Sister Act: it's official

lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sister Act: it's official#1
Posted: 11/6/08 at 11:56am
Sister Act has taken the Palladium. It's booking from May 2009 to February 2010, which I feel is a little ambitious. I'm disgusted.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#2
Posted: 11/6/08 at 12:14pm
Wheres it booking? Not on See or Ticketmaster as yet...or you got a heads up?
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#2
Posted: 11/6/08 at 12:18pm
Can't be worse than Desperately Seeking Susan was unless it's even more boring.
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#3
Posted: 11/6/08 at 1:08pm
It wont be announced yet! The public wont get wind of this for a few weeks.
tickets dont go sale for a show a show straight away you know- there are many things to be sorted before you see it on sale with TicketMaster.
Its next May- 8 months away!

LP- I'm with you!
BRING BACK VARIETY TO ITS RIGHTFUL WEST END HOME!
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sister Act: it's official#4
Posted: 11/6/08 at 1:08pm
I am looking forward to this musical. As a fan of Alan's, it'll be great to hear a brand new score from him. Whether or not it's got the Palladium (this won't be truly recognised until the press release), it'll still be a fun show to see in London. And - with the fun ones closing (Avenue Q, Spamalot) it should be a new show to tickle our funny bones.
Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#5
Posted: 11/6/08 at 1:18pm
It has the Palladium.
When I say it wont be announced yet i mean as in the first press release etc and ticket sales- expect that around Christmas!
Auditions have been intense the last two weeks. I know one name who's doing it - well a name LOL. There is a possibility of a great comic lady doing it too.
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#6
Posted: 11/6/08 at 1:43pm
I think to be fair, reality shows do not sound too bad, this is def not for me, I imagine the ctitics will hate, but when I think that they normally love the show, such as Lord of the Rings, Never Forget and Zorro!
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#7
Posted: 11/6/08 at 2:36pm
'tickets dont go sale for a show a show straight away you know- there are many things to be sorted before you see it on sale with TicketMaster.
Its next May- 8 months away!'

A smidge patronising there! lol Yeah I realise that, its just as LP phrased it 'It's booking from May 2009 to February 2010' I wasnt sure if they meant they had insider info or they had actually seen it onsale somewhere
toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Phototoanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sister Act: it's official#8
Posted: 11/6/08 at 10:14pm
I don't want to be skeptical here, but I am.

Still don't get why they would disown the beloved film 'score'.

Alas, gotta have faith re: Sister Act: it's official
lovepigeon Profile Photolovepigeon Profile Photo
lovepigeon
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sister Act: it's official#9
Posted: 11/7/08 at 4:24am
I haven't checked, but I imagine it'll be onsale pretty much everywhere from today as allocations where distributed yesterday afternoon.

These are dark, dark times.
fairygodmother Profile Photofairygodmother Profile Photo
fairygodmother
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Sister Act: it's official#10
Posted: 11/7/08 at 7:31pm
argh, this makes me mad - lovepigeon, what do you have against this show that hasn't even been seen yet?!
I understand people's worries about straying from the popular film score, and I hope the new score can win people over. But this is a new musical - based on a film, but just as original as Hairspray, say, and look how fabulous that turned out to be!

I just don't get how people can have such strong negative opinions already? I was involved in the workshop, so my positive opinions are founded in having the material I've heard so far, and an excitement in how it will be in full production. It may not work, and it might not satisfy those people who want to hear the songs from the film - but if it was that, wouldn't people be moaning about 'yet another jukebox-type show'? I think it must be very hard to please everybody these days - shows like Imagine This are v hard to sell because it has no 'hook', and its rare now that one can sneak in to the public consciousness on merit alone - I mean, I wish Parade was a huge west end sellout for 10 years, but it doesn't look like those are the times in which we live. So why not 'sneak in' good new mt material via famous means, like film adaptations?

