'Cabaret' has new Emcee

WickedBoy2 Profile PhotoWickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
'Cabaret' has new Emcee#1
Posted: 3/14/08 at 3:24pm
'Cabaret' has new Emcee

Alistair McGowan has, it seems, gotten a taste for musicals! - i think he will be great in the part, he is rather sinister at the best of times!
21st April for 12 weeks.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
Updated On: 3/14/08 at 03:24 PM
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#2
Posted: 3/14/08 at 8:27pm
I thought he was good in Little Shop
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#2
Posted: 3/15/08 at 1:37am
What is this production like? As I'm unlikely to see it, how does it compare with Donmar/Broadway version (which I loved) of a few years back?
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#3
Posted: 3/15/08 at 6:13am
Dont go anywhere near this one then!
A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#4
Posted: 3/15/08 at 8:34am
I thought as much.
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#5
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:44pm
I'm glad to know they've stopped the stereotypical casting in that role.

This production is a bit ropey. Poor low budget sets and costumes (sometimes no costumes at all) and a small band that doesn't do the score justice. Crass choreography that purports to be decadent but is merely adolescent.

Having said that I thought, when I saw it a few weeks ago, that Angela Richards was superb and it was great to see Barry James in a sympathetic role (rather than the villains, weirdos and pervs he usually gets) which he handled with aplomb. Amy Nuttall managed to convey Sally's foolishness and hopelessness whilst still giving the audience pleny of bang for their buck, whilst Steven Cree got a good handle on all of Cliff's ambiguity, determination and frustration. Valerie Cutko was a charismatic and enigmatic Fraulein Kost. They are all let down by the low-budget and abstract physical production which seems to detract from them rather than complement them.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#6
Posted: 3/16/08 at 5:50pm
Scripps! Its BK- what did you expect! This is great casting tho.
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#7
Posted: 3/16/08 at 6:24pm
True!

I'm holding off booking for The Vortex simply because it's BK.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#8
Posted: 3/16/08 at 6:31pm
Me too. i have such mind blowing memories of Maria Aitken and Rupert baby! Tho, im sure Felicity does a great show- she had great reviews! Its just 'another' Peter Hall directed show for BK.
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#9
Posted: 3/16/08 at 6:37pm
I missed that and Will Young at the Royal Exchange - why couldn't someone at the National have done it instead!
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#10
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:07pm
yay, I'm glad now! re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee I'm looking forward to this a lot. I for one love this production, possibly as it's the only one of cabaret I've seen. and also, it's going to be a nice change to see how Alastair is going to play it. Very interesting. All of next week, starting tomorrow (the 17th) the emcee is being played by Christopher Akrill, who was in the ensemble before as one of the dancers. I'm going to go and give him a try, I always love seeing understudies in main roles. and, I have too much spare time. :P
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#11
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:08pm
Go see Brief Encounter!
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#12
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:15pm
Do they have a student discount policy? Being 16, I don't have a student loan to fall back on. but I do always have parents. :P and odd jobs.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#13
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:23pm
If youve seen Cabaret why not give something else a go? Brief Encounter is amazing and mixes many different elements of theatre into one brilliant performance.
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#14
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:33pm
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new things, I just really liked Christopher Akrill when I saw him, and was interested in seeing him. But a different show sounds like a better idea, tbh.
WickedBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#15
Posted: 3/16/08 at 7:40pm
Tell Mum and Dad your seeing Brief Encounter and they'll pay up! Cabaret is around for at least the summer- see something new, in the future you'll regret not seeing so many things if you just go back to the same shows!!!
twitchy+bitchy+manic
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: 'Cabaret' has new Emcee#16
Posted: 3/16/08 at 8:22pm
hey, I appreciate the variety of performance by different actors! :P I'll probs be able to get them, truedat. And then Major Barbara. Have you seen that yet? Is it as good as the reviews are saying for the most part?