Is Wicked In Trouble?

RadioFan
Understudy
Understudy
Is Wicked In Trouble?#1
Posted: 5/24/07 at 2:28pm
Heard on BBC Local Radio from an 'Industry Insider' that the word on the street is that Wicked is to close later this year.
Any thoughts?
turquoisefish Profile Phototurquoisefish Profile Photo
turquoisefish
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#2
Posted: 5/24/07 at 3:38pm
I hope it isn't true, but i think it will close before it does in New York.
The Apollo Victoria is a huge theatre and it is easy to see the theatre half empty and presume it is doing badly (it was about half empty when i went to a matinee earlier this year).
Marcus2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#2
Posted: 5/25/07 at 4:53am
I doubt it will be, even if it sells at a 80% its selling out the Gershwin (if that makes sense) so it doesn't need to be full to be racking in the money and I'm sure it is.

I do think it needs more publicity on TV etc but it should be around for a little longer I will say!
widgetsparky
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#3
Posted: 5/25/07 at 5:26am
i think they will announce its closing at the end of the year. its a very expensive show and currently plays to about 60% i believe.
songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#4
Posted: 5/25/07 at 9:44am
This kinda makes sense because they have been loads of whispers about a 2008 tour of the show .
Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
wicked_fiyero79 Profile Photowicked_fiyero79 Profile Photo
wicked_fiyero79
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#5
Posted: 5/25/07 at 3:46pm
Looks like I'd better get down to London to see this before it does. Havent seen it since last year and really want to see Kerry Ellis as Elpheba
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#6
Posted: 5/25/07 at 3:55pm
I;m a bit supprised that attendance has dropped so fast, but i doubt the producers will close the show just yet. Would be interesting to see how it does in the slow months after summer, I'll never forget going to Lion King (normally in NYC it sells out months inadvance) and in London in September, it was just me and 5 other people in the whole balcony.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#7
Posted: 5/26/07 at 9:10am
I think Hairspray is going to come in to London and be HUGE competition for Hairspray, Hairspray is also a far better show and will have all the hype of the film around it to.
Song & Dance
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#8
Posted: 5/26/07 at 12:13pm
Went to see Wicked last night 25/5/7 to see new cast members madame morrible and elphaba. I thought i would have to queue for returns which all part of the fun but got there at 6pm and there will seats still available of all prices. I was in the circle row J and there was only 4 other people in it. I reckon it was 90% full. maybe because bank holiday!!
CHGriffiths Profile PhotoCHGriffiths Profile Photo
CHGriffiths
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#9
Posted: 5/29/07 at 6:48am
If im being ohnest i really dont think wicked is going to close. It may have low attendance but it is still selling more tickets than most shows, its just that the theatre's soooo big, and i really cant see it closing because they are booking untill next march and it was only a month ago they extended Kerry Ellis' contract till July 2008 so if it is going to close it wont be till mid next year, minimum, but i reckon they might change the theatre!
"If you talk about my family I will punch you in the fanny so hard it'll end up on your face... oh, looks like someone beat me to it!" - Dawn French
winston89 Profile Photowinston89 Profile Photo
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#10
Posted: 5/29/07 at 2:38pm
Wicked is playing The Gershwin theatre on broadway which is the biggest broadway theatre. It sells out every single preformence since it started to play there. I think that because the producers have made more then a million US dollars on the broadway production they are using the money from that production to fund the other us and international prodcutions. Keep in mind, that there is a production of the show in Chicago and in LA as well as broadway. ON broadway is the only place where it is sold out night after night after night.

It's the same reason why disney keeps the Lion King open in Lonond. Ture, the theatre is mostly empty from what I have read. But, because its disney they are keeping it open because they aren't loosing any money(or at least any huge amounts) by doing so and are gaining very little. Now, we all know that disney shows can easilly play forever because hey it's disney producing the shows. But, the point that I am trying to make by comparing the two is that when a show makes a ton of money from one producton they use that money to fund other productions. There are 4 companies of Wicked in America. Broadway,Chicago,LA and the natonal tour. I think that thye are mking enough moey with this show that it can open up everywhere and not have to close at all anytime soon. At the end of this yearr they are going to open up a Tokyo production as well as a Germany production. I know that Universal studios(which produces the show) created a 30 min theme park version of the show for thier tokyo theme park and now are taking it out of the park and giving Tokyo it's own full production. And, Universal is creating another park(I forgot where) and planning to add the wicked theme park show to it's new park. The thing with wicked is that becuase it's produced by universal there are the same financial situations that you would get with a disney show. The fact that they will never have problems with running costs ect. The onlyu difference is that Wicked is actually selling out oevery night on broadway whereas most of the diisney show's arent.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
david_rhysuk Profile Photodavid_rhysuk Profile Photo
david_rhysuk
Understudy
Understudy
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#11
Posted: 5/29/07 at 7:15pm
well said, lol.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#12
Posted: 5/29/07 at 9:44pm
i would be very surprised if The US production is going to put money in to the UK production that isn't doing as well especially since they would make money from closing the show in London if its loosing them money
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#13
Posted: 5/30/07 at 10:35am
I mean think of it this way. Where do you think they got the money to mount the west end production? Do you think they went to Oz themselves to get the money? No, they had made a mint doing the broadway production and then used that money to mount the west end production. They are making so much money from the broadway and other american productions of the show that to have one production that isn't doing as well as the rest isn't that big a financial problem for them. Take a look at the fact that one producer of the show is a major international movie studio. I think that universal isn't loosing that much money to keep one production open and theat even if they do close it they would not save as much money as you think. And with the amount they are making from the other US productiions they can easilly afford to have one that isn't doing so well. It has so much money in it that the show can easilly afford to have on production that isn' doing as well and still not loose that much money that it would be worth closing it down.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
Marcus2
Understudy
Understudy
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#14
Posted: 5/30/07 at 3:35pm
Went to the matinee today and it was full to the brim. I think its just a usual slump in sales, probably due to exams etc that so many people that would usually see wicked have. Come summer I bet it starts doing much better sales. Even the day ticket queue at 7:45 (which usually at that time has bout 4 people) had 26 so it all good really. And they need to get Kerry Ellis in the public eye, she is amazing!!
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#15
Posted: 5/31/07 at 8:32am
I forgot to take that into account. On broadway ticket sales thrive on tourists being in the city. So, during the times between late January up unitl about now ticket sales on broadway don't do so well. I have a feeling that this could have been the case fo the west end productiion.
alterego Profile Photoalterego Profile Photo
alterego
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#16
Posted: 6/1/07 at 10:04am
Universal are also co producing the Melbourne (Australia) production due to open July 2008.
lakezurich Profile Photolakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#17
Posted: 6/2/07 at 1:25am
The show continually is selling out in Chicago. Don't forget about Us!! I mean sure, once in a blue moon you can show up at the box office and they have tickets for that night, but otherwise you have to get tickets at least 2 months in advance. I mean, originally the producers only planned on the sit-down staying here for a year at most, but we are very close to celebrating the 2 year aniversary.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical
Updated On: 6/2/07 at 01:25 AM
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#18
Posted: 6/3/07 at 3:12am
I don't wanna forget bout the wonderful theatre community in Chicago. But, the only place you can easilly score a ticket to Wicked in America is LA. That is because they don't have a huge theatre community at all.

