Shows to See While In England this June

TiffanyB Profile PhotoTiffanyB Profile Photo
TiffanyB
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Shows to See While In England this June#1
Posted: 5/19/08 at 7:15pm
Hi all,
Sorry to be posting this-I know everyone's sick of these threads but..
wondering what shows are worth seeing in London while I'm there this summer. Ill be there June 10-July 2nd visiting family so I have time for quite a few shows. Not too much budget...but I will make it work..
Was looking at Billy Elliot, Evita, Fiddler, Les Mis...
any suggestions/opinions are welcome
thanks,
tiffany
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Fiddler and Evita are LONG closed. Les Miz is tired, but getting a new cast in June which may help.

Billy Elliot isn't one of the cheaper shows in town, but people seem to love it.

Marguerite will still be at the Haymarket, and discounts are around. It's not OMGBrilliant but not bad. If big and splashy is your thing, see Lord of the Rings before it closes just for the visuals. You can get tickets for as little as 15.

The Harder They Come will be at the Playhouse, and for a west end musical the prices are cheap. I liked it quite a bit at the Barbican.

Of course, the National always offers good deals on shows, and there is a wealth of opportunity on the Fringe.
loveplays
Understudy
Understudy
I have seen Billy Elliott both times I was in London, and I loved it both times so I would highly recommend it. I also saw Les Mis which I love. I also saw Blood Brothers which I thought was just okay nothing special I do like the music but that was about it. I would love to see Brief Encounter which I am hoping has another extension for I will be back in late Oct early Nov. Enjoy yourself London is a great city.
TiffanyB Profile PhotoTiffanyB Profile Photo
TiffanyB
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Haha my mistake on Fiddler and Evita!
What about Cabaret? West Side Story?

I think broadwayworld.com still has all these shows listed under London...
Updated On: 5/19/08 at 08:13 PM
exedore
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cabaret is still open and very much a love/hate type of production.

WSS is not open yet.

Loveplays brings up Brief Encounter, which I forgot about after having my mind numbed by a visit to Gone With The Wind last night, and I have to recommend it as a wonderful evening. Brief Encounter, that is. GWTW is rubbish.
Eastwickian Profile PhotoEastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you're on a budget - Billy Elliot does day seats at 25(?) for seats in the front row, and Lord of the Rings has top price seats for 25 for Thursday matinees. If you want plays, Brief Encounter and 39 Steps are both great fun (and at the tkts booth) and don't forget to check out whats's on at the National (they often have cheap day seats too)...

"Murder is a very British thing, isn't it? I mean, it's almost like a hobby over there."
"Why do you insist you must hear the words? When you know I cannot give you words. Not the ones you need..."

kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Michael Ball in Hairspray is NOT to be missed -- heck the entire cast is terrific, and well worth a visit, even if you have already seen the show.
JIJane
Stand-by
Stand-by
You may want to go down to Chichester (1 1/2 hours on the train) and see The Music Man.
vmlinnie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW's London section is always in need of an update.
The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller