Page: 1

'Lyrics By Don Black' - At The London Palladium Sunday 17th Aug

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Lyrics By Don Black' - At The London Palladium Sunday 17th Aug

Anyone going along to this concert tonight. There are plenty of seats still available.

This is the closest we'll get to the wonderful 'Black Goes With Everything' that was presented in Bromley back in 1999 but had its West End transfer to the Theatre Royal Haymarket cancelled last minute!
Could be a good evenings entertainment.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 09:42 AM
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This would have interested me but I didn't know anything about it until yesterday, and that was too late to get organised.

I rate Don Black a better lyricist than Tim Rice.
Braid7
Swing
Swing
I went to this and it was a really good night which showcased the timeless and eclectic back catalogue of Don Black.

All of the musical theatre performers were excellent. It was nice to hear Lee Mead really show off his vocals, Ryan Molloy gave a dashing rendition of a new number from the upcoming Count of Monte Cristo ably assisted by Maria Friedman who was, as always, a treat to listen to. My personal favourite was Matt Rawle's rendition of Thunderball but then, as a huge fan of his, I may be a little biased!!

One low point, IMO, was Craig David. An egotistical entrance followed by a very poor vocal performance ("Ben") spoiled what was otherwise a high level of performance throughout.

Don Black's affable nature was clear to see when he gave thanks and spoke a few words at the end of a night that not only illustrated what a talent he is but also what a great ambassador he is.
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
I should have been there, but the car decided it didn't feel like co-operating.

I will still listen on Friday, of course, but I would have loved to have been there. And I would be very interested to hear how the broadcast actually compares to the reality of the show.

And although again I will get to hear "The Count of Monte Cristo" pieces, as rather intrigued by, I was somewhat surprised that Ryan Molloy sang from it. I expected him to have been in the concert for his falsetto, but really can't imagine the role to be one that would require a falsetto. Or was he not actually singing as Monte Cristo himself. I am presuming that Maria Friedman was Mercedes. Was it made clear? And was there any comment made re whether/when it might actually get staged?
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
And as another thought, what do people think of "Billy", then, as a likely revival as mentioned?
Braid7
Swing
Swing
No, Ryan Molloy sang as a tenor not falsetto and, from the lyics and brief description given, I'm almost positive that it was the role of Edmund/Count. As for the show itself, no specifics were given but it did sound like it's more a matter of *when* rather than *if* the Count of Monte Cristo hits the West End.

I liked the number from Billy Liar although it's not a musical I'm overly familiar with. I also wondered if it was a hint at the future casting of the new production having Lee Mead perform it? After all, it sounded as though "Billy" will be happening very soon and Lee Mead's Joseph contract is due up in, if I remember rightly, January.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kicking myself senseless for not going as I got side tracked by a load of poofs in Soho on Sunday night!!! Actually had tickets too!
Its to be broadcast on BBC radio in the next month or two.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 8/19/08 at 09:04 PM
'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
Wickedboy2 This is being broadcast this Friday(22nd Aug)on radio 2 7.30pm-9.15. It should also be on listen again for a week afterwards.
aka Ria
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks 'darlin! x
Now all i got to do is buy a radio!

SADM2 don't even think about commenting on my technical skills OK!
(are they called wirelesses or radios theses days lol)
'ponnine
Understudy
Understudy
Glad to be of use, would hate for you to have missed the show twice in one week. re: 'Lyrics By Don Black' -Tonight at the London Palladium (Sun 17th) lol!!

I'll have to cach it on iplayer over the weekend because I'll be a the Shaftesbury for 'Hairspray' Fri night.

aka Ria
Updated On: 8/20/08 at 06:03 PM
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
Wicked one, are you in the know re whether or not the Lee Mead/Billy thing is a done deal?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes!
No!
My lips are sealed and have been since he signed for 'Joseph' till next year! That give you a clue?
Updated On: 8/20/08 at 08:09 PM
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
Hmmmmm!

A clue, indeed. Specific relevance!

When Billy was very successful back in the 70's, though, it was on the back of Michael Crawford. And he was HUGE then! For all that he had vast experience on stage already, and was entirely right, he was also "stunt" casting from the biggest television show (by miles). "Some Mothers do 'Ave 'Em", wasn't just a comedy show, it was a phenomenon! And Michael Crawford as a draw was the biggest thing imaginable. No one is close to comparable today, not even John Barrowman(lol)! But now there could be a little presumption that the material played a larger part in the success than it actually did.
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 08:21 AM
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Lyrics By Don Black' -Tonight at the London Palladium (Sun 17th)

'Billy' was in advanced stages of being revived by Prince Edwards failed theatre production company back in 1987. It was to have starred Jonathan Morris (TVs 'Bread') and Ria Jones.
Word at the time of the company closing was mummy took his pocket money away!!!
The Drury Lane production remains in my top favorite, big West End show list!

ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
I could see Jonathan Morris as Billy quite easily. I could Lee Mead too. But that is said from the perspective of never having actually seen the show! And not actually knowing anyone who did who's around to ask about it any more either. I haven't even heard the music for a long time. There is an age old tape of Michael Crawford hiding somewhere here, but it's choosing to stay wherever the Gremlins have put it at the moment. But it was never actually one that appealed hugely, although it possibly wasn't given that much of a chance.

They might not have officially confirmed Lee mead, but "Billy" itself was an "is" being revived rather than a "might be". So it's good to hear such a commendation. It might be affected a little by how long your favourites list is of course. But it sounds good! Do you think it is a show that will go down well again now? And do you know who's producing it?

But I have to say I am inherently more intrigued by "The Count of Monte Cristo". Is there anything reasonably substantive going on re that yet?
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've seen an amateur production of Billy and have the CD but I can't help thinking that John Barry wasn't as turned on by theatre as cinema. Listen to the score for Lolita My Love which, like Billy, has some good songs but some that are below par as well.