Page: 1

'Quadrophenia -The Rock Opera'-Live On Stage

MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Quadrophenia -The Rock Opera'-Live On Stage

The Who and Pete Townsends 1973 album, 'Quadrophenia', is to tour the UK from next Spring in a major staging that will open in the West End in December 2009.
The tour kicks off at the Theatre Royal, Plymouth on May 9th.
The album was made in to a highly successful movie in 1979 and starred Sting, Phil Daniels, Phil Winston and Toyah. The movie was never as successful as 'Tommy' was a few years earlier but has now become a cult classic.
Early reports are hinting that Sting will be one of the shows main producers.
*I see this as a suitable show for the New London Theatre after it has another run of 10 or more mega flops?

Updated On: 12/10/08 at 09:44 PM
Winston3
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I remember hearing a few songs on Pete Townshend's blog when he was talking about making Quadrophenia a musical a la Tommy. I heard new orchestrations for 5:15 and Sea and Sand. I hope it does well enough for some transfer to Broadway. It would be interesting if this musical if it does transfer were to be the opposite of Tommy. Tommy was pretty successful on Broadway but was a flop in London (my guessing is because it played at the then cursed Shaftsbury Theatre). It would be interesting if this were a successful show in London but not so successful on Broadway. I don't know if this will be as successful as Tommy though.

Keep in mind that the movie lost a lot of potential fans when they found out that it wasn't a musical like the film of Tommy was. Also, according to some rock critics at the time Quad was hard to follow unless you read the little summary insert that came with the record or in todays world that came with the CD. The insert was a few paragraphs written as if it were done by the main character Jimmy, about his life and what is going on. Unlike Tommy where you can listen to it and figure out the story Quad is just a few days in the life of Jimmy as a mod teen and doesn't have the same fleshed out story that something like Tommy has. We shall see only time will tell.

This makes me wonder if I can use my encyclopedic knowledge of both The Who and Broadway into some sort of money making scheme.
Goodbye Sister Disco
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Quadrophenia is one of my absolute favourite albums - it's a brilliant work by Townshend, and the 1996 tour really showed how complex and melodic it can be once the arrangements are fully laid out. This has the potential to be a phenomenal show (and one I'd love to work on if any of the producers are reading this and hiring) but making the narrative coherent will be challenging to say the least.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Tommy' in town was pretty amazing!
'Tommy' on tour was a disaster and got taken off before doing half its dates!

lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I love the film so much. When I put the effort in, my hair can look like Leslie Ash's did in it. I love Breaking Glass too; it had a few of the same people in in it and seems to have been marketed to the same audience. Now that could be good on stage, although it would probably appeal to about eight people, only 30% more than Imagine this did.
Updated On: 12/16/08 at 08:35 AM