ps I'd love to hear some of these casting/audition rumours, particularly the comedienne???? come on, lovely people, give it up! re: Sister Act: it's official
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#11
Posted: 11/8/08 at 5:11am
I can't help on the casting rumours Fairygodmother but I'm definitely looking forward to a brand new Alan Mencken score and would be definitely moaning if it were a jukebox musical.
devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#12
Posted: 11/8/08 at 7:34am
This is about as sensible a theatre choice as when Batboy took the Shaftesbury!
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#13
Posted: 11/8/08 at 8:05am
agreed
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#14
Posted: 11/8/08 at 8:51am
I was not a fan of the film - but any show with a score by Alan Menken will have me in the front of the queue for tickets!
THEATRE 2019: ASPECTS OF LOVE**** FRANKENSTEIN (Paris)**** AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE**** COMPANY***** [title of show]**** CAN CAN*** THE CEREAL CAFE**** BAD GIRLS**** RAGS***** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** FOLLIES***** ROMANCE ROMANCE**** THE MARVELOUS WONDERETTES*** LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE***** QUEEN OF THE MIST**** SIX** THE PRICE***** MAGGIE MAY **** CALENDAR GIRLS** MAN OF LA MANCHA**** WAITRESS***** FANNY AND STELLA***
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#15
Posted: 11/8/08 at 8:53am
Unfortunately the score is one of the weakest parts of the show
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
masque2
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Sister Act: it's official#16
Posted: 11/8/08 at 10:17am
I saw the show in Atlanta, and I remembered enjoying most of the music. "Take Me to Heaven" really stands out in my mind. There were only a couple of songs that I didn't care for at the time. Hopefully, those have been changed a bit. The audience that I went to see it with was really receptive to it, and everyone was laughing quite a bit (even at the stuff that I really didn't think was funny). I'd like to see it again just to see it might have evolved.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#17
Posted: 11/8/08 at 10:21am
I think what will be staged at the Palladium will be a long way from what was seen in the States. It got a medium to cold reception there so I would imagine, and hope, they've listened and done a lot of work to it.
I still think the Palladium of all places is a wrong choice and they will be lucky to complete the initial contract till Feb 2010.
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#18
Posted: 11/8/08 at 10:24am
re: Sister Act: it's official

I think that what will be staged at the Palladium will be a long way from what was seen in the States. It got a medium to cold reception there so I would imagine, and hope, they've listened and done a lot of work to it.
I still think the Palladium of all places is a wrong choice and they will be lucky to complete the initial contract till Feb 2010.

Updated On: 11/8/08 at 10:24 AM
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Sister Act: it's official#19
Posted: 11/8/08 at 1:52pm
Palladium full of nuns, will people know the show has changed when walking past re: Sister Act: it's official
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#20
Posted: 11/8/08 at 2:06pm
Good point, jags! LOL

Is this the show that had John Owen Jones' name connected to it?
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#21
Posted: 11/9/08 at 10:08am
I agree with Mama that the Palladium is a great theatre, but will overwhelm the production, completely wrong choice of theatre, the best theatre I could think of is the Shaftsbury, I hear a grown as this would mean Hairspray closing, oh no, transfer this to the Palladium, think it would be great on such a big stage.

Or alternatively bring the New York production of South Pacific over, which would do very well cosidering the response this got in New York and as many of you know that New York is a very hard place to do revivals and are a lot better received in London.

A bit of brotherly love with my advice here, but Sister Act not at The Palladium!
LuPonatic Profile PhotoLuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#22
Posted: 11/11/08 at 3:48pm
I hope they record. I always love Alan Menken music.
Princeton2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Sister Act: it's official#24
Posted: 11/13/08 at 7:43am
At least they kept the promise of keeping seats down to 50 though they do go to 60 on weekends. and the premium seats are 85.
THe art work is truly dreadful- so cheap and nasty looking! DIRE!
Updated On: 11/13/08 at 07:43 AM