Page: 1

Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??

webby5
Swing
Swing
Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#1
Posted: 12/20/08 at 4:43am
From what ive been hearing since she's been back in the uk, she has not been up to standard with her acting or singing. Im going to see wicked in january and hope she is better then what ive heard. Any thoughts on this?? by the way, LOVED her on the royal variety performance!!
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#2
Posted: 12/20/08 at 4:48am
I saw her the over week and I thought her singing and acting was better HOWEVER, her performance was poor, due to the fake American accent she had GAINED! So no, I do not think she has lost it, I think shes jus got something new we dont want!
Winston3
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#2
Posted: 12/20/08 at 5:05am
I saw her twice during her stint on Broadway. I must say that knowing that she is English and knowing that she actually speaks and had preformed the role prior with her regular English accent really threw me off when I first heard her speak. Also I had seen video clips of her performances some bootleg some from shows like West End Live and her version of The Wizard and I really blew me away just on a video so much so that I could only wonder what it would be like when I saw her live. Let's just say that when I did see her live she left more to be desired. I do understand that she did get sick towards the beginning of her run on Broadway and when she started rehearsal for the Broadway production it was the day after her flight landed at JFK. So, she really had no proper time to recover from jet lag. So I can understand and see where your coming from about not being too happy with her performance.
Goodbye Sister Disco
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#3
Posted: 12/20/08 at 8:15am
I'm going to see her the week after next, so i'll be able to give a proper answer to this then...but for now...

I doubt think she's lost it, I just think she's growing tired of the role. It's so demanding and unless you're 100% into it, then it just won't work.

From what I've heard, she has gotten a lot better since Broadway (I'm guessing because she actually had time off for once) but hasn't returned to her prior superb standard as of yet. She's brought back the uber-growl which is fine, because we haven't heard it in months, but she isn't holding on notes as much as she's trademarked to do which is a shame. I'm guessing its to preserve her voice. I hear her acting has improved, and that slowly her American accent is disappearing; no more 'graviDy'.

So I wouldn't say she's lost it at all, because she's still one of the best right now - but she isn't her old self, not as much passion or goose-bump inducing performances. That, I imagine would be remedied if someone gave her a slap and told her to get her act together.
WishingOnlyWounds2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#4
Posted: 12/20/08 at 9:46am
But the end of her Broadway run she did get it back, she took off some shows which was good for her, if you "YouTube" her last on Broadway is was phenomenal. When she returned she was saving up for the Royal Variety performance, but if you again "YouTube" 'Kerry Ellis Defying Gravity 15-12-08' you will see shes back.
2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot
westend_fan
Swing
Swing
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#5
Posted: 12/20/08 at 2:41pm
I dont think shes lost it. I saw her on 6th Dec and her acting was the best ive seen it, and she only very occasionally slipped into an american accent. She was slightly holding back in her singing but ive heard from people who have seen her since the royal variety performance that shes not holding back anymore.
luke-h*** Profile Photoluke-h*** Profile Photo
luke-h***
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#6
Posted: 12/20/08 at 3:50pm
From what I've seen of Kerry Ellis as Elphaba I am not impressed. Her acting seems very mediocre and her singing comes off as effortless, and not in the good way. Like in a bootleg I saw of her Defying Gravity, she just looked like she quite frankly couldn't be arsed and wasn't enjoying herself! Maybe this was a one off, but her Royal Variety Performance made my opinion of her no better. It was badly sung and a bad version. Sure she can hit the notes, but theres nothing unique there.
Final thought: Brian May should be bitch slapped for even thinking of touching Defying Gravity!
THEATRE 2016: Grey Gardens; SwkPlayhouse, Cats; London Palladium, Into the Woods; Royal Exchange, Show Boat; Sheffield Crucible, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Prsicilla Queen of the Desert; UK Tour, Narrative; RWCMD, Mojo; RWCMD, The Barber of Seville; WNO, Rabbit Hole; Hampstead, The Marriage of Figaro; WNO, Figaro Gets a Divorce; WNO, Tom: The Musical; UK Tour Upcoming: Anything Can Happen; RWCMD, Cysgy'n Brys'ur, Long Day's Journey Into Night; Bristol Old Vic, Only the Brave, The Caretaker; The Old Vic, People Places and Things, Blue/Orange; Young Vic, Bernadette Peters, Carole King, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II
CONAries Profile PhotoCONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#7
Posted: 12/20/08 at 3:53pm
I mean, she has got ALOT better, but I still dont think she's up to Alexia Khadime standard, so maybe the question should have been, did she ever have it??
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#8
Posted: 12/20/08 at 4:29pm
Problem with Kerry, is that her face isn't very expressive and when she sings she doesn't need to 'strain' her face...so it looks like she can't be bothered.

Obviously, her acting isn't tops...but she's improved a lot. Still worth a visit.
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#9
Posted: 12/23/08 at 5:35am
I'm sure I've posted about this on her before, but I saw her on 4th December and she was f***ing awful. She made no attempt to act at all and just looked like she wanted it to end. She didn't hold any of the notes during Defying Gravity, her No Good Deed sounded like someone absentmindedly singing to themselves, and she only belted at the end of The WIzard and I, and even then I got the feeling she only belted because she had to. She was nothing less than appalling, and I even heard someone in the foyer saying she was 'crap' and they didn't know what all the fuss was about. Her voice was weak, her acting was embarrassing and her overall stage persona seemed like a stroppy teenager who'd been thrown on the stage afer having her ciggies confiscated. I've heard she's getting better but I think I'll wait now until Khadime comes back. That girl never let me down and I still get chills thinking about her last performance.
angel_star Profile Photoangel_star Profile Photo
angel_star
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#10
Posted: 12/25/08 at 2:46pm
I agree with LovePigeon. I havent seen her since shes been back but when I saw her she didnt bother at all. I understand the comment about her not having to strain so it looks like she just goes through the motions but she could at least act! She rushed everything and I was actually out of the theatre 10mins earlier than when Idina did it. Dont get me wrong her voice is INCREIBLE but its not all about that.
As for Alexia, I thought she was great. Still not as good a performance as Idina but hey, she originated the role, but I think that people need to stop coming too and fro from this character. There is living proof that people get bored and dont give the role enough respect once theyve been doing it for ages. Also there are sooooooooooooooo many girls out there who are just as capable of playing the role and would give their all every single night because they have been given the chance! Even the 1st cover Ashleigh Gray is great and I know she would be 100% commited in every performance.
Anyway my rant is over. It will always be the best show in the west end but theyve gotts keeo that role fresh cos it goes stale quickly!
x
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Kerry Ellis - Has she lost it??#11
Posted: 12/25/08 at 3:04pm
I think we can all agree that she's been doing it for too long!

I love that lady, but her stint has probably been for too long. I mean, I get bored so easily doing the same thing I can't imagine doing the same show 8 times a week for - what will be - like 3 years or something ridiculous.

Who knows, she's great but I think she needs something to sink her teeth into. I think I've said it before - but if she took a role on the lines of Paulette when LB comes to the West End, I reckon she'd love it. She likes her popular shows, the part is in the limelight enough for her to rock out...but not too much that she overdoes it.

Ah well, just a musing of a crazed (slightly merry) young man after hours of eating and drinking...maybe its gone to my head?