The thing is this, Universal is producing the show and will do so for every production of it. Disney does this as well which is why there is a production of The Lion King in what feels like every country. Difference is that Wicked doesn't have the name of Universal smeeered all over it like any Disney show does. And a show looks at how much it is making from its original production to see if it makes sense to use that money too help creat another production. The one on Broadway is selling out every night. They used the money from this production to create the natonal tour then the Chicago production. Now, there is a production in London and LA with ones in Germany, Tokyo and Melbourne to follow. If it wasn't for the huge money maker that came from the broadeway production then none of the other poductions would even happen
Brave Sir Robin2 Profile PhotoBrave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#19
Posted: 6/3/07 at 2:17pm
And Amstredam, too.

I saw a video on YouTube and look up "Wicked Nickelodeon." It said closing 22/5/0?. I'm guessing 08?

"But, the only place you can easilly score a ticket to Wicked in America is LA. That is because they don't have a huge theatre community at all."

Winston, do you know what you are talking about? We have the Ahmanson, Taper, Pantages, Wilshire, Wadsworth and Brentwood. We also had the Shubert, where Wicked would have probably played if it was still open. Stupid ABC. We had Downtown LA and the chic, glamorous Hollywood. We also have Pasadena Playhouse, Geffen, Rednod Beach CLO, Warner Grand, Doolittle, Royce Hall, and more. We have many theatres, regional or touring.
"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop
Mark_E Profile PhotoMark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#20
Posted: 6/3/07 at 2:33pm
"I saw a video on YouTube and look up "Wicked Nickelodeon." It said closing 22/5/0?. I'm guessing 08?"

It was 07, and it was the closing date for the competition, not the show.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#21
Posted: 6/4/07 at 2:24pm
Brave sir Robin,

When I said that LA doesn't have a huge theatre community I ment that theatre there isn't that big. In Chicago and New York it is an activity to do by tourists. LA is known for having movies and there are more people visiting the city that would rather take a tour of a movie studio then see a musical because that is the thing to do in LA. On broaway the tourist thing to do is to is see a broadway show.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#22
Posted: 6/4/07 at 2:24pm
Brave sir Robin,

When I said that LA doesn't have a huge theatre community I ment that theatre there isn't that big. In Chicago and New York it is an activity to do by tourists. LA is known for having movies and there are more people visiting the city that would rather take a tour of a movie studio then see a musical because that is the thing to do in LA. On broaway the tourist thing to do is to is see a broadway show.
Wicked63
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#23
Posted: 6/18/07 at 2:13pm
Hi there guys! I work on Wicked in London. I can 100% promise you that in no way do the producers see Wicked as being in any kind of trouble. I work in the accounts side of the show and it is at present sailing along the line of profit that was projected last year before the show opened. No it is not sold out but then no other West End show is (and that includes The Sound Of Music). The Drowsey Chaperone is on the Half Price Ticket Booth almost every performance and that includes the night after it opened. The next show for that theatre is already roumored for December!!! Wicked is contracted at the Apollo till March 08 and again despite rumours, the show is NOT slated to tour the UK at the moment. Remember there are 100s of show that have played the West End with tremendous success but never tour. The West End community is totally different to the touring one. Hope you enjoy Wicked for some time to come.
Clara's Pony Profile PhotoClara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Is Wicked In Trouble?#24
Posted: 6/18/07 at 6:45pm
I went the other night and while I had no problems turning up during the day and getting a ticket the theatre looked pretty full, around 90%. I really doubt this show is closing anytime soon, also Kerry Ellis just had her contract extended for another year. Wicked63, I also saw the DrowSY Chaperone last week and it was almost full; I also think you'll find that they're booking until the 23rd February, and while I don't think it'll extend it should certainly last until then. I think it should break even, I don't think the producers will make huge profits though.
Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...