings, Wednesday matinees, Friday evenings and both performances on Saturday until 12 December 2009. PLEASE NOTE: She will be on holiday from Monday 4 to Saturday 9 May 2009.

Leading Australian actress Tamsin Carroll (who played the role of Nancy in the 2002 Australian production of Oliver!) will play the role of Nancy on Wednesday and Thursday evenings.

Rowan Atkinson will star as Fagin until 18 July 2009. PLEASE NOTE: He will be on holiday from Thursday 26 March to Saturday 5 April 09 inclusive.

Award-winning actor and comedian Omid Djalili will star as the next Fagin for performances from 20 July to 12 December 2009.
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#3
Posted: 3/4/09 at 5:00pm
So I'll get Tamsin on Friday?
Love the outfit!!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#4
Posted: 3/6/09 at 6:57am
From the horse's mouth as it were.
She is going to be out at least the next week. The company are handling this with kid gloves as they don't want another McCutchen scenario playing at The Lane.
They see it as becoming more a McCutchen problem than a Fisher one.

** i would have loved to see the reaction of people as you strutted your stuff around Covent Garden!
Updated On: 3/6/09 at 06:57 AM
RaspberrySparkles Profile PhotoRaspberrySparkles Profile Photo
RaspberrySparkles
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#5
Posted: 3/6/09 at 11:07am
Is it Tamsin tonight? I'm going..
hotjohn Profile Photohotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#6
Posted: 3/6/09 at 3:12pm
Travelling on the bus and tube in my top hat and tails was quite an experience but one I think I could get used to. As I stood at the theatre entrance waiting for my long-suffering partner I fielded a number of questions from punters and posed for photos. One woman in the row in front of me said she expected me to jump up and join in during the show!

p.s. My Priscilla outfit for the 25th is coming along nicely.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#7
Posted: 3/6/09 at 7:46pm
I should have joined you in my Nell Gwyn outfit!
I would have looked a right Nancy!
Updated On: 3/7/09 at 07:46 PM
nlm
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#8
Posted: 3/6/09 at 9:42pm
Sarah's doing the two shows that Tamsin usually does (Wed and Thurs nights) and Tamsin is doing the shows that Jodie usually does (Tues night, Wed matinee, Friday night, both shows Sat and Sunday).

That being said there must be something going around that company since Tamsin has been suffering from laryngitis the past few weeks herself.
MariusPontmercy Profile PhotoMariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#9
Posted: 3/7/09 at 5:56am
"That being said there must be something going around that company since Tamsin has been suffering from laryngitis the past few weeks herself."

It may just be co-incidence. What Jodie has sounds like a vocal strain/injury of some kind, whereas I think Tamsin was just ill. I might be wrong about that, though.
nlm
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Putting On My Top Hat For Oliver!#10
Posted: 3/7/09 at 7:25am
It may just be co-incidence. What Jodie has sounds like a vocal strain/injury of some kind, whereas I think Tamsin was just ill. I might be wrong about that, though.

Yep Tamsin was just ill, my guess is Jodie hadn't gotten the knack of live performing without straining voice, etc.