'My Fair Lady' -The Movie. Why?

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'My Fair Lady' -The Movie. Why?#1
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:29pm
Sony Pictures and CBS are to develop a new film of the classic stage musical, 'My Fair Lady'. The original starred Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison. Casting for the new version will begin shortly. Cameron Mackintosh is one of the two producers who intend to film in England using as many out outside locations,such as Covent Garden, as possible.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 6/9/08 at 11:29 PM
abitoftap Profile Photoabitoftap Profile Photo
abitoftap
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#2
Posted: 6/6/08 at 2:27am
Just Say No
vassey
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#2
Posted: 6/6/08 at 2:49am
Unexpected! I think it might be a good idea, as I find the original film to be incredibly stagey, and I hated Hepburn in it.
WestEndAndy Profile PhotoWestEndAndy Profile Photo
WestEndAndy
Understudy
Understudy
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#3
Posted: 6/6/08 at 3:19am
What an incredibly stupid idea. The film, though not perfect, is so widely known and available that any attempt to 'update' it would fall flat on its face. Anyway, Covent Garden 2008 looks nothing like it did in 1912. The sets were wonderful.
Why isn't Mackintosh putting his money and energies into that Les Mis film, for pete's sake? Or even a Miss Saigon film?
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#4
Posted: 6/6/08 at 4:06am
It's a bit late for more BWW April Fools' Jokes, right?

I agree.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#5
Posted: 6/6/08 at 4:51am
If it ain't broke- don't fix it!
I'd like to see him put money into finishing off refurbishing his West End houses before venturing off into film land! Cinema chains have no shortage of money to built 50 screen cinemas across the country but he is the first to claim our theatres are crumbling.
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 6/6/08 at 04:51 AM
Scot3
Swing
Swing
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#6
Posted: 6/6/08 at 5:02am
I agree that I'd much prefer a film of Les Mis the musical.

Is the film being made to put bums on seats for a re-run of My Fair Lady in the West End and/or on Broadway or vice versa a re-run of My Fair Lady as a trailer for the film?

I've always loved Pygmalion. (Studying it at school didn't take the shine off it.) I found the musical absolutely riveting and enchanting and I'll happily watch the classic film many times and see any stage production which comes to my local area but I think I'd avoid a new film of the musical.

Updated On: 6/6/08 at 05:02 AM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#7
Posted: 6/6/08 at 7:49am
This will be horrible!!!!

People are not really interested in going to watch 'these' kind of musicals anymore.It's a sunday afternoon musical on TV which the oldies and the Gays love.
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#8
Posted: 6/6/08 at 7:54am
Stupid idea. I won't go.
WestEndAndy Profile PhotoWestEndAndy Profile Photo
WestEndAndy
Understudy
Understudy
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#9
Posted: 6/6/08 at 8:00am
You can't 'modernise' what is basically a fifties play with fifties songs - other than send it up or rewrite the script and add new songs. I remember hearing some bored teenager sitting behind me at the Drury Lane revival ask how much longer to the intermission, while Eliza was singing her big song I COULD HAVE DANCED.

There is no potential 'new' audience for this show. If they like it they will have seen the original film.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#10
Posted: 6/6/08 at 6:32pm
"What an incredibly stupid idea."

"It's a bit late for more BWW April Fools' Jokes"

"If it ain't broke- don't fix it!"

"This will be horrible!!!!"

"Stupid idea"

Amen! What does Cameron know about making films? Is this going to be his A Little Night Music?!

hollywearsprada Profile Photohollywearsprada Profile Photo
hollywearsprada
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#11
Posted: 6/6/08 at 9:29pm
Keira Knightly's been cast as Eliza, according to WENN.

If this movie wasn't going to be awful enough already, they cast HER in it.

