Page: 1

Mamma Mia In Manchester

songanddanceman2 Profile Photosonganddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mamma Mia In Manchester#1
Posted: 11/26/06 at 9:35pm
Just wanted to share some of my thoughts as ive now had to watch this 11 times(i work there).

I hated this show before it came to Manchester but its growing on me a bit.Some of the moments in this show are so funny(i still laugh every time i watch the 2 actors do Take A Chance On Me)but so much of this show is awfull to.

Loads of the audience members have slated the story line and said they shouldnt have had one for all it was worth.
One scary lady screamed at me for 20 mins about how she wanted a refund because she hated the show(she sooooooo diddn't get one) but mainly the audience are loving it but you can tell that a lot of them havent been to the theatre before but hey at least it's got them in to theatre.

The cast are all very freindly and have really clicked with the staff at the palace(we all drink to much)

The performaces by most of the cast are fine(though the lovely actress who sings does your mother sounds awfull but she knows it so thats ok hehehe)
At first i really diddnt like Katie Bryden playing sophie ,her voice was weak and lacked any tone but she has really grown in to the part and now sings it very well.

The whole night belongs to Jackie Clune though ,WOW what a great voice and amazing stage presence(she sounds awesome during winner takes it all).As for the boys well they are all very sexy but all very sweet to(though they cant hold there drink,lightweights hehe).

What does bug me a bit is that how dwarfed the show looks on the Palace stage(manchester has the biggest stage outside of london and actually bigger than a lot of the big London theatres).The show would have fitted better in our sister theatre down the road called the Opera House.Though i can see why they came to us since we hold 2000 and they are selling 2000 tickets a night.

Had a bit of a shock last week when a customer(who is a building suveyor) wrote to the council and the police etc because he said the Circle and the Grand Tier shook to much when the audience got up to dance.
For the next few nights the audience werent alloowed to dance at the end untill the building had been checked out(can you imagine trying to stop 2000 people from dancing?it wassn't pretty)
Needless to say there is nothing wrong at all so its all back to its usual dancy self).

For all Mamma Mia faults though i have to admit its good fun(though act 2 drags with all them bloody back to back ballads).

Next up for the Palace ,High Society ,The Producers as well as the premiere of Damon Albarns new musical,CANT WAIT.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
ruthiefan_felix Profile Photoruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#1
Posted: 11/27/06 at 11:18am
I really like this show... just pure its plain fun... esp the encore bit! How's Paul Spicer in the show?
All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings
newsome_ben Profile Photonewsome_ben Profile Photo
newsome_ben
Understudy
Understudy
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#2
Posted: 11/28/06 at 4:16pm
gota few friends in this show, Poria Emare, Alex Jessop and Ross Furlong. How are they in the show? hadnt had chance to see it yet so was just wandering if anybody had any comments about them?
"That outbound train, has one less passenger."
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#3
Posted: 11/29/06 at 10:50am
all the cast are great ( well almost) ,alex is great as are all the guys
Musical_Fan_Vix
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#4
Posted: 11/29/06 at 2:35pm
The show is totally FANTASTIC...

Ben - Alex is amazing in the show...

Going back up on the 30th December....and then again in Jan....

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#5
Posted: 11/29/06 at 7:39pm
well be extra nice to my front of house staff as they are having a bloody nightmare with this show haha
Musical_Fan_Vix
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#6
Posted: 11/30/06 at 2:07am
We are always nice to Front of House staff....
No wine untasted
Swing
Swing
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#7
Posted: 11/30/06 at 4:39am
I've been three times in Manchester now, and I love the show!! I had some doubts about the guys playing Pepper and Eddie at first, I thought they lacked a bit of spontaneity but they're growing on me now. Jackie Clune is fantastic!!!!

Credit to the FOH staff too, who all look extremely harassed, especially when they have to sneak coachloads of late arriving pensioners into the front stalls midway through Act 1!!!
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#8
Posted: 11/30/06 at 5:12am
to songanddanceman2

allow me a moment..

TOLD YOU SO, TOLD YOU SO!!

I feel better now, the ultimate Mamma Mia hater is warming to it - great!

