Page: 1

West End First Timer

NYUstud Profile PhotoNYUstud Profile Photo
NYUstud
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
West End First Timer#0
Posted: 6/2/06 at 3:38pm
I am a New Yorker, and am going to be in London some this summer. I was wondering if you could give me some insight on how to get good theatre tickets in London. In NYC alot of theatres/shows do student rush which are generally great seats for only $20 or $30. Does the West End offer anything like that?
"So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart."-Wicked
Pinball Wizard Profile PhotoPinball Wizard Profile Photo
Pinball Wizard
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: West End First Timer#1
Posted: 6/2/06 at 6:52pm
Hi!

Many West End shows offer 'standby' seats from one hour before the performance, available at the box office in person - get there earlier. They are usually around 20.00. You can usually find out whether shows offer them on their websites or on flyers.

'Day Seats' are also available for many shows from 10.00am/10.30am/12.00am (check depending on the production). Sunday in the Park with George (a great show) has them for 15.00, Billy Elliot 25.00, Guys and Dolls used to do them at 20.00 - I don't know whether they still do.

Some plays offer cheap tickets in advance for under 26s if that's applicable. The upcoming production of Fool for Love with Juliette Lewis at the Apollo offers the front two rows for 20.00 for under 26s available by phone in advance.

Have a look at www.lastminute.com for some great London theatre offers, and www.ticketmaster.co.uk also. Generally shows like Mamma Mia!, Lion King, Mary Poppins, Evita, Billy Elliot don't do special offers, but you can get held back tickets for Lion King and Mary Poppins from 12.00pm - however they're full price.

Hope this helps!

Updated On: 6/2/06 at 06:52 PM
NYUstud Profile PhotoNYUstud Profile Photo
NYUstud
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: West End First Timer#2
Posted: 6/3/06 at 12:13pm
Wow thank you! Great info!
"So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart."-Wicked
katie_spain
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: West End First Timer#3
Posted: 6/7/06 at 10:01am
I think it was mentioned earlier but lastminute.com have deals on at the moment for half price West End tickets... they also have a number or Q&A nights and Meet and Greets which can add a special touch to the night.

Some of the 50% off deals on there now (I did a quick search) are:
Sinatra, Guys and Dolls, See How They Run, Blood Brothers, The Rat Pack, Les Mis & Blue Man Group. The best bet is you browse through yourself. The Play's the Thing also has cheap tickets on offer... it'd be a good chance to get involved with a West End first.

I'd personally recommend heading to the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. It's set in the most amazing park in London - and if you're coming over soon, you'll even get some sun :)

A midsummers Night dream is 50% off on lastminute.com and The Taming of The Shrew is also showing there. I went on my first date with my boyfriend there... still going strong!

Have a fantastic time.
lastminute.com