I don't even have words to express what I'm feeling about this right now.
"That's my trouble! I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#12
Posted: 6/6/08 at 11:14pm
Knightly has probably been cast because someone thinks she has a "Hepburn" quality about her. (So why do it?).
princessofpower Profile Photoprincessofpower Profile Photo
princessofpower
Understudy
Understudy
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#13
Posted: 6/7/08 at 6:02am
"Knightly has probably been cast because someone thinks she has a "Hepburn" quality about her. (So why do it?). "

...In as much that some 'unknown' extremely talented person will have to do the singing track for her!

I say give Joanna Riding a chance to shine again.....if this has to be done at all, that is!
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#14
Posted: 6/7/08 at 6:33am
Zeta Jones wanted it but demanded to much control!
...she's a little old now but then the camera can do miracles!
Updated On: 6/7/08 at 06:33 AM
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#15
Posted: 6/7/08 at 10:42am
Pleeeeeaaaaase... Keira has already killed Elizabeth Bennet in Joe Wright's version of Pride and Prejudice. Put her under arrest so that she could not do harm anymore to the movie industry !
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#16
Posted: 6/7/08 at 9:03pm
Julie Andrews as Mrs Higgins.
Daniel Craig is in negotiations for Prf. Higgins
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#17
Posted: 6/8/08 at 3:42am
When I first saw Catherine Zeta Jones' name I thought you were going to say ahe was cast as Mrs Higgins.

I feel uncertain about Daniel Craig but it's an interesting idea.

Nosferatu: I can't say that the remake of P&P impressed me either!
Nosferatu Profile PhotoNosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#18
Posted: 6/8/08 at 6:01am
Well you're not a basic American Teenage girl, so I think you cannot be impressed ! (Especially if you love the book!)
Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#19
Posted: 6/8/08 at 6:30am
Yes - I suppose they are all aimed at the American teenage market and that explains things. I'm beginning to dread the new Brideshead Revisited as well now.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#20
Posted: 6/9/08 at 8:27am
Angela lansbury is now in negotiations for Mrs Pearce.
I still cant see the need for this to be done.
Updated On: 6/9/08 at 08:27 AM
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#21
Posted: 6/13/08 at 2:36pm
Angela Lansbury would be great obviously. But I don't get Daniel Craig as Higgins! That certainly isn't going back to Shaw, although he did refer in the sequel to the age gap being 20 years, which is about right. But it does sound like they are very much following the same Duncan Kenworthy casting road as trodden in the likes of Love Actually. And to be getting down to casting this quickly means they are not hanging around. I am almost surprised that it is being listed as a 2010 release.

Is the casting all being done in the UK or is Columbia ratifying the choices?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#22
Posted: 6/13/08 at 2:40pm
Its shocking the number of A list stars who are almost on bended knees to get seen in this, which all i can see being is like a TV movie version, just like the Glenn Close 'South Pacific' in 2001- how dreadful was that?!?
Updated On: 6/14/08 at 02:40 PM
ladybegood
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#23
Posted: 6/13/08 at 3:25pm
Why???

But I have to say that I don't see Duncan Kenworthy doing a South Pacific on it. As a producer, he is quite safe hands. It is just rather a surprising option for him to want to do. But he is on record as saying that he has wanted to do it for years, so presumably he has a vision for it that he must believe in. And that makes me think that people might be jumping on the anti bandwagon a little bit too soon.

If Daniel Craig is in it, I thought they were supposed to be wanting Daniel Day Lewis, it might not be my personal choice (as Keira Knightley wouldn't be eithher), but I can start to see it doing quite well. And I probably would (hangs head) go to see it!

Who are these other luminaries wanting to be involved? And is it indeed their casting decisions or are Columbia vetting it?
H.Higgins Profile PhotoH.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'My Fair Lady' -The Movie#24
Posted: 6/14/08 at 12:11am
Surprised no one's posted this, especially since it's a London publication:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2091862/Keira-Knightley-to-reprise-Audrey-Hepburn-role-in-My-Fair-Lady-remake.html

Not Daniel Craig (thank God; he'd be incredibly miscast as Higgins), but Daniel Day-Lewis rather.