If Mamma Mia looks lost at the Palace wait until High Society comes, it wil be a tiny spec (worst show ive seen in a long time - great film - naff staging).

If you think Mamma Mia audience is bad, try the Dirty dancing lot!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#9
Posted: 11/30/06 at 9:10am
hahaha to no wine untasted

Yes you obviously have seen the nightmares we have had with this

Last night the show went up with 100s of seats empty due to a concert and a football match been on in manchester.

bus load after bus load kept arriving ,it took us up till gimmie gimmie gimmie to get everyone in Arrrgh nightmare.

Plus for some reasson most of our audience for this seem to be drunk (i got my balls and arse grabbed in the same night by drunk women yuk(i felt violated hahaha)

To NS
Oh shut your mouth hahaha,i still dont think its a great show( hello storyline) but it is growing on me.

We got told high society are using 40 percent of our stage what seems stupid but mamma mia issnt using much either(i think 70 percent)

97jrobbins Profile Photo97jrobbins Profile Photo
97jrobbins
Swing
Swing
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#10
Posted: 12/3/06 at 6:43pm
I've never seen Mamma Mia, but it is normally seen as one of the few 'Jukebox' musicals that has a GOOD storyline!
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#11
Posted: 12/3/06 at 6:59pm
i guess its not the story thats bad its just done badly ,The story flits in and out of that show and to be honest the audience really dont care about the story.
The song lyrics 90 percent of the time dont match what they are supposed to be singing about and other songs are just cued in really awfully like money money money.
No wine untasted
Swing
Swing
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#12
Posted: 12/4/06 at 6:24am
What I like about Mamma Mia is that it's totally unashamed about the groan inducing cue in to the songs and the way that its all done with a nod and wink to the audience. The show knows that it isn't a brilliant work of art and, right from the outset, it makes that perfectly clear. It's just a great "turn your brain off and enjoy" sort of show.

songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#13
Posted: 12/8/06 at 9:02am
*Update*
Well Its been understudy week this week with jackie clunes(donna) and katie Bryden been(sophie) been out of the show this week.
There understudies were very mixed in success.

Jackies understudy issnt a patch on her,a weak voice and very little edge,but katies understudy was FANTASTIC.

The show is a month in to its 12 week run and showing no sign of slowing down(we are a 2000 capacity theatre and the audience hassnt fallen below 1980) so the staff are shattered.

The paloace is even recruting more staff to help out with this now as its just so bloody busy(producers is looking the same way to).

This will easily beat chitty,saigon and My fair lady that played the theatre in the past year and be the palaces most succesfull show in years(till the producers open)

Well done Mamma Mia

wow i need sleep
NS
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#14
Posted: 12/8/06 at 9:40am
'No Wine Untasted' you are so right!

I see its in Bristol next Christmas, maybe 2008 will be the year of the Mamma Mia UK tour.

Mamma Mia would always draw a bigger crowd because of ABBA. I think The Producers will only do as well as Peter kay is in it, if it wasnt for him The Producers wouldnt draw quite so big crowds
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#15
Posted: 12/9/06 at 7:10pm
well we had the lovely peter kay in tonight checking out the theatre for when he comes in for the producers.
He also watched the show and was up and dancing at the end and had a great night.
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#16
Posted: 12/16/06 at 5:45pm
well

a nice night last night after the show ,the cast crew and FOh were invited to watch a video what was all the mamma mia casts from around the world wishing each other and there fans a merry xmas also doing some comedy versions of the songs and some xmas songs.

The cast of manchester had filmed a bit to to repressent the international tour ,it was really a lot of fun.

The same night the curtain had to come down half way through act 2 when all the sound cut out on stage ,dooh

Musical_Fan_Vix
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#17
Posted: 12/18/06 at 3:06pm
Just booked my tickets for the 30th Dec
songanddanceman2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mamma Mia In Manchester#18
Posted: 1/31/07 at 10:12am
Well Mamma Mia bowed out of the palace theatre manchester on saturday night after a sold out 3 month run.

The cast were on top form and the audience loved it.

The show has been a massive success with people still turning up on saturday night for tickets even though we sold out months ago.

So now we get ready for high society for 9 days and then The producers for 3 months (yeeeeeeeeah)